New to me NCO Alaskan

BlueGhost93

Hello all. I recently picked up this NCO that has been gutted and re sealed. I am interested in seeing what everybody else has done with theirs and learning from everybody. Normally I restore classic cars and boats so this is something new to me.

The main things I am interested in is seeing how people have mini fridges set up as well as battery banks with panels. I’m not trying to spend a small fortune as the primary use for this would be duckhunting so I would spend a single night in it and then come back to it after a day in the blind. And may be a full weekend at most.

Currently I plan to install a sink with a holding tank and freshwater tank with electric pump. Then I’ll be mounting a propane heater and propane stove. I have a porta toilet for it already and next to figure out the electrical and fridge.

Attachments

• 5130BD86-8425-4968-B80A-51F082B98977.jpeg
    5130BD86-8425-4968-B80A-51F082B98977.jpeg
    498.8 KB · Views: 74
Hi BlueGhost, and welcome to Wander the West!

It sounds like you have a great skill set that will come in handy in building out your Alaskan. The folks with Alaskans will be helpful in assisting you plan your build.

Welcome to the forum. That’s a nice looking pair. While I’m an FWC owner, I’ve certainly checked out the Alaskan section on here enough to confirm there is IMO a lot of good info on here concerning them. I’ll be looking to see what you post up about your electrical and other system additions.

Good luck.

Welcome BlueGhost93, what year is your Alaskan? I have a 1972 and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.
Teknomad, that is an awesome rebuild you did on yours. Very impressive!!

Teknomad said:
I did a fairly extensive rebuild of my '81 CO model. I've documented it a bit at antonsicon.com.

Your build page is unreal!!! That is alot of work thanks for sharing.

JoeKan said:
Welcome BlueGhost93, what year is your Alaskan? I have a 1972 and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.
Teknomad, that is an awesome rebuild you did on yours. Very impressive!!
Honestly we dont know. The guy i got it from said it was missing the tag when he bought it so we think its late 60s early 70s.

Do I spot a Fummins? Real nice. Love my 24V, but the Dodge truck it lives in has amazingly bad build quality.

Nice score on the Alaskan NCO, those flip out windows of the early ones really speak to me. Any pics of the inside?

Bos_Trok said:
Do I spot a Fummins? Real nice. Love my 24V, but the Dodge truck it lives in has amazingly bad build quality.

Nice score on the Alaskan NCO, those flip out windows of the early ones really speak to me. Any pics of the inside?
Yes its got a 5.9 cummins :cool: Good eye haha

Ill post some interior pics when i get home.

Photos keep saying to large but here is a few.

Attachments

• ABBEA0E7-4C54-4578-8DA3-2C8B5F4F18C2.jpeg
    ABBEA0E7-4C54-4578-8DA3-2C8B5F4F18C2.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 94
  • F1894C39-95E1-4996-A816-F7CD84FDC962.jpeg
    F1894C39-95E1-4996-A816-F7CD84FDC962.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 87
In my Alaskan for a refrigerator/freezer I went with the NovaKool R3803 that is a good size (100L) and can sit lower than most since it has a stepped back and the compressor on top. Made to fit the hull of a boat but works well for truck campers. It is DC/AC but I went with DC only since it it is cheaper. For your application if you are only using the camper for duck hunting a chest type DC fridge may work just as well since you don't need the size for a day or two and it can be removed and used for other things. Another option would be a truck fridge that are smaller and cheaper. Here is the NovaKool: https://www.suremarineservice.com/Galley/Single-Door-Refrigerators-Over-25/R3803DC.html

dastrom said:
In my Alaskan for a refrigerator/freezer I went with the NovaKool R3803 that is a good size (100L) and can sit lower than most since it has a stepped back and the compressor on top. Made to fit the hull of a boat but works well for truck campers. It is DC/AC but I went with DC only since it it is cheaper. For your application if you are only using the camper for duck hunting a chest type DC fridge may work just as well since you don't need the size for a day or two and it can be removed and used for other things. Another option would be a truck fridge that are smaller and cheaper. Here is the NovaKool: https://www.suremarineservice.com/Galley/Single-Door-Refrigerators-Over-25/R3803DC.html
Thats a good idea. i ordered a iceco chest style. I can use it here and in the boat!

I also just picked up marine paint from sherwin williams. Its catalyzed so should hold up well.

Thank you mighty dodge!

Couple things. Does anybody know what these tiedown looking brackets are for? My first guess was traditional camper style tiedown rods.

Secondly, does anybody have a extra pair of badging for the sides?

Here is the image of the tie down thing in question.

Attachments

• IMG_5885.jpg
    IMG_5885.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 27
BlueGhost93 said:
Thank you mighty dodge!

Couple things. Does anybody know what these tiedown looking brackets are for? My first guess was traditional camper style tiedown rods.

Secondly, does anybody have a extra pair of badging for the sides?
Don't have any extra badges and they are not cheap when they show up on eBay. The latest ones that sold were about $100 each. An alternative is a decal. This place has them but don't know much about them. Scroll down and they are listed there.

https://www.customvintagetrailerparts.com/vintage-camper-trailer-stickers-decal-brands--a-f-.html

This is the reply i got,

My Alaskan decals come in a set of two for $38.00.
All my decals are made when ordered. I drew the Alaska to appear dimensional like the original emblem but are flat vinyl full color decals.
They are printed on the new Epson 10 color archival "fine art" printer, over twice the number of colors used in traditional decals. This yields the highest quality, most vibrant, and longest lasting decals anywhere. The substrate material is an industrial exterior commercial sign vinyl made for this printing process. I then laminate the printed vinyl image with an additional UV-resistant vinyl layer to add protection and yield the gloss surface. The decal is die-cut so there is no rectangular background.
My turnaround time is now a week to ten days.
I have a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee.
U.S. shipping is free.
If this might work for you, let me know and I can email you an invoice.
Thanks!
Lanny

Attachments

• Alaskan copy.jpg
    Alaskan copy.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 25
Update of the week. It’s 100 degrees out but I got the solar panels on the roof. And for whatever reason the phone doesn’t like to upload images. I’ll try from my work computer tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom