Maps of BLM and national forest managed areas?

srileo

Hi all,
am wondering if there are specific maps anywhere that chart BLM lands so i can plan boondocking and camping areas?

The califonia BLM has these field offices and they have some land use type maps but nothing online that is zoomable.

There are these print maps as well, but nothing for evaluative planning.
http://www.ctuc.info/ctuc/index.php/maps/34-ctuc-closer-than-ever-to-reaching-goal

How do folks know what BLM areas are worth exploring nearby? Google maps is great, but you never know if it is public or private land...

Thanks for your advise,
Sri

Plus this paragraph is like a free pass if you are prepared.

"Most of the public lands administered by the Mother Lode Field Office are available for casual camping, which means you can set up camp outside a developed campground. If you do, you will be expected to set up a fire-safe camp, with adequate sanitary arrangements. Casual campers should also bring their own drinking water; the water available in many rivers, streams or lakes is not suitable for human consumption without treatment." (http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/folsom/camping.html)

Check each area for their specific restrictions. I can live without a fire, and leave no trace is not that difficult since I love going to pristine places, and want to leave that for the next person, too.

As a retired BLM employee, I'm surprised your are having problems finding out what you need-must because of budget cuts because one of the BLM's main jobs is/and has been to map the usa and to provide maps to other agencies and the public.The BLM was first formed by merging the main us government mapping agency and the grazing service back in the early 1930's! Every BLM State Office, District and Resourse area ( now called Field Office) has a map room; and a call to any office or going on the SO web site should be able to answer your questions on what is available; dropping by any office (FS too) works even better. Each office should have recreational, mineral and topographic maps of their areas of responsibility. For some reason you need to call to order maps from the BLM, while the FS has a mapping office in Idaho where you can go on line (usfsmaps.gov.)and order USFS or othe types of maps. Really detailed topographic maps are available at most offices and on the usgs.gov web site.There are lot's of web sites that give information on what maps are available and once you find out where you want to go, these sites are of great help.

Of late the various agencies have been working together to improve their maps and many maps cover a region as opposed to a particular BLM District or USFS Forest and are in color. Oregon has a great selection of maps like those I just mentioned. Many states have a web site that lists all maps of all types available for thier areas. So to sum up, give a ring, or even better stop by any BLM or USFS office and be sure check out the USFS map office web site where they list what's available by state. One last bit of advice is to stop by the FS, or BLM (or local state agency) office that manages the area you want to go and ask what is going before you you go and play--it's their job to both help you and tell you what's going on in the area. Getting maps and planning trips is one of the best parts of wandering the west :love: ! And do what you just did, ask us what is out there because we all love to talk and over load you with more info than you need (if that's possible).

Smoke

Bseek,
thanks a lot for the tip on the "motherlode". I did not know that such a region name existed in california! I've been in this state about 5 years now and with a new truck and camper, i feel like i am just beginning to get to know all this.

SmokeCreek1,
wow, that was great info from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Being used to 'online everything', i am surprised that the BLM chooses to draw their maps by the regional sub office instead of a state level. Hopefully one of these days, their complete data will simply become a layer on google maps or earth just as 'terrain' and 'traffic' are. But you are right, there is a distinct thrill to hunting for maps, sourcing them and poring over details. They are the original story telling tools. I have their phone number and will be ordering the California level wall map for a start and then will probably go region by region.

Looking forward to meeting you and Bseek someday at a campground far away.
sri

SNLEO,

Don't get me wrong, there are maps designed for public use and GIS data/maps/info not generaly available to the public. Lot's of the GIS data is sensitive (for example, ark site locations, endangered plant locat, certain nesting, migration and breeding locations, etc.,) and is used for planning purposes only, but lot's other data sets are avaliable to the public in public planning documents, orv and trail maps, etc. Fire uses GIS data allot as do the mining, geological and recreation folks (as a matter of fact every one does these days) to put out lots of good stuff. I'm sure if you asked the right person you you could get access to some of it. Before I retired I rememember using old and more recent veg, watershed, animal migration routes and cultural layers to create some neat maps. Anyway, for the general public knowing where you are and what topographic features you might wander into in search of that 5 pointer buck, neat place to camp or those pan sized trout are more important. Enjoy you maps and visit your local office-they too like to talk about what they know and have fun out looking for neat places just waiting for some one to explore and have a cold one in (pack it out).

Smoke

Smoke

When I first went to work for CDF I was very disappointed to find out we used the same maps everyone else does. No secret maps. I'm sure admin had the stuff you're referring to.

Back
Top Bottom