New Guy / Former Lurker

brianjwilson

Well I've been watching the forums here a bit so I figured I'd introduce myself.
I don't own a camper yet, but will be in the market for a Four Wheel Camper by spring hopefully.
My wife and I live in Danville, KY (Southeast of Louisville), and moved out here from Oregon about 2 months ago. "Why would you move from Oregon to Kentucky?" you ask. I was offered a job out here flying a helicopter for a coal company, it sounded like a good change from instructing, so here we are. I miss Oregon already, and fully intend to get back there in the not so distant future. But I figure as long as we're here, I want to see a bit of this side of the country. I love traveling and seeing new things, but rarely get the chance. Who has time and money at the same time anyway?
Right now I'm driving a 2005 Explorer Sport Trac that I've modified for weekend offroad adventures, but it comes up short in the space department. I previously had a Ranger with a canopy and could sleep in (by myself atleast). Before that, a 1986 VW Vanagon Syncro (4x4), with a full size bed, 12v fridge and propane stove.
Now I'm tired of tents (unless I'm backpacking), and I want to be able to move around more easily instead of setting up camp every night and packing up every morning.
Right now I've got my eyes on a 2006 F150 FX4 Supercrew with the 5.5' bed. I know a 6.5 bed would be more ideal, but I want four doors for family/friends/storage, and don't want the extra wheel base of the 6.5' bed with it. I considered an F250 or F350, but the ride is rough offroad, they are lethargic without a diesel, and diesel prices are insane now. I plan to lift the F150 (atleast a leveling kit or coilovers), with atleast 1 differential locker. I want to be able to get around offroad without too much trouble.
As for the camper, I'll be looking for a hawk. Not sure about new or used, it depends on how my our budget looks then.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy reading your trip reports and looking at your pictures. By the time I get one I'm sure I'll have a ton of great ideas from you guys about camper mods.

And just for fun, here's the Sport Trac I'm going to be trading in...

Brian

1219c.jpg

sl1.jpg

1-12e.jpg

flex1.jpg

3" body lift, sway bar disconnects, shackles, 33x12.50 mud terrains, 4.88:1 gears, aussie lockers front and rear, xcal2 programmer and some other things.

Welcome

That's probably the best looking Explorer Sport Trac I have ever seen. Maybe we can work out a trade - my '99 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (stock) that used to carry my Hawk for your Sport Trac. Though to be fair, I think I would owe you some money too.

Well I replaced the Sport Trac on Monday. Sad to see it go away.

06 F150 FX4 5.4L SuperCrew.
new1.jpg

new2.jpg

new3.jpg

new4.jpg

May be a little longer wait now for a camper though. My wife may be taking a lesser paying job in favor of tuition reimbursement.

For some reason I felt the need to post on here again after all this time!
I have been lurking again here lately dreaming about a camper.
I still do not have a FWC for the truck, some other priorities have come up, namely paying off some other debts to reduce the monthly bills.
I have done a few mods to the truck though, including a used ARE Z-series cap to temporarily give me a place to crash.

cl1.jpg

7-3a.jpg

cedarcreek2.jpg

ww11.jpg

I am still very much enjoying reading everyone's trip reports, and missing the West coast. My wife and I both have good jobs here so I'm afraid we need to sit tight until the economy picks up a bit and I can get a job back in the NW.

BTW I'm liking the new forum style DD!

Back
Top Bottom