Moab, Utah via Nevada Backroads

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
I'm currently managing a big Mountain Biking site for work: Ridemonkey, and I got an invite to come to Moab to cover one of the biggest MTB races in the world - the 24 Hours of Moab. I've done the race before and I love the event so hell yes, I'm on my way.

I've done the drive from Bend to Moab many times - Highway 20 to Idaho, I 84 through southern Idaho, I 15 through Utah, blah blah - possibly the most boring drive in the West. I decided that this time I was going to take a longer, backcountry route and see a few things off the beaten path. The first destination was Austin, Nevada, way out in the middle of nowhere, for some Mountain Biking:

Approaching Austin - way out there.....
austin1.JPG

Camping at Stokes Castle in Austin
austin11.JPG

austin2.JPG

Driving on the Gold Venture Loop
austin3.JPG

Gold Venture Mine
austin4.JPG

After Austin we drove East and hit up Pioche - old mining town of course:
pioche2.JPG

Pioche.JPG

Cathedral Gorge State Park was a great surprise - probably the nicest campground I have ever stayed at. This stop gave me inspiration for the future of this site which I will elaborate on later.
cathedralpark1.JPG

cathedralpark2.JPG

Great pictures and short stories. Glad you took the long way to Moab.

Cathedral Gorge State Park was a great surprise - probably the nicest campground I have ever stayed at. This stop gave me inspiration for the future of this site which I will elaborate on later.

They have nice showers that come with the price of the campground.:thumb: And a great place to take pictures! (lots).

Great Pix Dawg but you surely wern't traveling solo.

Nope my GF accompanied me on this trip. Good times!

I was trying to make this all about ME, but since you insist: Megan at Bryce Canyon and shreddin some trail in Moab

megan.JPG

megan2.JPG

And to think I was just thinking of taking highway 50 across Nevada instead of 80 next time I go (if I get another chance). I really need to set my sights higher. Now to go looking for a map of Nevada.

Back
Top Bottom