Nissan Frontier + Eagle, suspension woes (supersprings vs others)

PeterV

Advanced Member
So, I have a 2007 Nissan Frontier (crew cab, long bed, 6speed), and FWC Eagle (I just got both, and am super excited!). I wanted to beef up the rear suspension as recommended.

After research here and elsewhere I decided against the airbags as the camper will be on full-time on the truck, and I don't want to tear off the bags while offroading - I basically want something maintenance free, and as worry free as possible. So I got the supersprings (SSA1 model). I got them installed last week and unfortunately, the rear shackle hits the frame going over any small bump (basically with the camper on, the shackle is nearly contacting the frame already... going over bumps etc it hits). It seems like that's basically a deficiency in the supersprings and how they fit the Frontier (there is no adequate frame clearance). I can install bigger bump stops, but I don't want the truck to sit on the bump stops either! I just returned from a trip from California to Moab, Utah and I'm not comfortable with the current setup long-term :(

So, any ideas/suggestions what to do? Particularly I'm wondering:

1) Any suggestions on fixing/improving the existing supersprings setup? I'm thinking no... but just in case.

2) If I were to remove/return them (hopefully I can), what do I do instead? Do the hellwig ones work better/have more frame clearance?

3) Do I just get new custom built rear spring packs from a place like Alcan? Add a leaf?

Thanks for any thoughts! Here are a couple of pics..

Attachments

• n.jpg
    n.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 234
  • shackle.jpg
    shackle.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 227
Sorry, I do not know anything about supersprings. But I did want to say that I really like my Timbrens, and they are totally maintance free.

Thanks for the photos.

I have a Tundra DC.... but I went the same route as you did.....and had the same results.

"Supersprings" just aren't that "Super". Mine only bottomed out on speedbumps and when entering parking lots, but it bottomed out just the same.

Like Overland Hadley/Nate who posted above....I ended up going with Timbrens at that point and have never thought about it again. Yes, they are just glorified bump stops and there are no fancy gauges or adjustments to speak of...but they took all the sway and bounce out of the equation and made the truck feel incredibly stable. (with the camper on I am riding on the Timbrens, FYI)

I had mine installed because, at the time, I thought the Ssprings would have to be removed and it was snowing and I just didn't wanna crawl under there (LOL :LOL: )....but it ended up the shop that put the timbrens on was able to leave the Supersprings on as well...so now I have both....

good luck finding a fix

mtn

frontier, congrats on the new truck and camper! My vote is for answer 3. We had a set of springs made for us by Deaver Springs and are very happy.

frontier, congrats on the new truck and camper! My vote is for answer 3. We had a set of springs made for us by Deaver Springs and are very happy.

What he said.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts! Gerry, the CEO of supersprings replied almost immediately to my inquiry, and pointed out that the springs are mounted backwards (the rounded shackle in that picture is meant to be in the front!). Despite me providing the mounting instructions to the shop who installed them, they got it wrong. :( And I didn't notice until he pointed it out. He's also sending me improved shackles that will allow for more clearance between the spring and frame, and bump stops to prevent hitting the frame in the extreme articulation / bottoming out case. I think with such a configuration it will be similar to the Timbrens. I'll try that out as there are some favorable reviews from superspring/frontier owners elsewhere, so it might just work out. And if it doesn't work out, I'll look into new custom springs altogether, though I'd prefer a local shop as opposed to ordering remotely... There is no doubt that this is the best way to go long term, if the camper will stay on the truck 100% of the time.

Wow, sounds like Super Spring gave you some great customer service. That is great to hear!

If I remember correctly, they came out with a product that is similar to Timbrens. And it sounds like you will be getting a set of those, so you will be set to go.

Post some photos when you get the suspension updated. I will be interested to see what it looks like.

Peter,I am going to add my 2 cents here.I have a ATC Bobcat similar to an Eagle.My first truck that it was on was a Ford Ranger Super cab two wheel drive.I installed Supersprings on that truck.My camper stays on all the time as yours.I had no problems with the springs,I used them instead of bags for the reason of the bag could get punctured so on and so on.The truck and camper did great.Now I changed trucks to a 02 Tundra AC FWD with the TRD suspension and went with the bags.First for the $ and also I like the fact that I can level the camper somewhat if need be.I don't do "off road"back country so I don't worry about puncturing a bag.I really like the bags.Of the two I think the bags are better for my usage.
Frank

PeterV, great news that the Superspring folks have helped you out! Please post up how they work for you after a proper installation.

If you are leaving it on full time stop messing around and get a set of custom leaf springs made. Deaver or another reputable spring shop can set you up perfectly and you won't ever have to think about it again.

Cort

If your Super Springs don't work out, I vote for Deaver. You seem to be from California which is where Deaver is. I have s buddy with Deavers on his Tacoma. They have been perfectly reliable and do the job.

Back
Top Bottom