New Inreach device: Garmin Inreach Messenger

Old Crow

Searching....
Garmin has announced a new device in the Inreach line called the Garmin Inreach Messenger.

The DC Rainmaker channel on YouTube has a pretty good overview. Ray also has thoughts on Inreach versus the recently-announced iPhone14 satellite messenger feature.

Features-

- 28-day battery life (for 10-minute tracking intervals) (Mini 2 is 14-days)
- New Messenger app for your phone (it seamlessly switches between cellular and satellite for messages, also- it syncs to your phone's contact list. Also- this app will soon work with some other Inreach devices, including Mini2)
- Battery-bank feature (intended as an emergency charge for your phone)
- Tracking (Note-the same fees apply as other Inreach devices-- tracking cost depends on what subscription plan you have)
- Can send messages to a Garmin watch
- Unlike the Mini 2, it does NOT have routing. You can't define a series of GPS positions and have the device route you to the positions.
- TracBack (a basic follow-your-track-backwards capability)
- Pre-set messages (free non-emergency messages like "I"m OK" or 'I'm going out of cell range', etc.
- Weather
- Interactive SOS (exchange messages with Garmin's International Emergency Response Coordination Center)
- Waterproof to IPX7 standard
- Lower cost than Mini2 ($299 vs $399)

Garmin Inreach Messenger page on the Garmin website

Note- It is not yet clear how well the Messenger device works compared to the Mini2. Hopefully we'll see performance comparisons soon.

Love these devices, don't love the pricing plans. The recreation plan that really has something you could use is $35/month unless you do the annual price of $25. The device cost $300. You can suspend the service but I think there's an annual fee too? They have a lot of small print that is confusing to me on what fees there are, etc.

Bummer it doesn't list being compatible with the Overlander. I would think that would have been a great pairing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom