Older Hawk won't fit in newer Chevy

kitmann

Yikes. Recently replaced my tried and true 2001 Silverado with a 2013 Silverado and just discovered to my dismay that the truck bed opening at the tail gate is too narrow for my older Hawk. Also the gate opening is curved at bottom rather than right angle, further complicating things. Only four options here:
- Get a different truck ($$$)
- Get a new camper ($$$$$ + long time)
- Modify truck (cutting and welding, I don't think so)
- Modify camper, cutting rear lower side panels off and moving them in about an inch. On the right side, just storage, but the furnace is on the left.

Has anyone else had this problem or done what I am contemplating?

Of course, we were planning on leaving for a six week Baja trip the 1st of Feb... Feel free to call if you've done this Seven Oh Seven 834 Four Ate Nine Too.

Have not done this myself, but you could avoid the furnace by cutting 2" one side. Yes, the camper will sit slightly to one side.

You don't mention the year of your Hawk. I have a 2009 GMC with the curved bed opening at the back and a 2013 Hawk (which was actually made to fit a Ford). I just let the camper squish the rounded corners of the truck bed. Wasn't a big deal to me, being it's a truck box.

You can avoid this by putting 2X4s under the camper. This will raise it enough to prevent the bed corners from getting squished.

Old Crow,
Thank you for those links. Those disassembled photos really help visualize what it will take. And Vic, I also thought of only doing one side - the one without the appliances.
Thanks for your help.
Kit Mann
Blue Lake, CA

I would second maybe adding some lift to it. If you have it dialed in and it’s paid for adjust it to suit truck

I have a 2014 Hawk originally on a 2014 Tundra, bought a 2016 Silverado with the rounded bed at the gate so I took 2 sheets of 3/4 outdoor plywood and sealed them together and placed them under the camper, this raised it enough to give it about 1/4 inch on each side of the rounded bed.

A friend and I determined today that I will only need to cut out a section of the rear lower panels to accommodate the bulge at the bottom of the tailgate jamb. I will take photos of the project and post when I've done it.

kitmann said:
A friend and I determined today that I will only need to cut out a section of the rear lower panels to accommodate the bulge at the bottom of the tailgate jamb. I will take photos of the project and post when I've done it.
I look forward to seeing your results. Best of luck with the project.

hkyfsh said:
I have a 2014 Hawk originally on a 2014 Tundra, bought a 2016 Silverado with the rounded bed at the gate so I took 2 sheets of 3/4 outdoor plywood and sealed them together and placed them under the camper, this raised it enough to give it about 1/4 inch on each side of the rounded bed.
2 sheets of 3/4” plywood ads a lot of weight, right??

Yeah I guess it would add some additional weight. I wasn't worried about the weight and it was a last minute thing as I had the dealer drill holes in the bed for the eye bolts as part of the deal and we noticed the camper wouldn't seat when they were done so that was my quick solution. It works fine. If you are worried about the weight its probably not the best alternative.

I bought I used Hawk for my 2011 chevy silverado from a person who also had a 2011 silverado. The factory built his with a 'chevy notch' to accommodate the rounded tailgate opening and keep from having to shim up the camper. Perhaps FWC could provide the details of what they do otherwise the foam board to shim it up seems like a reasonable lightweight idea.

Did you ever end up finishing the project? I'm about to pick up my Hawk with a 13 Silverado that does not include the 'chevy notch' in it. Curious to see what needs to be modified for it to sit in the bed.

Mine is an older Hawk. Cut notches on both sides and filled in. On furnace side was just enough clearance. Also had to raise as noted by others and shown with 2x4s. I have a narrow water tank between cab and camper and run a water line to back of camper in the space created under the camper.
Good luck! IMG_1830.jpgIMG_1793.jpgIMG_1797.jpgIMG_1811.jpgIMG_1827.jpg

Thanks for the input everyone. I picked up my hawk and ended up going with the 2 inch foam in the bed as a platform. Worked out great.

Back
Top Bottom