New member with a few questions

ACom

Advanced Member
Hello all,

This is my first post as a new member here but I have been lurking around for some time as I continue to wait for a good used FWC. I already appreciate the excellent information that is available on this site.

I am hoping to purchase a used 2000 Grandby here shortly for my 2006 F150 and am just waiting to hear back if it’s still available. If it’s a deal, then I will need to travel a fair distance to pick it up but I’m in need of a good road trip to get out of winter for a few days. I would like a bit of advice from the group here on getting prepared to haul the camper home.

1. Are the factory tie downs in my truck suitable to get the camper home. It’s about 1000 miles of highway only driving. I’ll install the proper eye bolts once I’m home.

2. I was planning on just placing the camper on a sheet of plywood to protect my box for the drive home or am I better to just get a rubber mat now?

3. Will a 2000 FWC fit into the deeper box of a 2006 F150 or will I need to raise the camper up on a platform first?

Hopefully I’ll have a camper soon and be able to start sharing some trip photos with everyone here.

Cheers,
Anthony

Anthony, welcome to the forum.

I made about a 2500 mile one-way trip to purchase my second-hand Hawk. I took along my trusty 1/2 inch Makita drill and a few hand tools.

My advice is: Because it is so easy to do correctly, and because the cost of failure is so high, drill and install the eybolts before you mount the camper on the truck.

Mark

Anthony, Welcome. I 2nd what Mark said. I traveled from Tucson to Tumwater to get my Hawk. I was only able to tie the front down and the FWC moved around enough so that the jacks scratched the paint on the outside of the box and thats on a rubber mat and a fairly smooth interstate.
When I got to Ventura l installed the rear eyes for the rest of the trip.

Thanks for the quick responses

Ok, I'm convinced. I’ll pack along a drill and pick up some eye bolts if I end up sealing the deal on this camper.

Welcome and good luck!

I just picked up my new (used) hawk this week and the PO was nice enough to help me install the eyebolts and load the camper into my truck. It took us several hours (long story... short cable jacks, tall truck), but we got it done and it made the trip home uneventful. I do still need to do my wiring, but other than that it is ready to go. I have made a few small repairs already, brackets/curtain retainers that were broken etc. All in all I'm happy though and I'm sure you will be too!

Kyle

spacer?

Better check with the factory, you may need a spacer to fit the Grandby on your Ford. If you do I have a very nice one you can have for free. But, unless you or the Grandby is in So Cal it probably is on your way.

Remember hand tight and then a half turn with a stubby. To tight breaks welds (personal experience). Check them periodically for loosness.

I called Stan/Chicali before I went to pick mine up they were able to tell me the measurements of where to install the eyebolts before I left. It sure helped out the process not having to do the install at the sellers house. Just my .02 centalvos.

Thanks for the offer of the spacer bobg333 but I won't be heading all the way to So Cal but I will be passing by Woodlands so it might be worth stopping in on the way. I think it would be best to call FWC and mount the eye bolts at home as suggested.

Now if the seller would only return my emails....

Cheers,

Anthony

The spacer I have was custom built by the previous owner for a grandby on an F250 long bed. It is extremely well built out of wood and welded steel. Even tho I don't need it, I hate to junk something that sooner would do some good for somebody. Anyway, as I said, it's yours if it makes sense for you to spend the time and petrol to come and get it.

Thanks for all the input and the welcome. The advice provided will have to wait for another camper to come along...... or maybe I'll have enough saved up for a new one by then :D.

Back
Top Bottom