Optima BlueTop replacement for Exide

bimmeryota

Advanced Member
I was planning to replace my original Exide RV battery that came with my FWC with an optima that i was going to relocate to under my truck's hood but I was starting to compare specs as far as the C20 aH, which I think is the reserve capacity, and it appears to be significantly less than other deep cycle batteries from companies like interstate. I currently do not have a fridge but will get an engel fridge at some point. I have never had the factory battery level meter drop more than one light using the furnace or the fan for an extended period of time.

My concern is that my choice of a blue top to replace my physically larger/likely higher capacity Exide is going to result in draining my battery way quicker than now. I'm also not running solar, i was going to wait until we got the fridge going to see what I really needed for solar.

The Optima Blue Tops may not the best choice for this application. They are more of a 'dual purpose' battery than a deep cycle battery, meaning you give up Ah capacity and longevity in return for higher cranking amps. A similarly sized Optima has a lower capacity than other batteries. I am not a lead acid battery expert (I have lithium) but I am sure others will suggest better options, including Rolls, Odyssey and Lifeline. The other issue is that at least by anecdotal reports, Optima battery quality has taken a nose dive over the last few years and they are no longer worth the premium that they charge:
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/optima-battery-question-s.129641/

Okay, it seems to me that a blue top came with my Granby in 2005 (could be wrong there), when I bought it new! In any event, I up graded my set up a few years ago to two camper blue tops when I got rid of my 3 way frig and changed to a compression frig,Wave heater, and added a second blue top and another 100w solar panel! It took me a while (with some WTW friends help) to figure out how things worked and since then my set up is usually in the green (good) range when things like the frig and hot water heater are not on. By the way I started out with no solar and over the years slowly up graded to where I am! Hope that helps, owning one of thee things in a learning experience and part of the fun of having one!

Smoke

Yeah it seems like without the solar to support it during use, the blue top would not be the best choice. Too bad, I had an optima mount fabbed for a specific spot under my hood on the right front wheel well and it was a clean install but I'll have to figure out something else. Maybe I can fit a standard size deep cycle where the current starting battery is and move my optima starting battery to the new spot. I've also heard things about the change in optima quality. The one I have now has been good but not really been tested too much. The thing I like about the optima is the size, it's really compact and fits in the small engine compartment of my T100 perfectly in the auxilary spot.

Like many Eagle/Fleet and Finch/Swift owners on small trucks its playing the weight weenie game. Part of relocating the battery was for weight distribution as well as opening up some space in the front right corner for some cast iron cookware.

Optimas work well in my Jeep but I'd never try one in camper again. Learned my deep cycle lesson there.

craig333 said:
Optimas work well in my Jeep but I'd never try one in camper again. Learned my deep cycle lesson there.
Thanks for that input. Would running a winch off of a deep cycle be better than using a starting battery? If I keep this truck, that will be in it's future...

winching is more like starting than it is like running a fridge, right? HUGE current draw for a relatively short time.

Back
Top Bottom