Nissan Frontier - New to Fourm- Supension Upgrades Needed

kkug

Hi all - Just ordered a FWC Fleet Shell . I just got a used 2011 Nissan Frontier ,crew ,4x4,6 ft bed . I need to up grade the supension to accept the camper and prepare for off road. Probley will be doing desert,baja ,Utah , as I live in Sol CA.

Any write ups on Frontier builds here ?

Looking at Tires, 2-2 1/2 lift,air bags , shocks , springs , Sway bars ect.

Any tips will be so helpfull.

Thanks Ken

Hi Ken,
I have a 2016 Frontier CC LWB with a Fleet Shell as well.
I travel on and off road and spend about 6 weeks in the camper last summer logging about 10k miles.
The truck is long and a lift will certainly help navigate off road. I have a 2" basic lift with stock shocks and springs up front, just added the PRG 2" spacer.
In the rear, I added a 2" AAL from PRG, and Firestone Airbags with the lift spacer, stock shocks for now as well.
Tires: I changed from stock to 265/75/16 BFG KO2 E rating.
I was very happy with the truck and performance.
No sway bar was needed in the rear, I left the front one on.
The link is last summer in Colorado.
https://youtu.be/1imFtpRO7mI
ck-MRDk5swjPGpd8eL0nWKm4Qefn9jpd1yFW18vdoI5OehwfJUgkjXsSsi7ILmURnUMh-NH3VP8hnJEvaRV0o2Zo4wC8xaYI_w8Ab-be7Sy-ZhMCOoFbWarbjJ8V1wzBMRpiVP5M-X_1hurb6gbSww9Jv27dTJjr-Aoft4xWJuHNZKXN02JVniRIr7prWhnuOPaCHzDn8_q-xZAgrUa_5IEwpgQcRqHqyJ3dhYoAeVhdxTVOJf06ESpKjRNEGP4xXIGs6ttfl3UNX-4qH_yffjnA91H2VAa-GWg9IMSgjwPY4INTf01PWoPN4mGHV3DTzfHuac4JdtB2Iz3jIO3ELSl0k4WfydSNwImnhfZhmXvx_b9IMawWL6Vs1vo3STHWfAxzn2XpYHigtpHI7jfbGhT3lpp8BZdFm8MD8dRU9snlJNubQqKoKC6NFJvSAsF3kbSmYGkup4B0QFivm-3zRUURkNKGRQIDVmt-OzHacyj43nK6VsYs8Pj1vvpIKklaHO8XQKEqobiyYVootbvz1ZNJX55Fe7WQoGdkafXdV96S5blnZd7Vf5QUzAYtDj6y2A-JcBp2Xhi9CsViEQBOD75sv0aFZtwMRa431hfSLFw=w1550-h872-no

Enjoy and feel free to PM me with any questions.
Josh

I've got a 2007 Nismo King Cab. Went with air bags and E rated times - BFG KO2. No other changes. That has worked well for the 8 yrs I have had my Eagle on it. The E rated tires make a huge difference - much less sway and a lot more stable. Air bags are nice as I take the camper off during the winter. I'm sure I could do more, but that works for me. I have done a lot of off roading with this setup - gone places I probably shouldn't have in Utah and Colorado, but no worse for wear. The smaller trucks are nice for those tight rough off road spots. Good luck - you will love it!

Ken,

There are two ways to go, depending on whether or not you plan to remove the camper between trips. If you do, then stock rear springs and air bags are really the only way to go to preserve a safe and comfortable ride with or without the camper on. Upgraded and preferably adjustable shocks are beneficial as well.

For a permanent installation, I believe the perfect setup would be a set of custom leaf springs that just level the truck with the empty camper on it, with air bags to adjust for varying loads of water, gear, etc., again with adjustable shocks.

I don't recommend the glorified bump stops that require the truck to sag before they engage.

If the Frontier is sprung from the factory similarly to the Tacoma, you won't need to change the front springs unless you're also adding a winch bumper and winch.

If your truck came with LT C-rated tires you'll want to upgrade those as well. There are arguments both ways to go to D-rated tires or all the way to E-rated. We have E-rated BFGs on our Tacoma.

Back
Top Bottom