Memorial Weekend

craig333

Riley's Human
As nice as it would be to stay home and avoid the crowds, we had a meeting at work where I was informed we'll be working some lines 7 days a week this summer. Mine included so I need to get out when I can.

My first thought was Pyramid Lake to Gerlach, then on up towards Black Rock and maybe on up to Sheldon NWR. Not sure how camping is between Pyramid and Gerlach. Downside is it more miles (read I'm trying hard to be cheap this summer) and I don't how the dog will take extended driving.

Second thought is to camp off Highway 88 near Blue Lakes and drag the Jeep along. Go visit Scotts Lake, Blue Lakes, Red Lake and visit my friend who spends every summer at Silver Lake. Close and might be able to swim the dog. Maybe even do a bit of Kayaking if the dog is up to it. Downside of course is all this is likely to be full of people.

Anyone else going to be out and about for Memorial Weekend?

Wish I could join you, but due to a certain mishap will be here until next week. Plenty of camping spots on the road from Pyr to Gerlach-but for some reason lot's of locals around here are out and about over this holiday weekend. If you need to make a desert run try this one I had planned to do later, from Gerlach go north 73 miles to 140 (dirt-gravel) and then over to the Sheldon-maybe even check out that Virgin Valley CG-lots of places to play going in, but if the dog or papa get sick or need to head back fast, head over to Adel, the south to Cederville(been on that right-lots of water in the creek this year), a lot of it is paved, then head over to 395, then down to Suanville(only 4-5 hours total, then to Reno or 32/36 and home-just a thought. The Sierras are closer, but have fun what ever you do!

Smoke

We had planned to leave last Sunday morning but delays in the delivery of our Ranch Hand front bumper (which is stuck in Kent, WA???) will have us leaving this weekend which is bad for traffic. We would be in southeastern Oregon by now. We planned on hitting High Rock Canyon near Gerlach then doing more exploring in Nevada. I am gong to call once more to find out wth is going on. Happy Memorial Day to all and safe travels.

Craig, your Plan A is a lot of driving and gas money, but you are also right about Plan B likely being very crowded. Also need to consider it looks like it will be a warm weekend. We have been trying to figure out where to go also. Our plan now is to go back up to Lassen National Forest. Got some detailed forest road maps and will explore the area and boondock to avoid the crowds.

Don't forget to watch for the meteor shower Friday night/Saturday morning.

due to a certain mishap will be here until next week
Smoke, hope everything is ok.

Good point. Plan B would be better for hot weather. Kind of leaning that way. I can learn whether the dog and kayak get along. He does fine in the Jeep on the street but I need to find out if he can handle offroad. Yuma could but my husky said uh uh, not me. Bad part is being so close to all the restaurants sometimes makes me lazy about cooking breakfast :)

craig333 said:
.....................................Bad part is being so close to all the restaurants sometimes makes me lazy about cooking breakfast :)
We had dinner at Kit Carson Lodge for our 25th wedding anniversary. We'd do it again, but it was a week night.

Perfect, though I do know a few other ways to get across. I expected to hit 88 via the road past Leek Spring Hill L.O.

Heading out to the middle of NV on the loneliest highway in America!
Hoping to see meteors, take a soak in a new spring and toss a fly towards a trout!
Tidbit: you can purchase fishing lic. from NDOW on the phone. You give them your CC # and they give you your fishing lic. #

Yay for the Holiday! We haven't been out for a tour since Christmas, so we're really excited (Callie too), especially to be meeting other friends for a few days of WTW style exploration. It's three nights out, so that's a nice opportunity.

I pulled off the construction rack and installed the Hawk on the Tundra this evening. I was lazy and did other chores, but still had the camper installed by 7pm. Susan now has it packed with food and the fridge is running on 110v. Off we go tomorrow afternoon after putting in appearances at our jobs first.

Enjoy your trip Andy! 2 weeks now of being retired and you mentioned putting in a appearance at your job and packing after work. Not having those hours committed to a job really helps getting things done! I'm adjusting well.......

We are heading out for a overnight to Pyramid Lake for a chance of the meteors photography.

Anyone heading for Bend, Oregon this weekend?
Please DON'T! We're full up! Streets are approaching gridlock and it's only 3 p.m.! :eek: I barely made it home from a trip to the supermarket...
One of the downsides of living in a tourist destination: them dadburn tourists!
;)

Hmmm....maybe they're all Portland residents fleeing the E. Coli that caused today's "boil water" alert for the whole City of Roses...670,000 people affected. :unsure:

I was fishing but not catching on the Reese River, NV. At 8,000' it's a small creek with very few pools, but lots of heavy brush.
I did see a decent trout in one of the beaver ponds, located on one of the tributary streams.

In truth, the good fishing is right here on the Yuba. The kid at the fly shop says the evening hatch is amazing right now.
Maybe I'll take Callie down later this week and wet a line.

Cool. I had a buddy with a membership some years ago. We used it as a take out or just to fish. Nowadays I can drive down the other side, since the gate was removed. I don't get down there as much as I used to, but will keep an eye out for a pop up.

Are you coming up from the valley or down from the foothills, FM?

Back
Top Bottom