Monument Valley

halljf

Can anyone provide details on visiting Monument Valley? We will be truck camping and are interested in details regarding campsite costs, guide costs, dry camping in the Valley, etc. Thanks much!!

There is no official camping inside Monument Valley. Some people have made connections over the years with local residents who have arranged for them to stay in the valley but that isn't something that can be counted on. There is a campground across the highway from the entrance, not sure what the current cost is.

A couple places in the same are worth camping and free are Valley of the Gods and Muley Point Overlook. Muley Point can get a tad windy and the drive between there and VotG via the Moki Dugway isscenic but requires your attention going in either direction.

There is a campground up by the lodge that offers nice views of the Mittens but I'm not sure how much it costs. We stayed there some years ago when it was free but that was before they made improvements.

I once looked at Goulding's campground. It is like an RV campground, spaces tight together, hook-ups, etc.
At the time I was there and wanting to stay a night The View Campground was closed for renovation.

My favorite is to go up the road to Valley of the Gods, free, dispersed camping with almost the same type of views.
From there you can go back the next day for the drive around Monument Valley or take a tour and let them do the driving around the valley.

And, if you are heading southwest from Monument Valley thru Kayenta on Hwy 163, then turn west on Hwy 160 past Tsegi then turn right on Hwy 564 to Najavo National Monument for a great campground. Only about 50 miles from Monument Valley. Sunset View campground has a paved road through camp with toilets and Canyon View campground is a bit more primitive.

I camped at Mitten View back in the 90s and although crowded it provided great access to MV. My favorite place to camp in the area is Goose Necks State Park near Mexican Hat,perched on top of a mesa overlooking the San Juan River. It's extremely windy late afternoon until late at night. It used to be a primitive cg with pit toilets near the entrance and no defined camp spots as you drove to the very end of the mesa. Great views and a great hike down to the river.

I've driven through MV on several trips and never get tired of it. On my wife's first trip there in 2000, we did the drive, plus we took a jeep tour which takes you off the main road where our guide drove us to pictoglyphs, sweat lodges,and some locals' homesteads. Well worth the tour!!

Have a great adventure!!

Attachments

• goosenecks - 1 (2).jpg
    goosenecks - 1 (2).jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 80
I camped at View Campground earlier this year. If I recall it was around $40, pretty steep but I really needed their shower. It does overlook the Mittens and most of the hoards of tourist are unloading/loading at the lodge. I was there just one night.

The following day (after driving Monument Valley loop) I drove to Valley of the Gods and absolutely love it there. Widely dispersed camping and stunning scenery. I'm going back there again for sure.

X3 on Navajo National Monument. We have stayed there many times over the years (most recently in 2015). Free admission to the monument, free camping in nice campgrounds, free ranger-guided and self-guided tours, and access to the cliff dwellings of Betatakin and Keit-Seel. Close to Monument Valley and Valley of the Gods and, if you are coming from the south, it is a great place to stop for a night or two on your way to or from the Canyonlands/Arches NP area. (Note: I did not take the attached photo; it is from the internet)

Attachments

• Resized Betatakin photo.jpg
    Resized Betatakin photo.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 153

Back
Top Bottom