Nikon 18-200mm Should I Replace It?

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
I have used this lens for years as a general purpose "walk around" lens, although I suspect I've overly stretched that "walk around" moniker with the places and conditions it has been and put through.

Last Saturday on the summit of Lassen Peak the auto focus function started to malfunction. I dropped it off at a Nikon repair facility yesterday and am awaiting their diagnosis and estimate - 3 to 5 days.

From online research, I figure the focus motor is shot and the repair could run well over half the price of a new lens.

So, I could have a decision ahead.

On the trail, skiing, climbing mountains, deep in Death Valley canyons, etc., the lens works well. But, it does have the well known short comings such as fairly soft focus across the board and don't ever use it all the way out to 200 mm.

I offer up these questions.

Should I get it repaired?

Should I replace it with the same lens?

Should I consider a different lens for replacement such as the 16-85mm that I was reading about last evening? It is said to be a sharper lens. I would loose reach but gain some in the wide angle.

I appreciate your respectful and experienced insights and suggestions. Thanks!

Ski,

Are you on a crop sensor? The 28-300 is a wonderful lens but on a crop you would have 42-450 which might not be what you want.

The 24-120 F4 is also very nice. Tokina makes a nice Pro lens but I forget the exact range though it is wide. Sigma also makes some good lenses. My experience with Tamron is only 1 lens and I wasn't impressed.....

I would buy a new lens before I would put much money into a kit lens. YMMV :)

Decisions like this can always grow arms and legs, don't they?

DX or FX? Currently I have a D3200 body (DX). I suspect sometime I'll add FX. My last lens purchase reflected that and was FX.

But I enjoy the size and weight of the D3200 with the 18-200 as a "throw in my backpack" duo. I expect, even if I move to FX, I'd keep the D3200 around.

So the answer to DX or FX? A toss up. Getting another lens for the DX, I wouldn't consider it a waste of money.

But pulling me the other way is as I process photos I am noticing more and more the lens shortcomings.

I spent my lunch break today reading lens reviews..........................................

Thanks, and please continue with your thoughts. :)

I haven't had a DX lens in years but my last one was a Sigma 10-20 and it was an excellent lens. If their 18-200 and 18-300 lenses are the same quality they might be something to look at.

The great thing about FX lenses is they work on everything. The best lesson I learned as I got to know more accomplished photographers was put your big money in glass. I started buying FX lenses 3 or 4 years before I actually got an FX camera. Made that purchase much less painless :)

Mr 3Pin, knowing the kind of places you like to go, I'm thinking you should stay DX because of size and weight. The 18-200 is a great lens for these kind of activities. I would also look at Tokina and Sigma to see what equivalent lenses are in their lines. My 2¢ worth.

I'm not a Nikon shooter, so can't really say much about their line up of lenses and bodies.
Body size matters! For the big hikes a smaller crop sensor or mirrorless body is a godsend.

But, for the best landscapes, you will want full sensor and quality glass.
I second WS on Sigma/Tokina as very fine glass. I just saw an excellent Sigma Art 14mm image of Tahoe that blew my mind.
The photographer did a night shot of a rocky beach, and flew a drone with LED to illuminate the cove while taking his exposure.
But, it seems you want a "walk around lens", so that's going to be a mid-range zoom with some reach for those critter shots.

Last comment: You might look at the Buy/Sell board on Fred Miranda. Use the search function and you can see what is the going price. In my experience, sellers with high reputation points are safe to buy from.

Patrick, interesting photographer and info. Thanks for sharing!

Lens recommendations are down around page 16 or so for anyone wanting to go straight to them. That's in the PDF document. (peg documeny6. Dadgum autocorrect!!!!!)

pvstoy said:
Hey Ski (and others) here is more reading information on camera and lenses if you are looking for quality level. You can head over to his web page and look through some past newsletters.

http://www.ejphoto.com/Quack PDF/Quack Autumn 2017.pdf

http://www.ejphoto.com/newsletter.htm
Patrick-
Thanks for the links. He is certainly a talented artist and seems to like the D500 as well.

E.J. Is a stand up guy that I like to be around and he offers sound advice. He leads trips with Naturescapes and we went on a trip to photograph ducks in Arizona "duck workshop" he made learning and using flash so easy to understand. E.J. Is one of the moderators on Naturescapes.net web forum.

Update: I talked with the repair shop and accepted their estimate of $225 for the repair. For that it will be worth keeping.

Thanks all for your suggestions and help! :)

ski3pin said:
Update: I talked with the repair shop and accepted their estimate of $225 for the repair. For that it will be worth keeping.

Thanks all for your suggestions and help! :)
Mr 3Pin, the only experience I've had with Nikon repair was very positive. My 200-400/4 developed a squeak when focusing after 4 years of hard use. They covered it under warranty, and it came back working as advertised. I think you'll be pleased.

Back
Top Bottom