National Park Updates March 26

We'll stick Monument Valley on the agenda! Thanks for the suggestion!

Tiffany,

Thanks for the update pic's on the Black Canyon. I commented in the gallery, but wanted to share my appreciation here as well. The Black Canyon is only a short drive for me, and an area I frequent when I need a dose of alone time fly fishing and hiking. It's an awesome place......and close enough to get to, should anyone on the forum be there and want to throw back a beer or two. So, if anyone is in the neighborhood, drop me a note and maybe we can meet up there.

Good camping all,

Paul

Tiffany,

Thanks for the update pic's on the Black Canyon. I commented in the gallery, but wanted to share my appreciation here as well. The Black Canyon is only a short drive for me, and an area I frequent when I need a dose of alone time fly fishing and hiking. It's an awesome place......and close enough to get to, should anyone on the forum be there and want to throw back a beer or two. So, if anyone is in the neighborhood, drop me a note and maybe we can meet up there.

Good camping all,

Paul

Yes, Tiffany is getting those NPs up one after the other. Great job!

And Paul,

I'm only a few hours east of you if I zip over on 50. Maybe we can meet on the North Rim where that nice little campground is. What a great place the Black Canyon is, eh?

Yes, Tiffany is getting those NPs up one after the other. Great job!

And Paul,

I'm only a few hours east of you if I zip over on 50. Maybe we can meet on the North Rim where that nice little campground is. What a great place the Black Canyon is, eh?

Yeah, the BC is an awesome place. I am actually going to spend a few days in that area beginning the week of April 11. Right now, I am planning on doing a float one day and then hiking into the Gorge for a couple of days. I will be on the south side however. The access into the Gorge is better from that side.

Yeah, the BC is an awesome place. I am actually going to spend a few days in that area beginning the week of April 11. Right now, I am planning on doing a float one day and then hiking into the Gorge for a couple of days. I will be on the south side however. The access into the Gorge is better from that side.

Phird,

I am heading west later this month but most likely a week or two later than your trip. Do you camp down there by the river below the rim? Or do you hike into the gorge from the rim? I haven't explored the BC on foot; I've only camped on the rims while traveling east or west on 50. It is high on my list for a longer stay.

Phird,

I am heading west later this month but most likely a week or two later than your trip. Do you camp down there by the river below the rim? Or do you hike into the gorge from the rim? I haven't explored the BC on foot; I've only camped on the rims while traveling east or west on 50. It is high on my list for a longer stay.

Hey Stew,

It depends on where I hike in. Sometimes I will hike in for the day if I can get an early enough start. I typically go in from the south rim however. I like to go down the Ute trail head or the Duncan trail head. Other times, I will hike up from the confluence of the North Fork of the Gunnison River and the main stem of the Gunnison River, just west of Hotchkiss. This way for me is always a day hike. If I have the time I will spend a couple of nights at the rivers edge, again going in at Ute or Duncan. The north rim trails are a bit more time consuming as they are steeper, and somewhat more technical, so for time sake, as I said, I usually use the south rim for my access.

My daughter will be visiting her mom during their school break during the week after next, 10th-18th. I will for sure be in the BC area during that time, but I haven't ruled out other options either. Maybe floating and fishing the Colorado River from Glenwood Springs to Newcastle. I just know I have a "Hall Pass" for that entire week....the camper will be on the truck....I will be hiking....I will be fly fishing....and may even throw a mountain bike ride in as well. After another 8 inches of snow yesterday and last night I have severe spring fever going on right now and am looking forward to finding warm weather and camping. :D

Paul

Back
Top Bottom