New Hawk

Spitfire

As mentioned before, I ordered a new Hawk a couple of months ago and I just got back yesterday from a trip down to Woodland to get it installed. I thought I'd go back over some things since this was basically a two year effort to buy this camper. I originally was going to get an Eagle installed on a new Tacoma or Frontier since my old Frontier was getting old and I wanted to get a new truck. After a whole bunch of reading and going back and forth on the issue several times I decided to get a Hawk installed on a 3/4 ton pickup. Chevy had just upgraded their heavy duty trucks in 2011 and decided to start looking for one thinking I'd get one in the spring of 2012.

Within a short time during the late fall of 2011 I found a leftover 2011. I got a great deal so I went for it. Here's a picture of it when new:

NewChevyTruck011.jpg

That set me back some serious money so the camper was going to have to wait a little while. Meanwhile FWC announced a self contained option initially for the Fleet model but also was going to be available on other models including the Hawk. This was something both my wife and I were really interested in and a short while later we found out FWC was going to be at the Portland show in the spring of 2012 and they were going to be bringing the Fleet self contained model. We went down and checked it out and we really liked it. The problem was we needed to save up some more money. We basically had to wait another whole year. Meanwhile I read this and other forums until I basically knew these campers better than any thing I've ever purchased. Finally in late February this year we went ahead and ordered it.

Here's what we got:

Hawk self contained with the following options:

Hawk Self Contained Camper - Base
Self Contained
Silver Spur Edition (Silver Exterior/Grey Interior)
Mechanical Camper Jacks w/ Brackets (4 corner)
WAECO Compressor 110 Liter Refrigerator/Freezer 2-Way (AC/DC)
Forced Air Furnace w/ Thermostat
Flush Mount Glass Top Appliances
Fan-Tastic Power Roof Vent Fan
Extra Roof Vent
Screen Door
Front Opening Window
8' Side Awning
Auxiliary Side Awning Light
Rear Awning
Rear Wall Steps (better access to roof)
90 Watt Solar Panel w/ Controller
LED Interior Light Upgrade
Interior LED Gooseneck Light (passenger side wall)
Rear Flood Lights (LED)
LED Exterior Lighting Package
Auxiliary Battery System (wiring, battery, separator)
2nd Deep Cycle Battery (dual batteries)
Plastic Rubbermaid Portable Entry Step
Ready To Go Anywhere Package
Extended 10' Yakima "TRACKS ONLY" on Roof

Pretty much a loaded Hawk.

We needed to wait until early May for delivery and we decided to drive down to Woodland and pick up the camper and then take a short vacation on the way back. We decided to not use the camper on the way back as we didn't want to bring all the extra stuff we would need with us. Here's a picture of me the night before the installation in front of the FWC factory in Woodland:

IMG_2596-Copy.jpg

We arrived at the factory at 8:30 for installation and Steve took me out to look at the camper before it was installed. It took about 2 1/2 to 3 hours for installation and then the installer went over everything with me. I did have one problem as the deadbolt for the door was not aligned properly and would not engage properly. FWC's door expert came out and after about a half hour and a little bit of filing the lock was fixed. I had the installer put some water in the tank so I could check out the water systems. We then went to In and Out Burger for lunch and then spent the rest of the afternoon making sure everything worked which it did. I didn't want to drive home not having checked everything out. We went to dinner in Old Sacramento and while we were inside a torrential downpour started which was a good leak check for the roof as there weren't any leaks.

We started home the next day and headed for the northern coast and the Redwoods and then we did the whole Oregon coast and then home to Washington. Great trip. The truck handled the camper very well and as the coastal roads are a combination of curves, hills and straightaways I felt the truck got a good workout. I never felt uncomfortable and truck had plenty of engine and braking power and actually handled pretty well considering the weight. I'm very happy with this truck/camper combination. Going down to Woodland which was all freeway, empty and no tailgate I averaged 15.47 MPG. Coming back with the camper loaded on a combination of roads I averaged 12.45 MPG.

I used the refrigerator every day and I kept it going at night and it worked great and it didn't seem to take a lot of battery power either. I'll be taking it out next week to give it a shakedown overnight trip. So far so good. Here's a bunch of pictures I took today of the camper for those who are interested:

P1010004-Copy.jpg

P1010005-Copy.jpg

P1010007-Copy.jpg

P1010006-Copy.jpg

P1010009-Copy.jpg

P1010011-Copy.jpg

P1010013-Copy.jpg

P1010014-Copy.jpg

P1010015-Copy.jpg

P1010016-Copy.jpg

P1010017-Copy.jpg

P1010023-Copy.jpg

P1010022-Copy.jpg

P1010024.jpg

P1010020-Copy.jpg

P1010021-Copy.jpg

P1010025-Copy.jpg

P1010018-Copy.jpg

Thanks for all the help the last couple of years. I finally get to use one of these camper instead of just reading about them! See you guys out there.

Don

Outstanding write-up. I admire your patience in waiting for the setup of your dreams. Im sure you will enjoy it. thanks for sharing. beautiful set up.... happy travels

Congrats. Way to make it happen......Now make every outing count and post pictures,
Best Wishes
Dan T

Awesome. You will get some great times out of this rig. You did everything right researching it. Heck we should sticky it for others to follow. Can't wait till we have a get together to check it out.

Nice job on the option list....like the "euro" interior.
Since we have just about the same truck and camper I have to say my impressions mirror yours.
Congratulations.

Congratulations on the new Hawk. I know the feeling having picked mine up a couple of weeks ago also. I'm really impressed with the fit and finish of the product. Enjoy...and safe travels!

Very nice rig, if I was buying new I might have the exact set up on the Hawk. Sure like the front dinette and casette tolet.

Thanks for all the kind words. One thing I forgot to add is that the finished weight of the camper was 1524 pounds.

Congrats and great looking setup! It looks like you can move the camper forward have enough room to close the tail gate?

It looks that way from the side but there are bumpers on the front of the camper pushing it back from the front wall of the bed so I don't think there's enough space to close the tailgate.

We took the camper out for it's maiden voyage this weekend at a nearby state park. Overall it went very well and everything worked. I forgot how loud some of the people at state parks can be. I can't wait to get out to some more quieter places. We did have two technical issues:

1) The weather was very cool, humid and it rained off and on so we got quite a bit of condensation on the inner soft wall by morning. We didn't have any windows open and the ceiling vents were closed.

2) I fired up the furnace to try and warm up the camper in the morning and it set off the smoke alarm pretty quickly. I figured since it was new it was burning off some gunk on the inside of the furnace.

When we got home the weather was okay so I aired the camper out using the powered fan and also ran the heater a while to help burn off some of the gunk inside.

Very happy so far.

Congrats on the maiden voyage.

Yup, I set off our fire alarm this last Thrusday after pick up on Tuesday the 14th. I ran it for a couple hours and then spent the night in it Saturday. Smelled fine when I used it Saturday night.

That alarm is no joke. My ears are still ringing!

Thanks for all the kind words. One thing I forgot to add is that the finished weight of the camper was 1524 pounds.

Question for you, is that [1524lbs.] dry weight or wet weight?
Wet with water tanks and propane tanks etc. all full.
Thanks in advance

Question for you, is that [1524lbs.] dry weight or wet weight?
Wet with water tanks and propane tanks etc. all full.
Thanks in advance

I'm pretty sure it's dry weight. The water tanks were empty for sure. I had them fill both propane tanks but I don't think that's included in the weight.

Congrats! Looks like a great setup.

We used to get quite a bit of condensation but now keep our vent just slightly cracked and it helps a ton.

Enjoy all the adventures ahead!

Back
Top Bottom