Need some input here CA state parks.

CALIcamperdad

Looking at the Big Basin State Park for a quickie weekend trip but I can't for the life of me sort out if they would let me park my 4x6 tent trailer in a tent only site? With the trailer wheels backed to the typical end of the parking stall blocks we measure 24ft front bumper to chalked trailer tire. Thats with the rear of the tent ie porch tailgate down hanging over the end of the parking zone.

If we fit in the posted 24ft parking spot we should be OK right? Anyone ever come across getting tossed due to having a very small trailer backed into a tent only site? Just curious?

I've camped all my life in CA but never gone to a super super busy location like this so not sure if they are over the top about you must be in a tent on the ground in a tent only site or if our super basic tent on a trailer would be acceptable?

Thoughts appreciated

I know most of us want more remote locations less people but this would be a quickie warm up weekend run before our Trumbull lake adventure end of June. ;-) that and figured we could hit the Roaring camp train and do the Board walk with the kids too. Henry Cowell ST park is booked solid the weekend I'd want to go.

The 8860 number is just a recording and the park office number 8861 actually doesn't ring and goes dead when I try it. LOL

As for the comment about tight space etc the trailer is very compact narrower than my Subaru and only 12ft hitch to tail lights. I've actually had both the trailer and two cars in a standard two car garage. If you can drive a full sized pickup through the campground our tiny subaru trailer combo will be a non issue ;-) But thanks for the warning.

My guess is that as long as whatever your parking fits the parking length they don't care what you park in there Van, Subaru with small trailer or Pickup with camper etc.

In regards to State Park Regulations concerning their camp grounds, I don't know the answer. If the local park number doesn't work, I'd move up the food chain and call the park offices in Sacramento and find a real person to talk with after putting up with voice mail menu hell.

What I do know, which might apply somewhat - when we stayed in the campground at Mesa Verde National Park Park they said we could stay in the tent only section if we did not use a generator or use a furnace. These were noises that really ticked off the tent users and were not allowed.

Ever since I got my pop-up 9 years ago, I have always wondered where I should park in these more civilized state/fed CG's. When I've asked the local ranger, they basically say anywhere you want, 'cause you are sort of a in-between thingy. Most of us tend to park away from the nearest camper (especially if it is a trailer/large RV) as regular good camping ethics anyway-unless we have no option,that is. But in general, I think allot depends on time of year, day of week and how busy they are. Most CG spots are identified and it's probably a good Idea not to try and use a tent spot if you have a camper or RV of some type. I like the idea of no generator/heater as a rule for who uses the tent spaces. Allot of the more prim. CG's are not marked at all and as I remember my past tenting days(and come to think of today too) of that massive RV/trailer parking right next to me and ruining my day/trip. Yep try to get thru to that human on the phone to get that help you need-that's their job to have those answers!

Smoke

In some of our stays and search's I find TENT sites and TENT ONLY sites.
Most of the tent only don't have as level a spot and may have a smaller parking area.
Also in a tent only, the tent pad may be away from the parking area.
Last year we stayed at Grover Hot Springs and was told we could use a "TENT" spot.
The same held true for the Oregon parks.
Good luck and happy camping.
Frank

I used my former truck camper at Big Basin. At that time one couldn't reserve a particular spot, so I picked a spot that had a large enough parking pad for my vehicle, once I arrived. I here ya about having trouble getting a live person to speak to about this.

I was surprised to learn they (and many other State Parks) are closed from say November through March. Those are the months I wanted to go there.

If the reservation website shows dimensions for the parking area that will fit your vehicle, I'd stay there. In my experience, unless it states the site as a 'walk in' site, then if the spot allows you to park without impeding the roadway or driving off of the parking pad, you're fine to camp there. This seems to apply not only in Ca state parks, but various county parks and National Parks also.

DesertDave said:
I used my former truck camper at Big Basin. At that time one couldn't reserve a particular spot, so I picked a spot that had a large enough parking pad for my vehicle, once I arrived. I here ya about having trouble getting a live person to speak to about this.

I was surprised to learn they (and many other State Parks) are closed from say November through March. Those are the months I wanted to go there.

If the reservation website shows dimensions for the parking area that will fit your vehicle, I'd stay there. In my experience, unless it states the site as a 'walk in' site, then if the spot allows you to park without impeding the roadway or driving off of the parking pad, you're fine to camp there. This seems to apply not only in Ca state parks, but various county parks and National Parks also.

This is my assumption also fit the space and no one will bug you. The generator or other mechanical noise stuff makes sense. Our rig is just a tent no fancy homey stuff except a carpet on the floor and nice bed pads. Only noise will be snoring kids.

Back
Top Bottom