Moving sink hand water pump

buckland

Site Team
Have put in a new counter and moved the stove where sink was. I will not put in sink now but wanted to move the counter push pump. The white pipe beneath must be cut .... what kink if clip is this and do I need a special tool? IMG_5206.JPGIMG_5205.JPG

PEX clamp.

EDIT. if that is a ridged connector you will need very hot water to soften the pex or you will need to cut it off.

Working with Pex

Thanks Bill ... I assume one can’t reuse that pex clamp... and if not where does one procure one.

You could probably use a regular hose clamp also if PEX stuff is not available to you. As Bill says, you will probably have to heat the tubing to get it off and back on (unless you have the specialized PEX tools).

Buckland
Be careful removing the tube from the fitting. This type of plumbing is designed I believe one time assembly. I read if you nick the barb good chance it will leak. Not saying don't try just use care.
Russ

Thanks on that warning ... luckily I am cutting the pipe shorter so will need to put on a new one no doubt. I would use the regular house clamp but there seems there would be no compression of the seal as the pipe is made of pvc ???

buckland said:
Thanks on that warning ... luckily I am cutting the pipe shorter so will need to put on a new one no doubt. I would use the regular house clamp but there seems there would be no compression of the seal as the pipe is made of pvc ???
Heat it and tighten the clamp- should work but not foolproof. Only suggesting it as a last resort. Obviously if you have access to PEX tools you should use those. Alternatively, you could always replace the PEX with vinyl tubing if it's accessible.

ya no pex tool ... though if i am patient and can wait a month ...I am having radiators put in in the house and I know they use pex.
Appreciate the help. I better measure the white pvc tubing FWC water line, to be sure he has the size I need.
Having just checked the OD of the PVC tubing it is 5/8” .... I assume this is 1/2” tubing (ID)

I bought an "Apollo" clinch tool for about $30 at a big box store. The hard part is getting the tool into tight spots, especially hooking up tees at the back of a cabinet. Gotta think those thru before jumping in.

That fitting is a 1/2" swivel iron pipe adapter, only a few bucks to replace if you scratch it. Alternately you can use a "push connect" fitting to replace that swivel, no tool required. Look for "Shark Bite" fittings at any well stocked hardware store.

Yes, a 5/8" OD pex is the nominal 1/2" size pipe.

Thanks on that info. I dm new to pex stuff. Conveniently we are having new radiators installed next week and the guy said I could use their tool and one clamp. Bingo. I love excuses to buy another tool but I think this is a one up use. Won’t need it again. (I hope).

My FWC introduced me to pex, having soldered copper for decades I just ignored it. Bought the tool to work on the camper, have since used it on my son's camper, and more recently my daughter's pex-plumbed house. It's worked well for me, even better for son and daughter ;)

Back
Top Bottom