Need Solar Recommendations

Berts

Advanced Member
I've searched these forums trying to figure it out myself but I'm so lost when it comes to watts and amps. Electricity has never been my thing.

I'm rebuilding a 83 FWC Fleet. My only power needs will be a knock of Wabesto heater like this https://www.amazon.com/Caravan-Motor-Homes-Thermostat-Monitor-Silencer/dp/B07JB7QZWZ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=diesel+heater&qid=1605116206&sr=8-3

Eventually I'll be getting a compressor fridge, something like this https://www.rei.com/product/172594/dometic-cfx3-55im-powered-cooler-icemaker?CAWELAID=120217890009960414&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=102333396713&CATCI=pla-429402092809&cm_mmc=PLA_Google%7C21700000001700551_1725940001%7C92700053582135840%7CTOF%7C71700000066695699&gclid=CjwKCAiAtK79BRAIEiwA4OskBkfk0aVs9eYepMCIoMrXJ2rdE5naFT11ZpSrQoIaFolHjSxBlpH4bRoCg-cQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Only other power needs are 4-6 LED light inside.

Most of my boon docking will be in the winter at ski resorts, sounds like a guy can expect a 50% loss. I'm happy to run 2 marine batteries for more power storage. I'm just lost on what solar kit I should get. I would rather do this once and I need to build my roof to accommodate solar and my 2 roof vents.

My initial thoughts are something like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Renogy-300-Watt-12-Volt-Monocrystalline-Solar-Starter-Kit-for-Off-Grid-Solar-System-STARTER300D-W30/302165236?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-VF-F_D27E-G-D27E-27_31_CONTROL-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-CONTROL_OtherControl&cm_mmc=Shopping-VF-F_D27E-G-D27E-27_31_CONTROL-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-CONTROL_OtherControl-71700000053528212-58700005127833923-92700048704113435&gclid=CjwKCAiAtK79BRAIEiwA4OskBgnzElJk_dbr5kThIt6hDPepeLMUD8xuuhRYq2qBbE4N2iNREs9tohoC64wQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm not sure if too solar is a bad thing but I want to error on the side of too much if I can. Ideally I do not want to think about my power supply ever other than brushing snow off the panels.

Thanks, I know this gets asked likely daily but I'm so lost in all this.

As far as kits go, that's not bad! That said, in my experience, solar is of limited use when there is snow involved. The panels need to be clear of snow with no shadowed cells, and angled towards the sun, to maximize their output.

Also, your power needs are minimal. You will need a battery monitor to really know your battery condition. Volt meters and charge controllers can't do that. I like the Victron BMV-712, but it is pricey. Will Prowse thinks a $30 knock off might work well too

So let's assume LED lights, furnace and a cooler style fridge. You can figure on 30AH a day of usage... just guessing. Less if you keep the fridge in a cold space. AGM batteries are only good for 50% of their rating, and even less if they are really cold. So lets say you have 250AH of AGM battery... = 125AH usable at 75*F. Call it 120AH in a 55*F camper. At 30AH a day, you get 3 days before you have to charge up.

Is that enough time? If yes, skip the solar for now.

[SIZE=9pt]Thanks. Looks like to get 250AH that is 2 batteries which is fine. I think I would start with 1 and see how that goes, I can always add another pretty easy. I think my 3 panel and 2 batteries might be some serious overkill here. Assuming the 30AH per day is a good guess ha ha. Now I'm thinking 200w panel and one battery. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]If I buy one of these kits I do not need a inverter if I'm never going to plug into shore power right? Its all going to be 12V DC I'm good right? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Thanks for getting me started in the right direction!![/SIZE]

Three hundred watts is a lot of solar power, but a furnace fan is a hungry beast. The good news is, PV panels are more efficient in the cold. The bad news is, the sun is lower, daylight is shorter, and, as mentioned, the panels need to be kept clear of snow.

The biggest mistake you can make is too put too much battery in for the panels you have. Batteries ideally need to reach float voltage of 13.5 every day, or you'll shorten their lifespan drastically.

I'd recommend at least 200 watts of panels with a dual-battery setup. No such thing as overkill on the panels, really. Three hundred would just be more likely to bring your batteries to float voltage sooner.

Berts said:
If I buy one of these kits I do not need a inverter if I'm never going to plug into shore power right? Its all going to be 12V DC I'm good right?
Inverter is the doodad that changes 12V back to 120V so you can plug in regular appliances. A 12V DC charger normally plugs in to 120V (shore power) to charge your on board batteries. If you are never going to plug into shore power, you are correct, you don't need an onboard charger (FWC uses Iota brand chargers... I like the NOCO Genius line).

For what it is worth I took Will’s advise and went with the Chinese (AiLi) battery monitor and couldn’t be happier with it. It gives all you need, state of charge, Amp hours, volts coming in and going out... With the money I save On it I could justify getting the Victron Smart Mppt controller, it’s not the most user friendly device but once you figure it out (and get your wiring right) it is pretty straight forward and useful. After lot’s of research I went with a Newpowa 200 watt rooftop panel. I only have the one 78 AH AGM battery. My needs too are simple, just the stock furnace, two powered Fantastic Fans, camera and phone charging and lights. I have been pleasantly surprised that so far energy needs have been plenty. When this battery is put to rest I plan on going lithium and maybe a Fridge/Freezer but with our old Gott 60 cooler we can go a week and still be cold. “Drinks” are in a separate cooler. :)

Renogy tends to have sales during holidays. I'd wait a couple weeks and see if that system goes on sale :)

Another option would be go for the 200watt system and add an external that you can point at the sun for better accumulation of photons during the winter :)

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful. I'm thinking of going with a kit since I lack the knowledge of what I need. Seems way easier that way. It shows up with everything I need. I might look for a one 200w or a 300w panel system. I like the versatility of having 2 100w panels and I can add another later on if I need. I was also reading if you have multiple panels they do not work independently of each other?Meaning if one if completely covered in snow not working and the other is working they both will not produce power. Maybe that is wrong though.

I'll just make sure I leave a lot of space between my 2 fantastic fans that way I can pretty much do what I want. I would like to keep the weight on the roof to a minimum and 2 panels looks to be like the minimum I would want to do. I can always buy another panel and an adapter kit to add a 3rd panel if I need. The controller looks to be the same either way.

I'll also add I honestly doubt I'll buy a compressor fridge. I'm cheap and already have a 65 yeti (wedding gift). I dry ice that or block ice it and I'm good for 5 days easy. I don't boon dock more than that typically and if I do, its in the early spring and late fall when its cooler. I can always buy more ice I guess but I do hate buying frozen water for $3. I'm guessing without the compressor fridge 200w is more than enough and i'll never have to worry about it. If I do get a fridge, just add a panel and be done.

Really leaning towards (2) 100w panels and 2 batteries. for peace of mind. Also will look at season sales coming up. Which reminds me I should get a list of things I need to buy for the entire camper and get it all over the holidays, likely cheaper that way.

Thanks again!!

Lets talk batteries. WOW those AGM batteries are spendy.

Anyone have recommendations on a average battery that won't break the bank? Something thats not super cheap and crap but also not top of the line. Figuring I need 2 batteries but with the prices, I might see how one does out of the gate.

Is your standard Marine battery trash for a camper solar set up? Prices are much cheaper so I'm assuming its trash.

Vic Harder said:
How heavy is it? Can you lift it into position?
Holy Cow, good call. That battery is 133 pounds LOL. I can lift it no problem but I do not want 133 pounds of battery in my FWC if I don't need that much. They make a 160ah which is 103 pounds and 100ah is 67 pounds. I think I'll start with the 100ah and if I need more battery storage buy another one.

Start with one of these https://www.amazon.com/NPP-NPG12-100Ah-Rechargeable-Battery-Terminals/dp/B07D3D5SGN

Thanks, I think I have my solar figured out.

I have been using a Universal Battery 12v 100Ah AGM Deep Cycle Battery as the Solar house battery in my boat which I previously used to power the winch on my trailer (trailer winch has not been used in the last 12 months). The battery was purchased mid year 2018. It is doing fine. Solar keeps it topped up. My brother lives on the boat and uses the electrical everyday.

I have Concord Lifeline AGM 6V 220Ah Deep Cycle batteries that I bought in 2016 in my FWC camper which have 2 cycles on them and are working great.
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Power-Group-100Ah-Battery/dp/B00S1RT58C/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=100ah+deep+cycle+agm&qid=1605654527&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Berts,

It appears that you selected a Gel battery. Be sure to read up on the pros and cons of Gel vs AGM batteries.

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/gel-vs-agm.html

• AGM
– Preferable when a burst of amps is required.
– Can last for years.
– Can be easily recharged, in some cases up to 5 times faster.
– Can be produced at a lower cost than gel batteries.
– Have a low internal resistance.
– Perform well in temperatures below 32 degrees.
  • GEL
– Lower power capacity.
– Does well in warmer environments.
– Does well with slow discharge rates.
– If recharged incorrectly the battery will failure before the end of its life cycle.
– Not suitable to be used as starter batteries because of an increased acid resistance.
– Do not perform well in below freezing temperatures.
https://northeastbattery.com/agm-vs-gel-technology/

I think I have decided on the Renogy 200w Premium kit, Aili battery monitor and if need be I can buy a portable solar panel to plug into it. 100ah AGM battery. I honestly doubt I'll get a compressor fridge. I'm only going to be running a one of those chinese knock off diesel heaters, 2 maxxair fans, a couple LED light and would like to be able to charge a couple phones.

Now I just need to find deal on these items. I don't see many black friday or cyber monday deals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom