Odd problem with my Garmin Instinct watch

Old Crow

Searching....
I seem to be having more odd things than usual happen with electronics. The latest happened yesterday with my Garmin Instinct watch.

Before I start a walk I select the Hike profile to track time, distance, pace, heart rate, etc and start the bread-crumb trail on the teeny-tiny little map. After the hike, I can upload to Connect and see a map of my walk.

As I walked along yesterday I noticed the display wasn't changing time. At 17 minutes and some seconds into the walk, it had locked up. I thought perhaps a button had been pushed accidentally so played with them in various combinations but no luck.

When I returned home, I plugged it into the charger, hoping that might bring it out of the frozen state. No luck there either.

I got on the web to start researching what to replace it with but then thought I'd do a search for Garmin Instinct lockup. It turns out this is a known problem. And you get out of it by holding down the upper left button ('ctrl') until the watch reboots.

Once rebooted it came up showing the time as a few hours earlier, i.e., when it locked up. I stepped outside and hit the lower right button ('set') and scrolled to 'Set Time with GPS' and selected it.

Once I updated the time, I thought I was done. But at 9 pm I realized I hadn't taken my pill (I have alarms set at 8 am and 8 pm for that pill). I turned the alarms off and back on and that fixed it.

Interestingly, the watch had set off my 'Til Sunset' alert even though the pill alarms weren't working. (I have that one set to beep one hour before sunset.)

Thanks for the tip! I use the Instinct (which i don’t find it to be) Solar because it syncs with my Garmin dog collar, and I can see direction and distance of both dogs. I don’t wear it all the time because the strap irritates my wrist, but if I better understood the function settings, it would be handy… YouTube probably has everything explained, but being a retro grouch… I resist.

Back
Top Bottom