New Velcro for Exterior Window Flaps?

mht

The velcro on the window flaps of my 2001 Granby is about worn out. One of the flaps blows open in a not terribly strong wind. The "loop" velcro which is sewn on to camper vinyl is the culpret, i.e., the "hook" side on the flaps is fine. A new piece of loop velcro sticks well to the old hook flap velcro. I've tried all the restoration tricks but it's obvious the loops are mostly broken and beyond repair.
Sooo, I could install a few snaps to hold the flap(s) in place or I could cut out some sections, say 2" long (and as many necessary so that the flap stays down), of the hook velcro by cutting some of the original stiching on each side and then gluing (clear epoxy or velcro glue?) new pieces in their place and glue tacking down the "loose" ends of the cut original velcro, or...

Ideally, removing the complete vinyl pop-up material and rebuilding it would be best but that just ain't gonna happen!

This must be a common problem with the flaps of this vintage FWC but I haven't found any threads, no pun intended.

Ideas??

Marty

2001 Granby on 2000 Toyota Tundra Colorado

Marty, we glue Velcro to PVC and Hypalon inflatable boats and have no issues, we use the same glues these boats are made with and the bond is quite strong. You would need to remove the old Velcro and any old adhesive so the glue can be applied to the camper fabric and to the back of the Velcro(glue is a contact adhesive). The camper fabric is very similar to PVC fabric used on the boats, you can get the PVC glue West Marine and I think North West River Supply has it also(do not use the Hypalon glue). You'll need cool dry weather when applying the glue and proper cleaning with the recommended solvent is necessary for optimum results. By the way, tears and cuts in the fabric can be repaired the same way. Message me if you have questions. Tom at Triad Marine.

It is normally only the fuzzy side that wears out. You can refresh it by trimming off the loose fluffy stuff, this fix does not last long. Try a new fuzzy strip on your old hook side, might save 1/2 the work.

Bill

Well, just to clarify, it's the velcro (looks like loops to me) on the window "frame" that's no longer sticking. The velcro on the flaps which to my thinking is the fuzzy part, is fine. I'm thinking that a maybe 4 or 5 patches of new industrial strength loop velcro may be all that I need. I'll consider the complete velcro replacement on the frame...may be almost the same amount of work but produce a superior seal.

Has anyone tried to "grind" off the loops and then glue onto the velcro base which would then be pretty smooth. I was thinking of using a multi-function tool with the abrasive attachment used to remove tile cement, etc. I haven't had a chance to try it on a piece of scap velcro yet.

Thyanks for the suggestions!

Marty

Marty,
have you pressed a new piece of fuzzy stuff on the loops on the frame? You might find they will hold.

Me to Marty

I use clothes pegs to hold mine up now. Would like to replace the whole thing with the new design, but $$.

Camping in Baja for many years ate up that velcro - UV and salt air. I keep mine rolled up with EMT clamps, (maybe) the 2" size and the "half clamp" style (only one screw hole). The half round EMT end goes around the rolled up flap and the screw hole has a string with a loop that hooks to the roof clamp point for two of the flaps and a little hook secured to a roof edge screw for the two flaps that don't have a roof clamp point in the right place. Works well but now the problem is the flap won't stay down in a blow!

Just to clarify, after a chat with a velcro guru, the fuzzy stuff is the "loop" and the rough stuff is considered the "hook". The substrate is nylon and therefore extremely difficult to bond. The velcro with adhesive won't work with the technique I had hoped to use: grind of the hooks which are worn out and glue in a new piece of hook (with adhesive or sew in) material. I'd be trying to bond nylon to nylon. There are specialty adhesives that will work but are super expensive. PVC glue might work; essentially melting the nylon to form the bond.
So back to the drawing board! Snaps are looking better all the time!

What gets me, is the new design does not have the outside storm flaps? I tried to get FW to make me a new liner with flaps and they will not. I wonder how people like others looking into the camper at night when windows are open for ventilation? Or keep blowing rain from coming in???? I have always stayed the flaps out with some wood blocks with velcro stapled to two sides, making an awning over each window on my 99 Grandby. The Sewing is starting to go on some of the velcro. and I keep hitting it with vinyl glue to hold the loose threads in place... If I have to replace for now, would take old velcro completely off and try an adhesive between velcro backing. However PVC is very hard to bond too because of the active plasticizers explained here:

http://reltekllc.com/adhesivesfornylon.aspx

going to call makers of Stabond used on PVC boats to see if it will bond to nylon....

Talked to Stabond tech who says a contact type cement, nitrile or neoprene rubber would work best.
He is sending me a sample. It sounds like same as Weldwood contact cement to me.

I have some PVC inflatable boat material somewhere in garage, I'm going to try bonding velcro to it with
the Weldwood contact I have now. Have also seen a hot glue gun acrylic will stick to Velcro and PVC,
have to try that also...

Back
Top Bottom