Monache Meadows

SunMan

King Taco
After an arduous 2 week vacation surfing in El Salvador the co-pilot and I decided we needed to spend some time in cool weather and surrounded by trees....so it was off to the southern Sierra's; Monache Meadows was the planned destination. I had been wanting to go there for quite some time.

Powell Meadows on the way in:

gallery_311_311_124895.jpg

The start of road in (plan on 2 hours to go the full 7 miles):

gallery_311_311_102032.jpg

gallery_311_311_72913.jpg

The river camps at Monache Meadows lie along the South Fork of the Kern River. This is the water crossing to camp sites on the north side of the river:

gallery_311_311_138689.jpg

Camp:

gallery_311_311_208689.jpg

We found a real nice site along the river:

gallery_311_311_64018.jpg

Gunner, the trusty hound was quite pleased with our camping location:

gallery_311_311_216303.jpg

gallery_311_311_287980.jpg

gallery_311_311_14732.jpg

We spent all day Saturday hiking through the meadows and forest. I also tried my hand at fishing, don't feel bad Ted, I didn't catch anything either. Gotta master the art of fly fising one of these days...

gallery_311_311_176358.jpg

gallery_311_311_235633.jpg

gallery_311_311_16727.jpg

The meadow was peaceful and green with plenty of wild flowers. We hiked and fished and lounged and napped the day away. It was WONDERFUL.

Queen Anne's Lace and the largest mushrooms I've ever seen. Can anyone ID these things?

gallery_311_311_93190.jpg

gallery_311_311_71095.jpg

gallery_311_311_184595.jpg

We left some time at the end of the day for a little extra relaxation as well:

gallery_311_311_93194.jpg

But before we knew it it was Sunday morning and time to head home. We spotted this "forest rat" on the way out:

gallery_311_311_145221.jpg

This would be Monache Meadows proper:

gallery_311_311_2187.jpg

gallery_311_311_168148.jpg

This area skirts the edge of the Seqouia's and here is some evidence of the magnificent trees to the West:

gallery_311_311_187748.jpg

Monache Meadows is a very beautiful place but as remote as it is we were definitely not alone out there, it seems to be a very popular area for motorcyclists and ATVers staying down in Kennedy and Troy Meadows, just something to be advised of if you decide to go. I suspect mid-week would be a dream out there, I know we'll head back again.

Rough life Sunni. El Salvador to the Sierra.
Monache looks like a great spot. I wasn't sure whether the 4x4 designation meant Jeep or camper. Now I know I can go in comfort.

It looks very nice!
Any mosquitoes? It's been a bad year for them (that is, good for them -- bad for humans) most places I've been for the past couple of months...so just wondering.

Those 'shrooms look like King Bolete aka Porcini. Edible and delicious.

Thanks for the ID highz!

It looks very nice!
Any mosquitoes? It's been a bad year for them (that is, good for them -- bad for humans) most places I've been for the past couple of months...so just wondering.

Mark, no shortage of mozzies, it wasn't bad, bad but we're both still itching a little!

Did you go through any of the water crossing or was it to deep.

Did you go through any of the water crossing or was it to deep.

Went through the one that takes you to the camp sites across the river. Didn't go thru any of the others off of the main road. One section seemed a little deep but nothing exceptional.

**EDIT**
In fact I just found this video posted on YouTube from the exact same weekend:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7xeOq0MfKOM

Very cool Suni,
That area is one of my favorites. On another note, I was up in yours and TT's hood on Monday the 15th looking to buy a sailboat that was for sale in the area. Was driving down Victoria and saw your rig, nice Casa. Was going to buy ya lunch before heading South but couldn,t reach you. Oh well, Next time.

marc

Very cool Suni,
That area is one of my favorites. On another note, I was up in yours and TT's hood on Monday the 15th looking to buy a sailboat that was for sale in the area. Was driving down Victoria and saw your rig, nice Casa. Was going to buy ya lunch before heading South but couldn,t reach you. Oh well, Next time.

marc

Dang, what a bummer, check your PM.

Nice T/R Sunni, I used to head up to that area with a VW van back in the 70'S. Brought back some good memories. Sigh, If I only had a camper. Soon, very soon.

Mike

monache and green creek 024.JPGMonache Meadows was last weeks destination and it was great we went in on the Jeep road :eek: and left the Monache trail road.

We then headed over to Green creek and stayed for a couple of days and on to Bodie. Thanks WTW for the info on Green Creek it was very cool.

Attachments

• monache and green creek 032.JPG
    monache and green creek 032.JPG
    228.3 KB · Views: 154

Back
Top Bottom