Mangled Roof Strut

teledork

Pinyon Jay
The rear panel had become difficult to lift - like it was catching on something. I discovered that one of the struts was mangled - looks like one screw on the upper bracket was loose, the other one sheared off and the bracket is
bent. There was nothing I could do but remove it - I can still lift and lower the roof - had a FWC for 12 years with out the lift assist.

So I need to have the broken screw drilled out and the strut replaced - I'm guessing I can't reuse the one I have unless I can replace the bracket.

What kind of business would do this kind of work? Camper shell place? RV store? Or is it possible to do it myself? with some help?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ok. Thanks to Dirt Farmer Jay on Youtube I was able to remover the bracket from the strut.

edit to add: the strut I removed is longer than the other one - hmmmm -

What is your poundage and model number of the struts? I have some in the shop not using and if it is a match you can swing by when you are in town and get them. Patrick

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Maybe the unequal length of the lifting struts caused the problem over time.
I should think they need to be the same length.

Frank

PS Great suggestion from Steve.
The lift was fine up until recently. I think it may be a chicken/egg kind of thing. And yes - I'll call Marty.

Here are a couple of images of what I found makes taking off or on easy.

20201208_115118_resized_1.jpg
20201208_115159_resized_1.jpg

pvstoy said:
What is your poundage and model number of the struts? I have some in the shop not using and if it is a match you can swing by when you are in town and get them. Patrick
IGS part # ICU416885BB0134, 30 lb

The strut still has gas (I have lived a large part of my life with non working struts on a camper shell) so I may be able to reuse it? I don't know -

And thanks for the images - I did get the mangled bracket off thanks to Youtube and I can see how using that ratchet strap can put the genie back in the bottle so to speak.

I have two 40 pounds and four 20 pound Suspa struts. I have no 30 pounds struts.

Full extended about 35 5/8" eye clip to eye clip and shaft that compresses into the housing is about 16" long.

Don't know your specifications to your number you have. The 40 pounders maybe too strong for you to get the top back down and 20 pounder are too soft as you are used to 30 pounders.

pvstoy said:
I have two 40 pounds and four 20 pound Suspa struts. I have no 30 pounds struts.

Full extended about 35 5/8" eye clip to eye clip and shaft that compresses into the housing is about 16" long.

Don't know your specifications to your number you have. The 40 pounders maybe too strong for you to get the top back down and 20 pounder are too soft as you are used to 30 pounders.
Thanks for looking. I'm going to call Marty - I definitely need more information. And then I need to get a broken screw out. And a new bracket - I should get a photo and post it.

My struts that I Installed myself are the #40 ones #C16-15952.
I have no trouble with raising/lowering the roof.

It will be interesting to hear what caused the problem.
Frank
I don't think I'll ever know for certain what happened - if the outer screw came loose before or after the inner one sheared off. I wonder if it could have been something as simple as a Jeffrey Pine cone. I jumped when I heard one hit my camper the last time I was out. Free-fall - there was no sound of it crashing through the tree - but I studied biology, not physics so I could be way off base. I do know that we suffered enough damage from Sabiniana cones when we lived in the foothills that we would move the vehicles out from under the trees on a stormy night (and then the mice in the barn would wreak havoc)

I didn't get to talk to Marty, I am not sure if I asked the right questions and some of them went unanswered. I am being sent a new bracket and then I guess I see what I can do from there. I tend to have panic attacks when sharing busy highways with unpredictable drivers so a trip to Sacramento is not in the cards and I still don't know what kind of business I would go to for this kind of service. Maybe I just won't have a lift strut anymore.

teledork said:
I don't think I'll ever know for certain what happened - if the outer screw came loose before or after the inner one sheared off. I wonder if it could have been something as simple as a Jeffrey Pine cone. I jumped when I heard one hit my camper the last time I was out. Free-fall - there was no sound of it crashing through the tree - but I studied biology, not physics so I could be way off base. I do know that we suffered enough damage from Sabiniana cones when we lived in the foothills that we would moved the vehicles out from under the trees on a stormy night (and then the mice in the barn would wreak havoc)

I didn't get to talk to Marty, I am not sure if I asked the right questions and some of them went unanswered. I am being sent a new bracket and then I guess I see what I can do from there. I tend to have panic attacks when sharing busy highways with unpredictable drivers so a trip to Sacramento is not in the cards and I still don't know what kind of business I would go to for this kind of service. Maybe I just won't have a lift strut anymore.
You’re going to be happier with the gas struts. If it were me, I’d repair it.

If the screw is sticking out, a good pair of vice grips should get enough hold to back it out. If it’s flush, I’d take it to a machine shop to (if possible) drill it and then use an easy out. A heating/sheet metal shop might be another option. The new screws may need to be one size larger.

I think you could use new screws and move the mount over a 1/2" maybe for fresh frame material.
The brackets aren't really that hard to install.
Frank
+1. Just move it over a bit. You might need to move the other end too. 3m 4200 to seal any holes too

I think you could use new screws and move the mount over a 1/2" maybe for fresh frame material.
The brackets aren't really that hard to install.
Frank
That is what I was told and what I intend to do.

Back
Top Bottom