Modifying the inside of an Alaskan?

Land-roamer

Advanced Member
I'm curious as to what kind of modifications, slight or serious, some of you may have done to the inside of your Alaskan camper, to suit it to your particular needs or configure it for different purposes.

Most of the photos I see online and in the gallery seem to show pretty stock interiors in them, but I'm just wondering what might be some worthwhile modifications to consider, if one was going to be traveling solo with it for example, and want some more flexibility in things to do inside when the weather turns bad.

An example of a "bad" modification (in my mind anyway) was the previous owner of mine, who took out the 3 way fridge and replaced it with a 120v bar fridge (which I've taken out), which involved him doing some dubious work on the stock woodwork to make it fit. I'm trying to figure out what to best do with that space now, whether I should remove the metal vented cover for the original fridge and replace it with a flat piece of aluminum.

The other thing I'm looking at is this sort of white canvas bag located under the sink, which projects out into the space between the camper bottom and the truck bed side. I have no idea what this was used for or whether it would be useful for me, or what to do with it.

Anyway, any suggestion or pictures of modifications you've done would be an interesting topic I would think (unless it's been covered before, in which case I apologize for bringing it up). Thanks.
--Robert

Hello

Here is what I'm thinking of doing on my 69 10' NCO It's been to Australia and back.
Interior in great shape but the front top end needs replacing due to water and rot.
It's going on my 92 GMC 3500 Dually with 10' flat bed. I believe I wuld like the sleeping end to be at the back of the truck with the cooking area behind the Cab. Two reasons, getting the heavy end where it belongs and able to get out encase of fire in the cooking area.(getting old and have burnt the top of the odd pot)Since I have to replace the damage piece it would be the right time to do this. One benefit might be I can use the good door end as a template for the new end piece.

Would appreciate you thoughts on this.

Enjoy your Alaska unit

dkoug Alaskan Camper 061.JPG

i took out the fridge in my 64 10'nco and made that space another cabinet. it works great for storage(which is paramount to us as we take soooo much stuff with us). on the 74 10'co i'm working on.i took out the fridge and am going to make that space a cabinet with outside access . maybe for firewood or whatever. all i need is a door on the inside and a hinged metal panel on the outside with a small lock. this model is a side dinette, so there is massive storage area.we're used to using a ice chest ,so we don't miss the fridges.

wes

Took out the original frig and replaced it with a 2 way...120v/gas...dropped the upper drawer to below the frig for additional frig clearance and extended the 120v from the top to the bottom half for the frig....lined the frig area with refrigerator steel siding and caulked it with fire caulk for safety....

added the drawer/storage on the outside...

narrowed the rear end at the closet to square it up in the new truck

added the commercial threshold piece to replace the worn out sheet metal door edge

added a piece of 1/8x2 aluminum to the door(bottom half) to replace the thin folded sheet metal which had worn out

new rear porch light

re-plumbed the sink to loosen up a little more room under the sink.... re-plumbed the water and gas lines and carried the 120v to the front under the table for a light on the table and a battery charger

Changed the refrigerator venting and added computer fans

new carpet and vinyl

new upolstery

after the upper front window broke the second time...replaced it with lexan, scratch proof, plastic

body work, linear polyurethane paint and engineered stair set

12v overhead assist fans in the vent

exterior greywater tank on stair platform and storage trunk on adjacent side

next addition.....underbed horizontal propane tank and a quick connect system for the camper....and a heater of some sort....I like Milt's and I'm hunting for a cast iron chinese incense burner ;)

Here's a list of the modifications and repairs I made to my 1964 8' NCO:

1. I removed all of the cabinetry on the right side.

2. I installed dark green indoor-outdoor carpet on the walls and floor of the lower section.

3. I fabricated a top cap for the sidewalls to stiffen the lower section and cover the gaskets.

4. I replace the top and bottom gaskets with new Pirelli material.

5. I removed the cooktop and replaced it with a cooktop/oven unit.

6. I moved the two drawers from beneath the old cooktop to the space beneath the sink, cutting a v notch in the top drawer to accommodate the sink drain.

6. I replaced the countertop and covered it and the backsplash with new formica.

7. I replaced all of the hydraulic o-rings.

8. I replaced the waterlines and installed an in-line drain to drain the tank at the end of the season.

9. I had the seat cushions re-covered.

10. I installed a Carbon Monoxide detector.

11. I replaced all of the interior incandescent bulbs with LEDs.

12. I installed an adjustable reading light underneath the overhead cabinet on the front left.

13. I installed a new porch light with an LED bulb.

14. I installed 9 metal coat hooks on the upper right side for storing fishing poles in transit.

15. I installed a set of scissor steps.

16. I replaced the glass in both front windows as they were cracked.

17. I replaced the eyebrow gutters over the side windows.

18. I replaced the rubber gaskets in all of the jalousie windows.

19. I doubled up the plywood in each of the corners to repair the rot.

20. I replaced the winch-type jacks with Reico-Titan tripod jacks.

21. I replaced the top vent with a new unit (I forgot to close the old one and drove 150 miles at freeway speeds destroying it).

Having the entire right side open works best for me. I can get a medium size cooler and my gas bottle between the rear wall and the front seat. When I arrive at my site for the night, I remove both to the ground beside the rig.

I hang any wet clothes from the rear hooks opposite the catalytic heater. They are warm and dry in the morning.

WARNING!
Writing this list made me realize how much time and money I have put into this camper. If you decide to compile your own list, do so at your own peril!

Anyway, off for a week of Elk hunting tomorrow in my snug little camper.

Attachments

• DSCN0446.JPG
    DSCN0446.JPG
    387.1 KB · Views: 806
WOW

This new Mini http://www.alaskancamper.com/mini.html

Sure provides motivation for what I was thinking about doing.

Now to find a warm place, dollars and time-lol

dkoug

Back
Top Bottom