Nevada's Great Basin

The Lady and I were off on another adventure. The Trip Report is here:
Nevada's Great Basin
We hope you enjoy tagging along with us once again.

Once again you two take us on an incredible journey.Thank you.Glad M's surgery was a quick and successful one.
Keep the trip reports coming.
Frank

You guys hit another home run--but telling the rest of the world about the GB i guess is needed; :LOL: Been exploring out there since the 1960's-will never see it all so I really enjoy your runs. If we keep it secret they will not protect it. We may never need to worry about to many people exploring here, but a few of us can sorta show it and maybe that will work, see you out there soon, next week heading to 50 to run from the smoke here on the most western edge of the GB here in suszieville!

Smoke

Another amazing trip report from the 3pinners. The life you two live humbles me. I'm not sure which I enjoy more, the trips I do with you or the trip reports from the getaways where I'm not holding you back. Thanks for sharing.

Excellent. The Table and Mt Moriah have been on my list for years, great to see some pix. MarkBC and I made an attempt from the east many moons ago that ended with our being rescued from a big road washout. This has definitely got me inspired for a return trip. Cheers-

Excellent. The Table and Mt Moriah have been on my list for years, great to see some pix. MarkBC and I made an attempt from the east many moons ago that ended with our being rescued from a big road washout. This has definitely got me inspired for a return trip. Cheers-

Rescue? Big road washout? Moons ago with MarkBC? Inquiring minds want to know more.

Thanks ski3pin. I did not want to hijack your great TR thread. I'll post this pic and it seems like MarkBC covered this one in some other story/thread a while back.

gallery_2596_386_233922.jpg

I would like to thank you. Every time I read about one of your adventures, I get that warm fuzzy feeling inside when I've finished reading. For however long it takes to read, I am transported to a place where I am at peace and happy. You truly have a gift for writing, please keep posting your adventures. I hope someday I'm as blessed as you to be spending so much time in the great outdoors.

Another gem 3Pinners! Beautiful pics It's been about a month since we've been out, youve got me twitchin!

Thanks, 3pin. Somehow I missed that entire thread!? Great tales, for sure.

Yeah, I'm thinking it should be "pinned"................hey, I can do that! I'll keep exercising my "superpowers" until they fire me. Might as well have a good ride!

Thanks for another great trip report.

Up to this point the only time I have made it to Great Basin it was early spring and everything at higher elevations was snow covered. Really enjoyed seeing what the high country looks like in the late summer. Thanks for sharing.

Curious how much further miles/time it takes to summit Mt. Moriah? The 2 miles to the table look reasonable but the peak must be part of a longer day.
thanks - craggy

Hey Craggy, this route intersects with the routes up from the east side that folks take to the summit. If, after reaching the Table, you take the ridge to the top, it is 3.5 miles one way. Most folks traverse high on the east side and go for a saddle to the south of Moriah and then walk up the gentle south ridge. This makes it maybe a little over 4. Early start and we can be back at noon.

The high east slope just to the north of Moriah has my all time favorite grove of bristlecones. Also, up high here,we have found beautiful Colorado Columbines, the farther west we have seen these.

gallery_1902_252_43362.jpg

Sounds great. I found my old Mount Moriah topo from our trip in the mid-90's. Looks like quite a maze of old mining roads on the west/Spring Valley access side but I like the idea of getting high up with the rig. Sounds like the Table is close enough to the trail-head that a late photo session and hike back in the dark would not too difficult...
That Columbine is really wild.

East Spring Valley Road north from 50, turn right (east) on FR 469. The intersections are now pretty well marked and it is easy to stay on. When you pass the old USFS guard station, its a confidence builder. After dropping into a swale - there will be a cattle waterer on your left - and crossing the cattle guard, there will be a fork to the left. I think this intersection is unmarked. Don't turn but go straight up the hill, the road climbs a short distance and then turns left and traverses across to the trailhead, a beautiful place itself.

Now, all I need to do is try and re-unite our epic washout/rescue gang (from 95) together for another attempt, MarkBC and the elusive Fogg.

Back
Top Bottom