National Park Dispersed Camping

eyemgh

Is dispersed camping with a vehicle allowed in any of the USNPs besides Death Valley? I asked the Google, but I couldn't find any clear information. Thanks!

Not that I can think of off the top of my head. I believe some of the Alaskan parks allow you to camp where you land your plane but that doesn't really help us. NPS tends to manage the "smaller" more highly visited areas and thus are a lot more stringent on what is allowed.

Big Bend National Park, doesn't allow dispersed camping, but they have permitted back country vehicle sites, so all the pleasure of dispersed camping, but you need to get a permit, which is available by phone or online. some are solo sites, others have two sites together. Some are close to the paved highway, others are miles and miles down very rough roads. All are very nice.

I need to spend some time on Caltopo looking at land types adjacent to the parks. I love the National Parks, but I really don’t like campground camping.

Great Basin has some dispersed camping around the southern end, along NF-448. Last Sept the ranger advised we just find an empty designated spot and stop there. No permit needed.

Much of the Vermillion Cliffs on the SW side is open to 'dispersed' camping in previously used areas.

Most (if not all) National Parks have adjacent National Forests that allow dispersed camping. IMO even the NF campgrounds have a better camping experience than the NP campgrounds; cheaper too.

BillTheHiker said:
Capitol Reef NP
There is not any dispersed camping in Capitol Reef.

There is lots of 'designated' but dispersed camping in Canyonlands - you need a permit, but I think this is the best of both worlds, you are guaranteed that a camp spot is available for you and is off on its own, and they are reliably great spots. No competitive campground hunt as dusk approaches, no bogans with generators and ATVs pulling up after dark, and without the dozens of spurs and fire rings all over the place like in the nearby BLM.

Great Sand Dunes NP has some dispersed camping on the Medano Pass road (technically in the preserve, not the park, but managed about the same).

Most of the SW National Monuments (GSENM, Bears Ears, Vermillion Cliffs, Gold Butte, Grand Canyon Parshant etc) also allow dispersed camping.

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument has dispersed camping but you need a permit and I believe you need to get it at the Visitor Center. I think the dispersed camping area is along the western border of the Monument.

rando said:
There is not any dispersed camping in Capitol Reef.

There is lots of 'designated' but dispersed camping in Canyonlands - you need a permit, but I think this is the best of both worlds, you are guaranteed that a camp spot is available for you and is off on its own, and they are reliably great spots. No competitive campground hunt as dusk approaches, no bogans with generators and ATVs pulling up after dark, and without the dozens of spurs and fire rings all over the place like in the nearby BLM.

Great Sand Dunes NP has some dispersed camping on the Medano Pass road (technically in the preserve, not the park, but managed about the same).

Most of the SW National Monuments (GSENM, Bears Ears, Vermillion Cliffs, Gold Butte, Grand Canyon Parshant etc) also allow dispersed camping.
rando, this is news to me. Where does one go for more info on Canyonlands, Bears Ear, GSENM?

For Canyonlands the 'dispersed camping' is at designated spots in the backcountry, and you need a permit for a specific spot/date. There are maps available for each district of the park showing where the spots are for example:
https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/upload/ISKYmap_web.pdf

Note that some of the back country spots require some serious four wheel driving or a long hike to access.

Both Bears Ears and GSENM are essentially open to roadside camping in most areas, like other BLM/USFS land. With the increased usage, the requirement for a human waste system is likely coming to these areas. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) as these two are BLM managed monuments, there is less 'official' information available on the internet.

thanks for the map and your patience rando. If by "dispersed camping" on that map you mean the "backcountry vehicle camp" spots... then I knew about those. I was thinking it was something more like BLM camping that you were mentioning.

I did not know that Bears Ears and GSESN were open to BLM style camping... I thought that National Monuments were more restricted!

Back
Top Bottom