Northern Sierra Fall Colors

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
We did a quick one-nighter, visiting Truckee, then heading north to loop 89 / 49 and back to Nevada City. Our objectives were to visit Perazzo Meadows, old Henness Pass went through here, the original Marysville to Reno wagon road. We completed the loop by continuing north to Gold Lakes Basin, then Sierra City/Downieville and back home.

This trip was a shakedown for the new dog, Callie. She's a four month old border collie mix, full of energy, but smart as a whip. Truth is, I took her out last week for a quickie fishing trip (but that's another story).

To bring our new pup with us, I made a platform for the back of the Tundra AC, so she could ride in the cab. I used scavenged materials in my garage, consisting of a 1/4" birch plywood 22x30 platform supported with a plywood panel to the floor and two 1x2 legs. I ran 1x4 KD DF around three sides. It's not fancy, but I glued and screwed it, and the legs are bolted with some scavenged nylocks I had laying around. It worked great. (pics if anyone cares?) She sits there with her chin on the back of our seats and naps even on rougher dirt roads. :) Susan declared it a success, which all I really need to hear. ;)

Our first stop was Truckee. I had a few photos I wanted for an assignment.

The Truckee River

We also hit up Diegos, by the rail tracks to get a batch of hot sauce. (where's the emoticon with devil's horns??) I scored a nice OR softshell ski jacket I intend to take skiing in the Selkirks for half price. :rolleyes:

Next up was 89 north, where the campgrounds were all empty and the traffic was light. The Little Truckee river crosses the two lane highway, with popular mtn bike trailheads at Hobart Mills. :D
We stopped for some guacamole and chips. The Little Truckee was looking drought-stricken, and was much worse higher up.

Onwards north to Jackson Meadows turnoff (Henness Pass). I read recently that there has been an aspen remediation treatment (read clear-cut of everything else) of 480 acres in this area. Local residents were protesting the dropping of trees in the 40" class. I thought the logging was concentrated on the road to Independence Lake, but it was also along Perazzo Meadows. It was strange to see such extensive clear cuts, leaving only the aspens. I didn't take many photos, but think it might make some good ski touring terrain with all the newly opened space. It will probably heal up in a few years, but the tree stumps were by the hundreds. :(

We took a break near the trailhead for Mt Lola, enjoying the afternoon sun.

Naptime with the dog :)

We found a great little FS camp spot for the night, just above the creek. No crowds on the shoulder season! There were two sites with rough plywood tables built onto trees. It got down to 26F outside, but we ran the Wave 3 with the vent left open several inches (!) all night. It got down to 55F inside, but everyone, including Callie slept well. It looked like a hunter's camp. It was clean, except for a couple dozen brass shells of a large, short bore. We saw anther site further up the L. Truckee, below Webber Falls but bags of trash were strew about and we didn't have the heart or the time to do the cleanup. [I'll be better prepared with some industrial trash bags next time.]

The colors were sparse but nice.

to be continued . . .

Our first stop was Truckee.

Ah, the world famous BoA. I wasted a few hours and bucks there in my youth.

Keep the photos coming, Lighthawk!

Ah, the world famous BoA. I wasted a few hours and bucks there in my youth.

Keep the photos coming, Lighthawk!

Who says those resources were wasted? You're still here!
I'm sure it's much more gentrified these days.

I have one other story from the evening before. We had been seeking Webber Falls. A friend had given vague directions, and we had driven past to Jackson Meadows several times this summer. But where were they? This time we kept on old Henness Pass (dirt) from Perazzo Meadows and stumbled into the falls. They were at a trickle this year. I'll have to check them out during melt out on a good snow year.

I spent too much time at the falls and missed getting sunset colors across Perazzo Meadows. I've located this overlook at the 5 mile marker (distance from Hwy 89) and will return for better light another day.

We walked out in the frozen morning, sipping our coffee, admiring the delicate frost crystals on the foliage. The Little Truckee was reduced to pools of water with dozens of trout trapped. I felt sorry for them and wondered if heron, raccoon and other predators were taking advantage.

to be continued . . .

My turn on out starts on Wednesday, "Bob" wants to play with your dog sometimes-wants tell him about rattlesnakes and what not to do!

:LOL:

Smoke

Callie would like to meet Bob, Smoke :)

This is the wrap up to our TR

Our last day we took FS09 from Hwy 49, just up the hill from Calpine, past Haskell Peak, all the way to Gold Lake Basin. We saw TWO bobcats along the way. The first one was a muscular dude. Wish my camera was quicker on the draw :(

We followed a lead from another FWC guy (Corbett) and explored Church Meadows to Mill Peak Lookout.

The views are spectacular. You can see Sierra Valley and Mohawk Valley (Graeagle) from the 7300' summit. Looking west you see Gold Lake and superb views of the Sierra Buttes.

The lookout was built in 1932, oriented on the NWSE axis. It's open for visitors until 6pm, but we were greeted with a body-less voice saying, "There's wet paint in here! Sorry!". Another day, I guess.

We met some young climbers in the parking lot. They told us there were some sport routes down the Mill Peak Trail. Sure enough, we walked down to admire the lichen covered gneiss with some bolt routes. We also saw lot's of MTB track, so I think this is a popular route. There's potential boondocking up there with fantastic views, BTW.

That's it for this trip. Another one on the way! We're heading out tomorrow to meetup with the 3pins, the Ted's and MarkBC. Woo hoo! It's gonna be some fine weather for fly fishing, hot springin', fall color photography and FWC friends! Oh, did I mention a puppy? :p

We're heading out tomorrow to meetup with the 3pins, the Ted's and MarkBC.

Andy, a little warning. My wife has a habit of trying to dognap fellow camper's dogs. She kept trying to get Diego, had Cort's dog Chelsey sleeping in our camper, and was eyeing Marc's dog Dylan at Overland Expo. it will be hard for her to stay away from a puppy. Better count heads when we leave. ;)

Back
Top Bottom