New member with an old FWC. Lots of pics inside

REDBEAST9

Hi all, I'm new to this site and purchased a used FWC in the Fall of 2007. We use it for Hunting, Fishsing, and Camping. It is an old camper and I paid $300 for it. I bought it for my Farther to use but it wouldn't fit on his 97 dodge. So we just use it on my 94 ford. Curently he is looking for a 90-96 ford extended cab 4x4 to put the FWC on and just leave it on the truck. But as you can tell by the pics it is in need of repairs but it is still usable as it is and we have sure put it to use. So far the only thing I have added to it was the porta potty. I have been looking at this site for a few months and came across this site while trying to find some info about FWC's. I have never seen one before in my area (North Alabama).
Here is what little info I have about it:
1)the main body is 8' long and it will fit on a short bed with a 64" tailgate opening
2)the year is a 1982 or 1984, its hard to tell, it looks like each was scribed over the other
3) it has the following serial/model/plan #
1st line....14109 followed by four check marks
2nd line....Plan App No. 802
3rd line.....Date 11-29-82 or 84? and then 11774 after the that.
(any info as to what model this makes it and such would be helpful)

I need to replace the pop-up pannels in the front and rear and do some majior cleaning of the canvas. I also plan on adding a window AC unit in the rear for our summer fishing trips when a camp ground is close.

Anyway on to some pics. Pleas let me know what yall think and any links to some of the repair threads would be GREAT!!!

p5040001.jpg

p5040002.jpg

p5040003.jpg

p5040004.jpg

I will post more pics as I go, it will only allow me to post 4 pics at a time.

p5040023.jpg

p5040024.jpg

p5040025.jpg

p5040026.jpg

Thats all the pics I have, just took a few the other day after I took it off the truck. I took alot so yall could see the things that are or may be wrong with it so maybe I could be pointed in the right dirrecion for the repairs I need to make. Thank you all!!!

REDBEAST9, I am in Huntsville with a Four Wheel Camper similar to yours. Mine has its problems solved and I know all about them. Actually, you have a pretty nice camper and worth more than you paid for it. –John D

RED,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the pictures, we love 'em here. You got a great deal on that camper no matter how much extra you have to put into it. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the replys guys. To tell the truth I had no ides these things were worth as much when I bought it. I just thought it was a fair price and got it from a friend thats been hunting out of it for a few years and had it on a smal trailer and finaly he bought a bunper pull camper to replace it. I bought it because it was light with a low profile for the mountians and it would be easy for my Farther (older) to handle (he's been wanting a RV but due to his health he cant handle one anymore). And another reson was all the lights worked and the HEATER!!!

My plans;
1) replace the front and rear push boards (1/4'' plywood A/B grade and seal it)
2)clean the canvas good and find something that will make the front corners plyiable again(dont know what to use)
3)replace the sheet metal screws with stainless screws(hardware store)
4)add a window AC unit(whoever has one that fits cheap 150-200 buxs)
5)maybe add a 110 volt GFI outlets inside and out(have this type of stuff laying around)
6)paint the wood areas with some latex
7)maybe replace the damaged siding with some sheet metal I have in the shop(I dought it though)
8)silcone any questionable areas (have the silcone laying around also)

Did I miss anything?? If so LET ME KNOW!!!

I figured a few hundred buxs at the most and I am in no hury to get these things done at this time. I'm still trying to finish building another Bronco.

Of course you missed something. We don't ever really finish our campers (oops, was I not supposed to mention that yet?).
Nice buy. You'll have a lot of fun with it. Hopefully Stan will come along with some more info on just what it is.

Found you some links on the search that I recalled:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=726

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=815&highlight=plywood

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663&highlight=plywood

Thanks again for the links!! AWSOME!!:thumb:

I realy liked all the picks on the one link using the 1/4'' plywood and that sure did turn out nice.

But now I have a whole new question that my farther raised. He asked me if I could just make the FWC 60'' wide to fit newer trucks?? I know it has an aluminum frame and I have a tig welder and can weld so no problem there. My real question is about the water tank and heater. Is there enough room to do this mod and still keep them in there currant location?? I know I could tear the inside apart and see but thought someone might know the answear. Or should I start another thread to ask this question??

That question is better asked to Stan @ FWC factory for advice. Either call or wait if he reads this. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom