New guy who just bought an older FWC

Silverscout

Hello All, I had the pleasure of purchasing an older Four Wheel Camper from a local who just didn’t have time for it any more. It’s a 1978 International Scout with the original camper on top. It’s two wheel drive and a four cylinder. Everything seems to work except the gas gauge but that’s more a typical Scout thing. I’m currently in the process of freshening it up with new flooring and cushions. I’ve been reading about cleaning the camper sides and I understand 303 is the stuff everyone is using. What about cleaning the inside? I don’t believe soap and water will truly kill the light mold that’s growing on the inside. A fellow recommended Simple Green and although I live by the stuff, is it too harsh to use for the interior?
Anyway, here’s my Scout Camper:
47b8d930b3127cce98548a81a8fd00000047108QcNmzRq1bO

47b8d930b3127cce98548a8fa8f300000047108QcNmzRq1bO

47b8d930b3127cce98548a8c29c000000047108QcNmzRq1bO

Nice set up, welcome.

Can't imagine Simple Green being too harsh (you could also dilute it), you would just need to air it out for awhile. I'm sure Stan @ FWC will chime in. You could certainly use the 303 inside as well.

That should be sitting on my '78 Scout. :D That's a great find. I was looking for one until about a month ago when I had some unexpected expenses.

I keep a spray bottle of simple green in my Hawk and haven't noticed any problems on the fabric (though I rarely use it on the fabric).

Regarding the Scout: My gas gauge never worked very well, even after replacing the sending unit, gauge and wiring. How tight is the steering? When I got mine it was more like herding it down the highway rather than driving. I noticed the California plate. Do you live near Santa Maria? If so I would love to stop by for a look and can help quit a bit with the Scout. I have the factory shop manual and owner's manual, but the owner's manual doesn't tell you anything you probably don't already know.

Thanks for all the kind words. This project should be a lot of fun. I think I’ll try the diluted Simple Green this weekend. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

This is my third Scout (Scout owners never just have one). And like yours EdoHart, none of my gas gauges have worked. The steering sucks. I’ve talked to a local guy who has the parts for a power steering conversion. This should make life a lot easier. As soon as the tires are replaced and the steering taken care, making it road worthy, Ill take to for its maiden voyage. I live in San Francisco and thanks for the offers of shop manuals. I’ll be sure to ask when I get stuck. Ill keep you guys posted.

simple green does work

Very nice Scout. It's nice to see a old school FWC. Simple green will work on your liner. You will have to dilute for sure. My liner was covered with mold, inside and out. You could hardly stand the smell. I tried a few marine type meldew removers with little luck. So I tried diluted simple green and a soft brislte brush. Spray down the outside and let soak for about a minute and applied the brush. It basically came right off. I also used the same application for the inside, worked really well. After it dried I applied the 303 protectant. It came out great. Still have some stains on the inside liner, but all the canvas look good. Good luck.

Thanks 85K5. I was actually looking to do a Blazer camper conversion to my other Scout, then this thing popped up. A guy over on Expedition Portal did a Scout/Blazer camper conversion. It turned out great and was just the right combonation. The thread is now gone unfortunately. Speaking of Blazers, great job on yours. I grew up on K5's as my Dad went through 4 of them over the years.

I still wouldn’t mind having a Blazer camper for my other Scout. It's ok to horde campers right?

I believe he worked for Four Wheel Campers and I actually met him many years back at Pismo Beach. I wonder if the camper in the older photos is the same as mine, just 18 inches longer. His Scout is a 100 inch wheel base where as mine is 118. Some folks just put the longer camper on the shorter Scout, hence the overhang in the rear. If that’s the case, is it possible that the newer camper in the photos is actually the old one with a new face?

yep, that was the same guy you met

Mr. Frank Wille

I think he was the president for a little while of the So Cal Scout Club.

He worked for FWC for 3 or 4 years.

Yes, that is the same camper in both pictures.

Right before he left to go back to school to get his Masters, he stripped his Scout Camper down and rebuilt it into a shell model. I think he gave it a new roof skin, furnace, new aluminum siding, and ??

He sold it to someone last year, so the camper has a new home somewhere.

======================================================

I believe he worked for Four Wheel Campers and I actually met him many years back at Pismo Beach. I wonder if the camper in the older photos is the same as mine, just 18 inches longer. His Scout is a 100 inch wheel base where as mine is 118. Some folks just put the longer camper on the shorter Scout, hence the overhang in the rear. If that’s the case, is it possible that the newer camper in the photos is actually the old one with a new face?

Back
Top Bottom