New rig....need advice on eye bolt locations

NWCamper

Advanced Member
Installing a 2004 Granby Shell on a 1997 F-150 short bed. Anyone have advice on where to mount the eye bolts? I saw an older thread that recommended the far corners of the bed for a 2000 Granby but my understanding is that the locations may have changed over the years with the newer campers. Thanks in advance!

Installing a 2004 Granby Shell on a 1997 F-150 short bed. Anyone have advice on where to mount the eye bolts? I saw an older thread that recommended the far corners of the bed for a 2000 Granby but my understanding is that the locations may have changed over the years with the newer campers. Thanks in advance!

Measure based off your camper and also see what makes sense based on your bed construction. I believe you want the front set having the bed connection forward of the the camper connection so its like "/". The rears should be like this "\" more but you need to be careful of where the camper fills out the truck bed again after the wheel well.

I believe I've got my front set about 3-4" off the front wall (right through a framing member on my bed). There rears are just a few inches back from vertical.

Regarding bed construction...

You want to have the bolts in the bed go thru as much metal as possible.

The bed has in places a single layer of metal and it is reinforced in other places with a double layer of metal.
Find the double layer of metal.

Unless you are building some brackets that will go from your bolts in the bed, down to the frame rails.
Something like this (a little overbuilt IMHO, but, you'll get the idea)... http://home.comcast....stomMounts.html

Notice in his last photo the little piece of wood that is in the left side of the photo. That piece goes all the way across the front of the truck bed and is thick enough to keep the camper away from the top of the front of the truck bed. No rubbing of the truck bed against the camper body in the front. Yet, the camper is tight "forward". Just in case you need to do that.

Back
Top Bottom