New Raven and Boot damage

DGS

I have been reading about problems with paint deterioration from the boot that goes between the camper and truck cab. It has been interesting reading about the issue and how to solve it. Thanks for the information.
I just took deliver on a new Raven in mid March 2012. It is mounted on my Ford F150 FX4. I purchased a boot for my rig and after 10 days of travel I have experienced a problem with the boot melting to the cargo light. My wife had to peal it off the light when we took the camper off, see attached. Has anyone had this problem and if so what have you done to solve it? From my perspective it could be a fire hazard.
I have had communications with the factory but the response has been that the boot is a standard and the best they can recommend is removing the light bulbs before the camper is installed. This solution doesn't work for me. Has anone had this problem and if what was the solution?
Thanks
Dave
Boot fit to truck cab.
IMG_4916.jpg
Truck cargo light damage.
IMG_4909.jpg
Boot damage
IMG_4912.jpg

A simple solution would be to replace the bulb with an LED light. They run cool and wont melt the boot.

If the boot is mounted 100% of the time....you could simply remove the bulb like I did.

As a side note....I found out the hard way that the boot will destroy all of the painted surfaces it touches because grit gets in between the boot and the paint. You are far better off removing the boot altogether.

Thanks overland and leadsled.

The truck is my primary mode of transportation so the camper will only be on when we do a trip which will last about 3 months +/- a year.

I am considering not using the boot, but our dog seems to like it and if I can avoid the melted material and paint wear I might try to use it.

I have also been reading about installing the clear film, used for protecting chopper blades, on the truck to reduce the wear. Any of you have any experience with that?

Thanks again for your input.

Back
Top Bottom