New to me 82 Keystone FWC

Ladrhog

Hello All,
I recently purchased a 1982 keystone FWC. It does come with a few issues and I have a couple of questions. First issue is it is missing the front window. The previous owner took it out and put a seal around his truck window so a dog could pass between. I will be putting it on a flatbed so I need to source a window. I have been looking online to try and find the frame material but haven't found a source yet. There is also some damage to the front below the window. The lower aluminum part of the frame is broken and two of the front supports that go from the window down to the lower frame rail have broken welds. I will be taking off the front skin and re-welding the frame. If I can't find a window I will probably just seal it up and put a new sheet over the front. I also have a wrinkle in the siding over the top of the heater outlet. I don't quite know what to do with this. It seems to me that water would get down there and cause issues. I also need to find a new water inlet piece as mine has a missing cover. Overall I'm very impressed with this for an almost 30 year old camper.
Here are some pictures of what I got.
full

full

full

full

Welcome to the site. Looks like a very nice find.
Have you contacted Stan at FWC or Marty at ATC?

Actually Marty may have built the camper when he
worked for FWC years ago.I highly recommend Marty.
ATC is very helpful and if needed does great work at
a reasonable price.

You should be able to search camper parts for a window and water fill inlet.
These items seem to be standard parts through the camper/RV/trailer models.

Frank

My window dimensions are 58 1/8 x 15. I’ve been out tearing it down all day. I am supposed by the lack of welds on the frame. Also how thin it is. I’ll upload some more pictures soon

Hopefully your soft sidewalls are in as good a shape as they appear in the photos. The original insulated ones could get pretty bad. As mentioned, Marty and the group at ATC are very knowledgeable on the old FWC’s. They have had a good answer for mine the couple times I’ve called them over the years.

As for your window, ATC probably has a source for it. if you can find an old Heil on eBay or Craigslist, it should be the OEM replacement, they show up periodically. There is a vendor on Amazon that advertises vintage RV windows, that’s as much as I know about them. I know they are available as people with old FWC’s write of replacing their old louvered windows with new sliding ones. As for the fill there is nothing special about them, a Camco or the like should work.

The FWC’s of our vintage got their advertised “Flex Frame” from partially welding the uprights. Finding cracked welds on old ones happens periodically in the referb posts. I’m contemplating an overhaul on mine. I suppose I’ll find one or two cracked welds too.

Good luck with yours.

Ladrhog said:
My window dimensions are 58 1/8 x 15. I’ve been out tearing it down all day. I am supposed by the lack of welds on the frame. Also how thin it is. I’ll upload some more pictures soon
that's huge. Mine is only 38 by 15. oh well

Back
Top Bottom