No isolator only a thermal breaker?

jlrray

Advanced Member
I'm a bit confused with the hook up from my grandby to my camper. i have what looks like a POLLAK thermal breaker connected inline on the positive side of my truck battery and then through the bed and to the wiring in the camper. Does the thermal breaker need to be installed a special way? With the rig off, I still get 12V power to the 15A twist lock that connects the camper to the truck. I don't want to drain my main battery while IM in the middle of nowhere..

Joe

The thermal breaker can be installed in either direction.

Seeing 12v at the camper plug is normal. The battery separator that disconnects the truck from the camper when the truck isn't running is downstream from this point.

Hey Joe

If you want to check to see if you have a battery separator installed in the camper, just disconnect the 2 main wires that are connected to the camper battery inside your camper and check to see it there is 12V power to these wires (when they are not connected to the aux. camper battery).

You do have a deep cycle battery inside the camper somewhere, correct ?

The "White" wire connects to the Positive (+) terminal.

The "Black" wire connects to the negative (-) terminal.

Once these wires are disconnected from the camper battery, there should be NO power coming into them.

Once you have tested this and confirmed the wires don't have power, you can take things one step further if you like?

Secure the camper wires inside the camper so they are not touching each other, cover the tips of the wire with electrical tape so they don't accidentally touch something and spark, hop out of the truck, start your truck, and the hop back in the camper and test the wires again while the truck is running. They should then show 12v power coming in because the battery separator should have opened.

Hope this helps. Feel free to call if you need any other help.

: )

PS: Do you have a Grandby Model, or a 2006 Kestrel Model? Wasn't sure?

Attachments

• Battery Separator 33.jpg
    Battery Separator 33.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 149
  • battery separator #20.jpg
    battery separator #20.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 136
Back
Top Bottom