Missing in DV

Interesting story. All initial efforts will be toward locating the vehicle, that unfortunately hasn't yet been found. I expect they are now considering areas out of DVNP.

-UPDATE-

INYO COUNTY, CA, APRIL 8, 2021, 4:00PM UPDATE– The two missing individuals: 32 year-old Alexander Lofgren, and 27 year-old Emily Henkel, both from Tucson, AZ, were located today shortly after noon. They were spotted through aerial reconnaissance in a very remote area of Death Valley National Park near Willlow Creek on a very steep ledge. A hoist operation was attempted, but due to the extreme location the two team members who rappelled down were unable to reach Lofgren and Henkel. It is unclear at this point what condition Lofgren and Henkel are in.

Hopefully, they wil be brought out safely. I wonder if they went in from the Greenwater Valley Road, or from the lower west side at the parking lot.

Oh boy. I hope they are able to be safely extracted. Looks like a perilous gorge.

Further Update -

-UPDATE-
INYO COUNTY, CA, APRIL 8, 2021, 4:00PM UPDATE– The two missing individuals: 32 year-old Alexander Lofgren, and 27 year-old Emily Henkel, both from Tucson, AZ, were located today shortly after noon. They were spotted through aerial reconnaissance in a very remote area of Death Valley National Park near Willlow Creek on a very steep ledge. A hoist operation was attempted, but due to the extreme location the two team members who rappelled down were unable to reach Lofgren and Henkel. It is unclear at this point what condition Lofgren and Henkel are in.

This evening an Inyo Search and Rescue technical team will travel to Death Valley National Park and will descend the canyon as soon as they arrive.

The missing white Subaru was located first by Death Valley National Park at approximately 11:00am off of Gold Valley Road. A note was located in the vehicle that read, “Two flat tires, headed to Mormon Point, have three days’ worth of water.” This note proved to be a crucial tip in directing search efforts. The location of the vehicle was not included in Lofgren’s backcountry itinerary.

The search was initiated Tuesday April 6, after Inyo County Sheriff’s Office received notification that Lofgren and Henkel had not returned by their due date of April 4. Lofgren’s backcountry itinerary was thoroughly checked along with every attraction and tourist site along highway 190 with no results.

Gold Valley Road, not such a good idea for a Subaru Forester. Did they decide to descend Willow Canyon to reach Mormon Point and pavement? A very bad idea. Descent of Willow Canyon from Willow Springs requires multiple rappels.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
WOW! Very bad decision on their part. Going back to Greenwater would have been their best option, it gets traveled.
Agreed! They could have been given a ride within a few hours of walking the road back to Greenwater Road.

Latest -

4/9/21: An update will be made available once any new information is received. We ask that you keep your comments on this thread both supportive and kind, and be patient – this is a highly technical SAR.

-Final Press Release-

INYO COUNTY, CA, APRIL 9, 2021, 3:30pm- At approximately 11:40am today Inyo County Search and Rescue team members were able to access the remote and steep ledge where missing campers Alexander Lofgren and Emily Henkel were located yesterday via aerial reconnaissance in the Willow Creek area of Death Valley National Park (DVNP).
The Inyo County Sheriff’s Office confirmed that Alexander Lofgren is deceased; custody was transferred to the Inyo County Coroner

Very unfortunate. Ms Henkel must be devastated.

"Emily Henkel, 27, was rescued and flown to Lemoore Naval Air Station in Kings County, California. There is no update on her status."

How sad! All we can do is learn from this event, and offer our support and condolences.
I used to read Accidents in North American Mountaineering for the same reasons.

Lighthawk said:
How sad! All we can do is learn from this event, and offer our support and condolences.
I used to read Accidents in North American Mountaineering for the same reasons.
We also have a stack of Accidents in North American Mountaineering, one published each year. Years ago there was also Snowy Torrents (if my memory's correct) that covered yearly avalanche events.

We hope Ms. Henkel survives and recovers. We can only imagine what this ordeal was like. Condolences to family and friends. Vacations should not end like this.

So sad.

ski3pin said:
We hope Ms. Henkel survives and recovers. We can only imagine what this ordeal was like.
A life altering event, for sure. Hopefully some good will ensue. One never knows.

Did they decide to descend Willow Canyon to reach Mormon Point and pavement? A very bad idea. Descent of Willow Canyon from Willow Springs requires multiple rappels.

What a horrific experience and what a sad outcome. Sincere condolences for the families of all involved.

There is now a natural reach for what may be learned from this---lessons which may save lives in the future. It will be helpful to learn of what the hike out plan was. Several of you fellows know the area and from the sound of your comments, the destination chosen was one fraught with difficult if not impossible to traverse topographic obstacles. Makes me think they had some sort of two-dimensional digital map (......headed to Mormon Point......) but no topographic map which should have indicated the topographic difficulties of the route.

If the above was generally the case, it goes back to my mantra: There is no complete substitute for a topographic map, a compass, and the ability to use them.

From his surviving spouse's testimony, the late Albert Chretien took his new GPS with him as he sought to hike from his stuck vehicle to Mountain City, NV back in March 2011. Some 18 months later, his remains were found by elk hunters high on the flank of Mahogany Mountain around 2,500' in elevation higher than his starting point just off of Meadow Creek. Speculation is that he attempted a straight-line hike out, and ascending brought him into deeper snow which exhausted him and ultimately claimed his life.

Mr. Chretien's GPS had already provided impetus for him to attempt a shortcut from I-84 near Mountain Home, ID to Jackpot, NV, a series of unimproved roads over two passes at over 8,000', roads not maintained in winter. After becoming marooned, likely it then led him astray a final time.

Foy

Back
Top Bottom