Middle Fork Stanislaus River - Brightman Recreation Area

super doody

This area is east of Pinecrest. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/stanislaus/recarea/?recid=15029 I camped there once as a Boy Scout and had a blast. Just in case the campsite is filled, doese anyone have any other recommendations? Perhaps, primitive off road camping areas near this region close to a lake or river?

Well, most likely you will not find everything so full in that area if you want a pay site. There are many pay campgrounds in the area up the road from Brightman. Although, if you turn at I believe "Niagra Creek" which is on the right going east just before Brightman as I recall (when you get to the area its the second campground sign if you can understand what i mean). You can go back in there and find free spots (about a mile in). Its on the way to Relief Reservoir if you look on a map. Also, if you keep going up the hill (108) toward the Sonora pass peek and just over, there are lots of places off the side of the road. But, to fish you will want to be in the areas of the pay campsites. I generally go to the free areas to camp and go fish on the stream behind the pay areas during the day. Be careful not to park in the pay areas during the day. They will want you to pay. Once you get up there you will understand. The river flows right along the road and the fishing is great. I would wait at least a few weeks as the river is running high right now.

Have fun.

DP

Well, most likely you will not find everything so full in that area if you want a pay site. There are many pay campgrounds in the area up the road from Brightman. Although, if you turn at I believe "Niagra Creek" which is on the right going east just before Brightman as I recall (when you get to the area its the second campground sign if you can understand what i mean). You can go back in there and find free spots (about a mile in). Its on the way to Relief Reservoir if you look on a map. Also, if you keep going up the hill (108) toward the Sonora pass peek and just over, there are lots of places off the side of the road. But, to fish you will want to be in the areas of the pay campsites. I generally go to the free areas to camp and go fish on the stream behind the pay areas during the day. Be careful not to park in the pay areas during the day. They will want you to pay. Once you get up there you will understand. The river flows right along the road and the fishing is great. I would wait at least a few weeks as the river is running high right now.

Have fun.

DP

Thanks DP.I'm hoping that with being this earlier in the season, we'll be able to find a nice spot along the river. I dont mind paying. Besides Eureka, do you recommend any other sites (see list below)?

Eureka Valley $18 per site / night
Pigeon Flat $11 per site / night
Dardanelle $19 per single site / night // $29 per double site / night *Subject to Change for 2013
Brightman Flat $15 per site / night
Boulder Flat

Ok, from just past the turn off to the left which goes to Clarks Fork (which has two campgrounds too and some free camping , but I do not prefer them) you will start to see several campgrounds on both sides of the road as you progress. You will find them all the way up to the base of when you will ascend up the actual Sonora Pass as I call it (you will know because it will be obvious and there are steep grade signs). Anyway, you can look the whole thing over in about 30 minutes max and decide what you like. All have their pluses and minuses (which include some with better bathrooms for those who prefer them).

Now with that said, if you were to go up the "Sonora grade" there are some beautiful free camp spots along the road especially about 3/4 of a mile down the other side to the right. You will want to drive up it at some point anyway to see the waterfalls and fantastic views.

Regards,

Darryl

Brightman may be right along the river, but you are quite a bit above it. With any of these, mid week should be fine anywhere. Weekends fill up fast.

Thanks for the feed back Bseek. We are actually leaving Friday night. I know its not ideal but we are just going to go for it.

Ok, from just past the turn off to the left which goes to Clarks Fork (which has two campgrounds too and some free camping , but I do not prefer them) you will start to see several campgrounds on both sides of the road as you progress. You will find them all the way up to the base of when you will ascend up the actual Sonora Pass as I call it (you will know because it will be obvious and there are steep grade signs). Anyway, you can look the whole thing over in about 30 minutes max and decide what you like. All have their pluses and minuses (which include some with better bathrooms for those who prefer them).

Now with that said, if you were to go up the "Sonora grade" there are some beautiful free camp spots along the road especially about 3/4 of a mile down the other side to the right. You will want to drive up it at some point anyway to see the waterfalls and fantastic views.

Regards,

Darryl

Thanks again Darryl. How far is "the grade" from Dardanelle?

Check the weather before you go, it can be COLD up there. They have closed highway 108, 24 miles from Strawberry, which I am pretty sure means Kennedy Meadows. That means all your plans are still good to go, and you should have less traffic since people got scared off.

I am not Darryl, but I am pretty sure he means the super steep part that goes east from Kennedy Meadows as the "Sonora Grade". It really is spectacular, and there are forest service roads that allow dispersed camping with a permit. Stop at the Ranger's Station before you go, but you have to get there before 5:00. There is one at Mi-Wuk that is right off the road. The Sonora station is off Greenley Road, but about a mile from the highway, opposite Sonora Elemetary School. I think given the weather this week, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a spot, but fishermen always surprise me.

Check the weather before you go, it can be COLD up there. They have closed highway 108, 24 miles from Strawberry, which I am pretty sure means Kennedy Meadows. That means all your plans are still good to go, and you should have less traffic since people got scared off.

I am not Darryl, but I am pretty sure he means the super steep part that goes east from Kennedy Meadows as the "Sonora Grade". It really is spectacular, and there are forest service roads that allow dispersed camping with a permit. Stop at the Ranger's Station before you go, but you have to get there before 5:00. There is one at Mi-Wuk that is right off the road. The Sonora station is off Greenley Road, but about a mile from the highway, opposite Sonora Elemetary School. I think given the weather this week, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a spot, but fishermen always surprise me.

Thanks guys. Since we can't leave till 5 pm from the Bay Area on Friday, I reserved a campsite at Pinecrest Camp for Friday night. We are planning to wake up a little early on Sat and drive up to Kennedy Meadows/Dardanelle area. My wife is pregnant we are going to take it pretty easy. Thanks again for all the advice.

BTW - Here is a good campsite map of the area:

http://www.sonorapassvacations.com/lodging/campgrounds.html#map

Just checked.The pass is open and it doesn't look like any weather coming in,but it is good to check before.
If it closes 24 miles east of Strawberry you can still get into Kennedy Meadow.I camped at Deadmans campground years ago and the fishing seemed to be good.
That is a nice area.You can walk through Kennedy Meadow.The scenery is nice.
Have fun camping.
Frank

The grade I am talking about is basically right at Kennedy Meadows. If you were want to camp at Kennedy Meadows you will turn right which is maybe 100 feet or so before the grade. Due to your wife's great situation you will want to consider camping at the campground across from Dardanelle store (you will see it as you go up the road on the right). The store will have a real bathroom and has showers. (They were there last year, never know things change). Or, as I recall the facilities at Kennedy Meadows campground are better than what you will find at the others.

The fishing if you choose to do so is great from Kennedy Meadows all the way back to the second campground you will see on the left coming up. (I think that's Brightman, but I'm getting old). Just past Dardanelle the river moves to the right side of the road.

Don't be concerned about finding a spot. Your still very early in the year and you will probably see snow all over. My neighbor tells me he caught some nice fish at the mouth of Pincreast lake also a few days ago.

Have fun.

DP

Friday night in Pinecrest shouldn't be too rowdy. Saturday night in the summers can be almost dangerous with the flatlanders whoopin' it up. Enjoy your trip. Post pictures, we LOVE pictures.

Back
Top Bottom