Need Advice on Jacks for 1985 Grandby

Abbiennormal

Advanced Member
Hi All,
It has been inspiring reading all your posts! I inherited a 1985 Grandby on a 1985 Ford F150. The truck has reached the end of its life and I am looking for advice on how to move the camper off the truck. It did not come with any attachments for corner jacks. I am wondering what is the best way to do this? Should I install the corner jacks myself? My concern is that the corners are not braced for it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Abbie

the old school or new school cable jacks work great.. I have 4 though as I hate trying to balance a 1000 lb camper.. just scary..

i just took the rear skin off my camper and so i had to to take the jack mounting brackets off...was a bit surprised to learn that they're just screwed into the aluminum frame, no real reinforcement to speak of, but they seem to work fine. I wouldn't worry about that part.

I install the jacks every time i remove the camper from the truck and take them off to camp cause they're heavy and as many say, they can get snagged on things while off-roading which would be bad. I also have hydraulic jacks which are ok but not spectacular. Electric motors would be awesome if you could set them to all go up at the same time or even have some kind of auto-leveling situation. Moving back and forth to the front and back is a pain when you have to go up a few feet from the dolley to the truck height. lowering is nice on the hydraulics though because you can just set all four to bleed down at about the same rate.

Back
Top Bottom