North-Eastern CA / Southern Oregon recommendations?

Tradmonkey

I'm making the trek from San Diego to Bend Oregon with my Tacoma and Four-Wheel camper, leaving Aug 10th and returning by the 28th. Will be visiting my sister in Bend and standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the masses to see the eclipse.

But for the rest of the trip, I'll be camping, backpacking, fishing and exploring some places I've never been. I welcome any suggestions or recommendations of places to go or things to see between Bridgeport and Bend. Suggestions for dispersed camping sites or areas would be appreciated too.

Interests include:
- Fly Fishing (will be working on the CA heritage trout challenge on this trip)
- ham Radio (specifically, peak bagging and operating from mountain tops for Summits on the Air)
- Rockhounding
- Photography
- Rock climbing

I'm relatively unfamiliar with that part of both states, so any tips or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Adam

Rock climbing: Smith Rock State Park, near Terrebonne, OR...but you probably already knew that one. ;)
It's kinda hot for climbing...but if you go to the shady side in the morning might be OK. I was out at Smith last weekend to hike, and I saw folks climbing -- some of them in full sun!

Crater Lake is great but if you are on I-5/139/97 try Lava Beds NM near Tule Lake and in general the Medicine Lake area on the way up or down . If you are on 395 N//S head east from Lakeview or south from Burns and go to Frenchglen and the neatest of the neat places the Steens Mountain high country area and take the SM loop! If you have more time head south to Fields for a milk shake/gas and the Alvord Desert and 140. Lots of places to see, just need to gas up when you have a chance!!

Smoke

Thanks, Crater Lake is on the list. We will be heading up 395, so I'll look into the other notable mentions. Thanks for the tips!

Adam

I have a number of ideas you can pick from. Most are included in my blog in a Sept 2013 trip. See link below.
  • Paisley caves. They are a world-class heritage site where the earliest directly-dated human remains (DNA) yet discovered in the Western Hemisphere were found in human coprolites dated to 14,280 years ago. There is nothing to see, you have to use your imagination.

• Sun Stones. Very well know site with some commercial operations. N42.73283° W119.87335°

• I had a wonderful time camping a Summer Lake Wildlife Refuge. N42.95156° W120.76335°

• Fossil Lake. Very approximate coord: N43.30589° W120.47231° This is dry lake bed that some summers have a college digs at. You can walk around and find very small bird fossils on the surface. I can send you an article and better coordinates if you are interested. Let me know.

• Fort Rock. Old volcano.

• ​Crack in the Ground. You have to enjoy geology to like the crack. N43.33251° W120.67640° http://www.fortrockoregon.com/Crack.html

• Painted Hills. East of Bend. This isn't on your way, but you will be close. It is really interesting. But with the masses of people in the area, you may want to save this for a different trip. N44.65462° W120.25291°

Have fun.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/2013/09/

You could try Likely Mt on your way for ham radio.Steens Mt would be good but a bit out your way.

Back
Top Bottom