Matress options for 1990 Hawk

4wsilver

I remember quite a few matress discussions regarding the older Four Wheel campers with the 2 inch mattresses but for some reason I get a lot of other discussion links back on searches but not what I remember. My current foam was replaced just before I purchased the unit by others and is good and I can't find better. However at 71, I need more cushion. Since I can't fit in thicker matresses, I am going to try other routes. What has caught my eye is the ALPS XXL units. The size is very close to the existing matresses. 30x77x4 (when inflated). While these are supposed to be self inflating, my experience with thermorest is that they almost inflate and then you have to blow them up a little more. The problem is that the moisture from your breath freezes inside the bag in cold weather and breaks down the foam. What I intend doing is to use a rechargible inflator/deflator like those used on air matresses. This will give a 4 inch mattress when inflated. I have liked the self inflating units in the past and found them to much better insulating than air matresses.

Does anyone have experience with these? Does anyone have any better suggestions or comments?

I'd like to hear more on this too. I have been searching like crazy as to not add redundancy but have not found anything specific to us with the 2" mattresses.

My current thought process is to:
A) Get a mattress topper
B ) Get two 4" mattresses made and keep one off the bed when the camper is down

The obvious downside of both of these is having to store something quite large. An air mattress does eliminate the downside but I have never really liked sleeping on air. One interesting mattress I have been considering is a folding mattress. Here is an example: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=folding+mattress

Let me know your thoughts and ideas as I cant think of anything better.

I tried something a little different and find the combination to work well. When I first purchased my hawk I had a 4" mattress made that was a lanminated 1" memory foam and 3" structural open cell. The mattress was on top of a Drymesh to allow ventilation. (The spec and source is in my history if you want to look it up). in order to further mitigate cold transmission from under the overcab in cold weather I decided to put a couple of 1.5" Thermarests side by side under the mattress but on top of the Drymesh. The plan was to deflate them when the pop top was down. Over time I found it more comfortable to not even inflate them and to let them take on or expel air as they see fit. I know it sounds strange but it is very comfortable and the moisture from filling them with your mouth is not a problem. Neither is their thickness because they make themselves small when the top comes down. The cold transmission from underneath is also mitigated. The condensation is also mitigated to an extent bur still requires drying when possible. When breaking camp I latch down the opposite side the valves are on first then tend to other things before latching down the valve end side.

Does anyone know what year FWC (and when ATC) increased the depth of the cabover to allow for a 4" mattress?

The newer models have additional depth that allows you to store your bedding on the bed?

(instead of removing it each time to close the roof?)

Thanks

BlueRidge said:
Does anyone know what year FWC (and when ATC) increased the depth of the cabover to allow for a 4" mattress?

The newer models have additional depth that allows you to store your bedding on the bed?

Thanks
I leave the bedding on my 2014 Grandby including a comforter and it closes no problem. I take the pillows off, though. There must be room to spare because FWC ships campers to their dealers with the disassembled table underneath the mattress cushions. I intend to purchase one of those 5 1/2" memory foam mattresses along with a sheet of HyperVent material underneath for ventilation and I foresee no problems with the extra thickness.

BlueRidge said:

Thanks
I have a 2009 with the thin bed cushion. I measure 2.5".

2020 said:
Memory foam RV mattresses. Many sizes available including 30" X 75". Different options for firmness also. Thickness is 5 1/2". I don't know how that will work for your Hawk but 3/4 full should work well for my Grandby.

http://www.mattressinsider.com/memory-foam-rv-mattresses.html
I think the whole reason for this thread is for those with the campers that don't have that room.

Yes the two halves of the mattress stacked on top of each other must not exceed about 4 inches. Remember that this is for a 1990 Hawk.

4wsilver said:
I remember quite a few matress discussions regarding the older Four Wheel campers with the 2 inch mattresses

Ethergore said:
I'd like to hear more on this too. I have been searching like crazy as to not add redundancy but have not found anything specific to us with the 2" mattresses.
Concerning the 2" mattresses. The early models of FWC campers had thin mattresses for ease of storage, when the top was lowered the two mattresses could be stacked and, if outfitted with a slider, the slider could be pushed in. Later the 3.5" or 4" mattresses were used with the same overhead height. One fit the overhead and the slider portion was two pads. This offered a thicker and more comfortable bed. After lowering the front portion of the roof, the slider is pulled out and the two pads can be stored in the slider.

A possible option for folks with the 2" pads (actually one is thinner to make up for the thickness of the slider underneath) is to have thicker foam pads and covers made.

Take a look at the Exped line of inflatable mats. I have tried a lot of inflatable pads over they years, but the Exped is by far the best inflatable pad I have ever used.
My wife uses the Downmat 9 LW. I use a much lighter backpacking version. The 9 LW is 25x77x3.5. It has a built in pump but she uses an air pump to inflate it. Not cheap but great quality and very warm as they have a down filling. You could likely just partially deflate them and leave them on the bed.
Dsrtrat

ski3pin said:
A possible option for folks with the 2" pads (actually one is thinner to make up for the thickness of the slider underneath) is to have thicker foam pads and covers made.
It is not practical to increase the thickness on the pad since the only storage I will accept is in the existing matress storage area. That means that when the mattress halves are stored they must be in the existing area for the original pads. If I want more thickness, then the pads will have to inflate. That means that I will have to use either self inflating mattress or air mattress or a combination of both. None of the discussion so far leads me away from the Alps 4 inch mattresses since no one has voiced any bad experiences with them. (not good ones either, unfortunately)

I am still open to suggestions but it must fit the criteria I laid out at the beginning.

dsrtrat said:
Take a look at the Exped line of inflatable mats. I have tried a lot of inflatable pads over they years, but the Exped is by far the best inflatable pad I have ever used.
My wife uses the Downmat 9 LW. I use a much lighter backpacking version. The 9 LW is 25x77x3.5. It has a built in pump but she uses an air pump to inflate it. Not cheap but great quality and very warm as they have a down filling. You could likely just partially deflate them and leave them on the bed.
Dsrtrat
This sounds like a good mat and I will check to see if they have one 30 inches wide. I would hate to lose 10 inches of width (2 times 30-25)

4wsilver said:
This sounds like a good mat and I will check to see if they have one 30 inches wide. I would hate to lose 10 inches of width (2 times 30-25)
I used REI mats in my 2002 Hawk over the 2" foam. It was great and covered the full area. I have a EXPED double size pad in my 2013 Hawk over the 3" foam. The REI pads were better but did not want to pull out the bed to sleep.

Another option currently being discussed in another thread is to leave the bed extended while driving allowing the thicker matress to stay in place. It sounds like quite a few 4wheel campers (including myself) do it this way. Added benefits are that you can leave the bed made and use a one piece matress to avoid seams.

BillM said:
Another option currently being discussed in another thread is to leave the bed extended while driving allowing the thicker matress to stay in place. It sounds like quite a few 4wheel campers (including myself) do it this way. Added benefits are that you can leave the bed made and use a one piece matress to avoid seams.
This would not leave a lot of space to use when not sleeping. If all you do is sleep in the camper then I guess it would be alright but that is not how I use it. We go for some really long trips in it, one was over 60 days and 10K miles.

I have made a descision about what to do. I am following destrat's recommendation on the Exped and have picked the MegaMat 10 Lxw. the advertised size was close like the ALPS but the actual size measured fits exactly to replace the two matresses. It has a higher R-Value than the Alps and the bottom and top appear to be much thicker to resist punctures. (It does cost nearly twicce as much.) I plan to get a sheet of the pink foam insulation board and glue an eighth inch thick ply to that and use it to put in the front when the bed is pulled out to get a level area for the mattresses. I will use my same fitted flannel sheet with a top sheet sewn on at the bottom and down comforter as I do now but when I get up in the moring, I will fold over one matress and with them stacked, with the sheets still on but folded, I will place the comforter over them and then the foam assembly over that and put any other items on top to help deflate the mattreses partially to about the 1.25 thickness. I did some trials at REI and I think it will work. They are really comfortable. I will give a report when I have a few nights on them. Won't be until May sometime though.

Space when not sleeping is not an issue, we flip the mattress up and slide the slider in while we hang out, hope whatever you do works well for you.

BillM said:
Space when not sleeping is not an issue, we flip the mattress up and slide the slider in while we hang out, hope whatever you do works well for you.
I guess that would work, and I thought of it, but that would then have required 2 new thicker mattresses and would have been heavier and probably more expensive than my solution. We have tried the new xped mats and they are extremely comfortable, in fact, as comfortable as our the Thermorest we bought last summer. For that we had tried every matress possible before deciding. In fact, after making that purchase was when we decided we needed something better for our camping vehicles. Every person has a different concept of what is comfort is and this works for us. The high R factor and the really good fit in the available space and an affordable price. The only down side I see if a matress is snagged and deflates in the night. That is possible. I will carefully inspect the area to eliminate as much risk as I can.

Just a few minutes ago, I had to run outside and lower my top on an emergency basis with the matresses inflated. An unpredicted thunderstorm was approaching and winds picking up. My top was up and I was removing the camper from the truck. The rear was partially on concrete blocks and the portable jack stands. The front was about 4 inches within the truck bed on the jacks but also with weight on the truck bed on blocks. It was fairly steady but I was worried about high winds and the extra height with the top up. I quickly lowered the top, but with the matresses inflated and pulled out that was not an easy task. I have lifting shocks front and back but was able to lower by climbing on the bed and pulling down. Then I was partially trapped and had to slightly lift to get out. Not a good experience. I would hate to have to do this every night.

One note, I had looked at a rechargible inflator/deflator and when the lowest supplier (Amazon) dropped it from 15+ to 11+ for 24 I grabbed one, knowing I could return it if it didn't work. It works great. Inflates in less than 20 seconds and deflates in 15 seconds per mattress. However if not careful the matress can be overinflated to the point it won't fit in the available space. When adjusted to the available space, the comfort is terrific for us. This is a soleaire, model SA-110P. It is chargible from 110 AC or 12V DC. The included adapters are not ideal but can be used. I am working on a 90 degree adapter with a short hose to improve the connection.

So far so good, will provide more info as experience grows.

My 1997 FWC came with a couple 4" mattress pads that the prior owner bought at costco, probably 10 years ago. I think they are for outdoor furniture.

These are about 3' wide and over 6' long. They fold into thirds. I either leave the bed slider slid out and the two pads side by side, or close the bed slider with one pad folded up in the corner between the window to the cab and the countertop. We put the two side by side with a fitted sheet to hold them together and it's very comfortable for my wife and I. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom