New Hawk Install + Maiden Voyage

Eshelman

Well...after a painstaking 3 month wait, the time for me to head out to Reno to pick up the new Hawk finally arrived! Steve at FWC was great to work with and Kirk did an awesome job on the install.

Thanks so much to everyone here for all the great info on FWC's. By far the best way (along with talking to owners) to do your homework/research before buying a FWC.

After an unfortunately long day at work on 6/23, I busted out of SLC heading west on I-80...doing my best to escape the gravitional pull. My install was scheduled for the following morning at 10AM in Reno. Easy...might even have time for a few hands of poker in Wendover.

Busting out along the flats of Nevada and making good time.
gallery_2473_305_16933.jpg

Quick pit stop/history lesson near pilot peak. Apparently things were still lookin up for the Donner Party at this point...
gallery_2473_305_21728.jpg

Pulled off I-80 about 20 min. east of Reno to crash for the night. Pretty much nothing around and relatively flat...sweet. Woke up to find that I wasn't as far away from the hwy as I thought :)
gallery_2473_305_10475.jpg

Woke up fairly early with the sun beating down on me and decided to head out in search of breakfast and caffeine. Ended up at a place called Peg's Glorified Ham and Eggs. I put the hurt on their corned beef hash and several cups of coffee. Yum...
gallery_2473_305_153706.jpg

Walking back to the truck after breakfast I noticed this bad boy out of the corner of my eye. Looks good. Time to go get mine installed.
gallery_2473_305_13253.jpg

Met up with Kirk at the FWC's shop and the fun begins.
gallery_2473_305_54712.jpg

gallery_2473_305_119963.jpg

gallery_2473_305_93711.jpg

gallery_2473_305_52983.jpg

gallery_2473_305_108562.jpg

Started at 10AM and I was driving away at noon, even after a full walk-thru and debugging a few issues. Normally, I would have spent the weekend crusing around the Tahoe area...especially since I have never been there....but unfortunately had to get back to SLC. So, I went to the gas station and filled up and tried to scrub the 5 billion bugs off my window that I had apparently decimated on the drive the night before. Made a quick stop at the Truckee river on the way out of town for a couple of photos and a quick celebratory canonball into the river.
gallery_2473_305_166401.jpg

gallery_2473_305_115178.jpg

gallery_2473_305_65237.jpg

Stopped for a beer (had to make sure the fridge was operational) and to check the turnbuckles after 50-60 miles. Didn't seem like they had budged at all. Comforting for sure.
gallery_2473_305_61180.jpg

After that stop it was a beeline back home. Only occasionally nervously looking into the rearview to make sure my new toy wasn't about to fly off the truck onto the hwy :)

Pulled into the driveway and cautiously approached the garage. (Side Note: I had of course done the math and knew it was going to be really close...but wasn't sure how much sag to account for). Wasn't going to be a big deal if I couldn't fit it into the garage, but sure would be nice if I could. Feeling pretty darn good right about now....
gallery_2473_305_105028.jpg

The wife and I make a few cocktails, pop the top of the camper, plop down on the couch and thoroughly enjoy our upgrade from tent camping.

***Fast Forward a week to July 4th for our first outing***
NOTE: My apologies for lack of photos from here on out, but there was simply a lot of playing and not enough photo taking.

The wife and I head up to Stanley, ID for the long weekend. Met up with some of our friends who had just come off a week on the Rogue River. We had an amazing capsite at Alturas Lake. Basically, great weekend with good friends, great hiking, swimming, and general relaxing....

Redfish Lake - Not only a great launch-off point for some great backcountry adventures, but a great place to relax for the day as well.
gallery_2473_305_191504.jpg

Went for a day hike up to Alpine Lake. Turns out there was still a bit of snow up there :)
gallery_2473_305_86309.jpg

Zeus starting to question my friendship after chasing a few sticks into the semi-frozen lake.
gallery_2473_305_43665.jpg

All in all, a great first outing with the new camper!

Congrats Eshelman! Sounds like you will get a lot of enjoyment from your new set-up.

So to sum up,

New Camper. Check
Boondocking in Nevada. Check
Picture of food. Check
Beer. Check
Picture of Dog. Check
Mountains, lakes, rivers, desert all in one post. Check

I think you just scored 100% on WTW members' favorite things! :D

Congrats Eshelman! Sounds like you will get a lot of enjoyment from your new set-up.

So to sum up,

New Camper. Check
Picture of food. Check
Beer. Check
Picture of Dog. Check

I agree 100% with my best friend Ted! Welcome to WtW Eshelman!

So to sum up,

New Camper. Check
Picture of food. Check
Beer. Check
Picture of Dog. Check

Yup! Welcome to the ATC/FWC owners group! No slight intended for owners of other great campers. Wander on!

Totally jealous of your truck, new camper, trip reporting skills, your dog etc....

I see the camper came with pre-installed bug splats! I didn't realize that was an option.

Congrats.

I would have enjoyed your post more if you'd ripped some cabinets out and done some mods right away. You know, break things.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Ha! Yeah, the pre-installed bug splats were pricey but so worth it. It came down to that or the James Bond option that shoots oil and spikes out the back to thwart people who are chasing me. It was a tough call....

Nice that you were able to get into the garage. What is the height of your Hawk plus the truck?

Back
Top Bottom