On my way home from Black Rock

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit
Bob, Dean and I headed over to Gerlach and had lunch. Well, a very late breakfast as they did not have the lunch menu out yet. But there was an Asian girl having a sandwich in the booth behind us??????

I asked the bartender how the Jungo road thorough Sulphur to Winnemucca was. He said don't even try it unless you have 3 spares. I would never recommended that road to anyone.

Later at the gas pump I ran into the same Asian lady from the restaurant. Her name is Laura and works for the BLM measuring sand dunes on the playa. She lives in Winnemucca. Said teh Jungo Road is fine, use it all the time.

So off I go on teh Jungo road. First part a little rough but mostly good. Got into Winnemucca and had an early dinner as I didn't want to cook that night. Got about halfway to McDermitt and started looking for a place to spend the night. After all it was getting close to Happy Hour.

Saw a little road heading off the the East called Wild Horse Canyon. Looks good!! Raining pretty hard and two track road is very muddy. I went through a creek bed and climbing the other side I crossed a cattle guard. This thing was 8" above ground from erosion. After my front tires crossed and still and a good incline, I was stuck!!

Switched to 4x4. Nope, just bounced. OK, try out this new front locker. Switch on, a little gas, steering wheel gives a little tug to the left and over I go!!!! :cool:

Found a somewhat level clearing and set up. Watch a movie with my friend "Jack". Nope, laptop was not going to cooperate. The rain had quit by now so we just went outside and watched the sunset.

IM002340.jpg

IM002339.jpg

IM002343.jpg

Nice TR. Fun story about getting hung up on the cattle guard.
Good to have hardware to get you where you want to go.
Enjoyed the sunset photos.

I asked the bartender how the Jungo road thorough Sulphur to Winnemucca was. He said don't even try it unless you have 3 spares. I would never recommended that road to anyone.

A friend of mine really did get three flats on this road back in the old days. And since he only had two spares, he spent most of a day rolling a flat tire into Gerlach and then hitching a ride back to his rig with the repaired tire. Next he carefully drove back the Jungo road into Bruno's gas station to get the other tires repaired. I wonder if his tale is part of the Gerlach local memory?

Thanks for photos and report, Silvertip!

Back
Top Bottom