Newbie needs some direction to organize my thoughts

breeves2245

Just joined this forum. Retirement is still three years away, but want to get some overall decisions made that will help me plan my needed savings to buy a truck/camper rig.

The camper is the easy part it seems. I'm a single Joe, no wife, no kids. So I'm looking at campers like the Hawk. The truck for me is the harder decision. Plan to buy used and to target cash needed in the future for a truck I need some basic parameters. What is best to decide first gas vs diesel, 2500 vs 3500, payload, etc.?

If payload the right place to start the decision tree and most pop ups I've looked at seem to weigh in the 900-1100 lb range (correct me if I'm wrong) then do I target a payload of 2,000lbs? I read you should double the camper weight for payload, but that may be a rule of thumb for couples and related cargo, not a solo traveler. At some point I may want to tow an aluminum boat for fishing trips and I estimate the tongue weight at 150lbs. I don't want to cut it close and be concerned about safety, but at the same time don't want to spend more on a truck than necessary.

If I have a payload target, then what is the next logical decision. I plan on touring mostly the west and don't think I will be interested in serious off road but certainly would prefer a rig that will go off road to get me away from the crowds. I have a 2002 Silverado with 195k miles with a GVWR of 6200. I'm guessing it weighs around 4,700 giving a payload of 1500. I was going to a CAT scale this week but after more research, I realized this truck is not worth considering. Currently have a commuter car for work, so it's my second vehicle for getting mulch, etc.

Any advice to get me started in the right direction on truck needs would be greatly appreciated.

Ask your questions to 400 people and you will get 400 different answers since everyone has different opinions, priorities, interests, and values. My thoughts:

Diesel versus gas: diesel is worth the extra cost ($5-10,000) if you tow over 5000 pounds while the camper is on the truck for a lot of miles, say 10,000 or more per year.

3/4 ton versus 1 ton: I prefer leaf springs over coil in this choice for greater rear axle stability. Test drive the truck and hit some bumps to see how you like the ride of a 3/4 ton versus 1 ton heavy duty. A lightly optioned Hawk will be around 1100 pounds dry and empty and a lot of options will hit 1500 pounds dry and empty. Add 200 pounds for water and propane and 400-500 pounds for food and gear. Add your weight and the boat hitch weight and 2500+/- pounds of payload is a good start. A 2013 gas Ford F-250 4x4 SuperCab payloads over 3100 pounds while a F-350 payload would only be over 3600 pounds with heavy duty options. The larger weight of a diesel would lower these payload numbers.

Get the trailer mirrors added if the truck does not have them for solo driving (we got ours put on by the Ford dealer).

Regular cab trucks have larger blind spots so I prefer an extended cab for solo travel, we only travel as two in our regular cab.

Our regular cab truck payloads 2800 pounds (tailgate off): camper dry weight is 1100 pounds (jacks off), two people at 300 pounds, 200 pounds for water and propane, plus 500 pounds of gear and food (and beer) adds up to 2100 pounds of load and the truck handles it well.

I prefer 3/4 ton or better for having both a trailer and a camper at the same time. My half ton works well with just the camper but adding a trailer would be a strain.

This subject has been extensively discussed on this forum, search around and you will find lots of info. What truck to buy should be based on your expected/estimated payload as iowahiker has outlined. My loaded 2015 Hawk has a dry wt of 1508 lbs, then add in the following items, full fuel, full water (my FWC carries 26 gallons, plus I carry another 5), passenger weights including you, a dog, provisions, ice chest and anything else you can dream up and don't forget to add in at least 300 lbs of tongue weight for a trailer, etc, etc, etc. Once you come up with your final tally your ready to look at trucks, Oh did I mention to add a couple extra hundred lbs to be safe! Drive all the trucks that meet your payload requirements, Ram, Ford, Chevy/GMC, etc, etc they are all excellent choices. As for engines, diesels have great mpg, incredible power, but are expensive and reduce payload, gas have reasonable mpg, std entry has acceptable power, no extra cost and doesn't reduce payload. I know that one of the above mentioned trucks with a gas engine is eligible for a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty for $3000.00, unless it's been discontinued.

Bottom line, to me it's about payload, that's where you should start!

Further note: The payload capacity of my truck is 1791 lbs ( I know, I didn't do my homework), my FWC weights 1508 lbs. Two weeks ago I headed to Saline Valley fully loaded out of Carson City, wife, dog, me (we are average weight), fuel, water, etc, etc, etc, I stopped by the dump and weighted the truck, came in at 10,600 lbs, that means everything above the weight of the Hawk was 883 lbs! That's a number you might be able to use.

breeves2245 said:
Just joined this forum. ... Any advice to get me started in the right direction on truck needs would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome! You're in an enviable position of knowing what camper you want and then choosing the truck to carry it. There are many truck choices depending on preference and availability--just like women! Also, there are many configurations and build options in pickups which affect payload and handling. Used models make it a bit more difficult because you have to account for modifications and added equipment that add weight. Whatever you get, weigh it before buying and compare to the weight placard so you'll know for sure--weight estimates are notoriously inaccurate.

A few half-ton pickups can carry your popup camper (usually with suspension mods), most 3/4-ton models will be fine, and one-ton trucks should be more than adequate. In general a 3/4-ton will be the sweet spot for a popup. A one-ton might be preferable if you plan to add heavy options such as bumpers, oversize tires, an auxiliary fuel tank, etc.

With one person a regular cab may be a good choice if you can find one. A regular cab saves weight, increases payload and shortens length. In fact, a properly equipped half-ton pickup with a regular cab can have a payload similar to a 3/4-ton crew cab. However, regular cabs are usually work trucks with few amenities.

A gas engine will help keep the purchase price and weight down, and gas is generally preferred unless you are a diesel fan. If you do go with a used diesel, select the model carefully and find out its service history because some of them had major troubles.

Good luck with your search!

Excellent advise here. I wish i'd asked this question before I bought my rig.

I'll give you my $.02..
The half ton market should be ruled out. Too many mods needed to just make it "drive able" with a load like you're contemplating.
The difference in cost between a 3/4 and 1 ton is almost negligible so I say go with a 1 ton. In the Ford SD line the major difference is that the 1 tons have overload springs which only come into play when you're excessively loaded. When you're empty the ride should be about the same.
I would reccomend at least a super cab if not a crew cab. This will give you valuable storage space that is secure and not something you'll have to load and unload every time you want to use the camper.
I'm a diesel guy but recognize its not for everyone so I'll just leave it there.

Back
Top Bottom