Mouse entry?

GearHd6

I've had travel trailers in the past and it has been tough to deal with mouse intrusion living out in the country.
What I'm wondering is, seeing there's minimal entry points on an FWC, has anyone found this to be a problem?

We’ve not had mouse intrusion in our camper, but the count is up to around 14-15 in the Ford Ranger. As long as the turnbuckle doors are closed, you should be ok.

I don’t recall anyone in the popup reporting issues community reporting issues.

That's pretty much what I thought. I Googled it and didn't come up with one post about it.
What year Ranger? I have a 22 that I put screening over the HVAC intake holes in the firewall to stop that from happening. I did it on the second day that I bought it off the lot.

GearHd6 said:
That's pretty much what I thought. I Googled it and didn't come up with one post about it.
What year Ranger? I have a 22 that I put screening over the HVAC intake holes in the firewall to stop that from happening. I did it on the second day that I bought it off the lot.
Mine is a 2019. Could you post a photo of your screens? Are they under the cowling covers where the wipers are?

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/24069-vengeance-warning-minor-gore/?hl=vengeance

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Mine is a 2019. Could you post a photo of your screens? Are they under the cowling covers where the wipers are?

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/24069-vengeance-warning-minor-gore/?hl=vengeance
I do have some pictures I believe but they're not currently on this phone. They are under that wiper cowl on the passenger side. I essentially followed what the person did in the link I attached. But, I used Lexel caulking to fasten them to the firewall because it's pretty tough to get in there with tools.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/check-your-air-box%E2%80%A6.15646/post-321296

This post is like discovering gold for me! We've had more than our share, but mostly in the truck.

We have had one mouse in the camper, I think it got in because one of the turnbuckle doors was slightly ajar with some wiring in the way holding it open. We heard chewing in the middle of the night, had to borrow some mice traps from Riley station (hwy 395 in Oregon) and trapped it the next day. She didn't have any for sale but heard the desperation in the Sharon's voice and handed hers over.

I had one mouse in our older (also Eagle from early 90's) camper that also got in because the turnbuckle door had slid open. I was reading one night in Death Valley and noticed him come in, we looked at each other for a second or two and he turned and left.

We also have a Ford Ranger (2020) and have had way too many in there, including two in two days on our most recent trip. It's sad, but we have to set up a mouse trap in the passenger foot well every evening, so the most recent two didn't get far before finding the trap.

Screen is already on hand, so this is going to be today's project! I can't believe they build a vehicle with such a gaping hold to the cabin, might as well put up a sign for them. Thanks GearHd6!

Mr. Sage, I don't know if you tried it for your Ranger, but blocking off those entry points under the wiper blades has worked for us (so far, knock on wood). I installed on 25 October, and have been out for several nights since, with no mice. Hooray. Wish they just did this at the factory!

Occidental said:
Mr. Sage, I don't know if you tried it for your Ranger, but blocking off those entry points under the wiper blades has worked for us (so far, knock on wood). I installed on 25 October, and have been out for several nights since, with no mice. Hooray. Wish they just did this at the factory!
Ed, I haven’t yet, but it’s certainly on my list. I keep loaded traps in the Ranger, and check the cabin air filter frequently. Fingers cross!

I camped in an FWC and never seen evidence inside for 20 of my 23 trips to Baja. I have however had them in my truck, and I've generally kept my hood open to discourage mice from chewing on my wiring which I've heard of happening to other Baja campers. I always carry mousetraps just in case.

On our second Tundra. our first 05 Tundra we never had mice in the cab. our 21 Tundra this has been a regular occurence. Must have openings in the 21 that were not there on the 05 truck. Guess I need to start looking for the holes! We have been using the Fresh Cab deterrent and others like it and is seems to help. Mouse entry has pretty much been when the deterrent has not been in the cab.

Taku said:
On our second Tundra. our first 05 Tundra we never had mice in the cab. our 21 Tundra this has been a regular occurence. Must have openings in the 21 that were not there on the 05 truck. Guess I need to start looking for the holes! We have been using the Fresh Cab deterrent and others like it and is seems to help. Mouse entry has pretty much been when the deterrent has not been in the cab.
Replace the deterrent frequently, and it appears that Irish Spring soap helps(?), too. The screens will be the best bet for the cab, now if I’d just get busy and get that job done.

I've haven't had any mice/rats in my ATC or prior FWCs. My Tundra on the other hand -I've caught several mice and keep 3-4 traps in there full time and catch a couple once a month. I recently had electrical problems with my '19 Tundra and my mechanic found a large nest behind the center console but no evidence of any wires being chewed on. I keep 3-4 mouse traps in the truck full time but my mechanic swears that the best deterrent is to spray peppermint oil in various places as well the engine compartment. Will give it a try plus it smells good!!

Update:

Read some articles on peppermint oil and it seems that it needs to be applied frequently to keep the critters away. I'm still going to try it inside the cab but will still have traps.

I apparently picked up an unwanted guest while camping up in the Warners a while back and after unloading my Granby when I got home. I got busy and didn't go back into my FWC for over a month. I had some time and was ready to head out again, loaded her up (did not do my regular pre-camping checks), headed up into Oregon on the way over to the Sheldon NWRF via HW 140. I decided to stop and camp at Mud Creek FSCG on the Fremont for the night, put the top up, started getting things ready for dinner, slid open the wall cabinet on the upper right side and Ahhhhhhhh-it was end to end packed full of paper, tissues and other things.

A mouse had decided to make the whole thing its new Winter nest. They had also got into the storage area under the front cushion, the silverware drawer and under the sink. Yep, I ended up power cleaning just about everything to be safe with soap and hot water and was very lucky the water was still on at the CG, because the 20 or so gallons of water in my tank and my 6 gal water cooler were soon gone. Lucky too, the garbage cans were still there because allot of things got thrown out that day. I put out some traps before I hit the rack that night and caught one of them. The next day I left for the Sheldon a bit wiser and with a clean truck.

It just goes to show you I guess that even someone who supposedly knew what he was doing, still after more than 14 years camping in a FWC can forget to do a normal post and the pre camping pop-up camper checks and pay for it in spades :oops: . On the positive side, I found out where they got in (through the sliding panels where you check the tie downs-where open), and because of all the "getting unstuck" and other emergency gear I carried I survived to camp again. A buddy of mine just paid $3000.00 to get his wiring replaced after a rodent got in to it. Yep, got to check under the rig, in the engine compartment-anywhere they can get in, all the time-even at home.

Smoke

I've not had mouse problems with my current camping rigs. But I was once outwitted by a mouse when I had my '72 Chevy camper van.

I knew I had been seeing evidence of mice in the camper but hadn't yet done anything about it.

One day I took the rig up to my local gas station/garage to fill up. As I was gassing up, I saw a mouse emerge from under the van right at my feet. It started out across the pavement, kinda looking everywhere for a place to hide.

I don't know what I was thinking but I started chasing it.

At first, it ran toward the line of bushes at the edge of the pavement. But that was pretty far away. So after a while it took a left and started making a big arc. I thought that seemed odd as the bushes were even further away in that direction.

But what it was actually doing was drawing me away from the camper.

Suddenly, it stopped circling and ran straight back toward the camper. I tried to intercept but, as I say, I had been outwitted. It easily got back to the camper before me and went under.

I caught a glimpse of it climbing up the inside of the right rear wheel.... on its way back into my camper.

I was stunned and looked toward the garage to see if anyone had seen that pea-brained mouse make a fool of me. Fortunately, no one had.... or at least won't admit to it.

Old Crow said:
I've not had mouse problems with my current camping rigs. But I was once outwitted by a mouse when I had my '72 Chevy camper van.

I knew I had been seeing evidence of mice in the camper but hadn't yet done anything about it.

One day I took the rig up to my local gas station/garage to fill up. As I was gassing up, I saw a mouse emerge from under the van right at my feet. It started out across the pavement, kinda looking everywhere for a place to hide.

I don't know what I was thinking but I started chasing it.

At first, it ran toward the line of bushes at the edge of the pavement. But that was pretty far away. So after a while it took a left and started making a big arc. I thought that seemed odd as the bushes were even further away in that direction.

But what it was actually doing was drawing me away from the camper.

Suddenly, it stopped circling and ran straight back toward the camper. I tried to intercept but, as I say, I had been outwitted. It easily got back to the camper before me and went under.

I caught a glimpse of it climbing up the inside of the right rear wheel.... on its way back into my camper.

I was stunned and looked toward the garage to see if anyone had seen that pea-brained mouse make a fool of me. Fortunately, no one had.... or at least won't admit to it.
thx for sharing !! :) i am sure that mouse regretted not keeping on the run.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom