Mosquito Science

And some people do not react to mosquito bites. My Mom was never bitten and I am the same with mosquitos. I asked my dermatologist why I do not get bitten? He said watch you do get bitten but do not react! Sure enough I do but at the most get a very small red spot and not itch. The wife and daughters get large welts.

However no-see-ums eat me alive, lots of swelling.

I'm probably in the middle. Not immune but I'm not bothered as much as some people. I generally avoid repellents unless they're getting pretty thick. We have some tiny mosquitoes near the dog park. I don't see them or feel them until the welts show up. I thought they might be the new ankle biters but vector control assured me they aren't. They did say they'd someone out to check just to be sure.

I’m not sure that I buy that one is not “bothered” by mosquitos when one has local vector control for the dog park on speed dial. :p

I don’t even know whether to look to city, county, or state levels of government for such a person. I’d probably wind up talking to graphics software programmers about vector or raster graphics issues. :)

Paul

Pretty easy to look up after seeing them on the news. I was impressed with their responsiveness.

That’s one of the things my wife loves about me, I’m here mosquito magnet. When I’m around they don’t go near her.
And I get welts. It’s not fair I tell ya not fair!

JWL said:
That’s one of the things my wife loves about me, I’m here mosquito magnet. When I’m around they don’t go near her.
And I get welts. It’s not fair I tell ya not fair!
Same here. I did buy buy a Thermacell Backpacker repeller after seeing Mr Ski3Pin use his effectively. Haven’t needed to use it yet, but it’s in the kit.

Now they're saying the new species of invasive mosquito has been found in North Sac. Maybe I'm not being paranoid.

To borrow a phrase: “Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean a new invasive mosquito species isn’t out to get you”

But how can they reproduce? There’s no water. Everybody knows that California is completely dry due to drought and what water there was has been dropped on all the fires. :rolleyes:

And I thought dandelions, blackberries, English ivy, kudzu, brown & brook trout, European collared doves, and barred owls were the bad invaders

Paul

Some mosquito bites swell and itch for days, others I hardly know I was bit. I have good luck abrading the bite and applying ammonia. On the bad bites I have to apply a number of times.

Worst is a few mosquitos in the camper after lights out. I use two Citronella candles bracketing the door outside and a Thermacell to clear them out inside.

Back
Top Bottom