Option Regrets?

cvc

Advanced Member
If you were to order another camper would you change your options list?

When I order another camper I will ask to have the rear wall reinforced so I can mount a fuel/water can on the right and a hi lift jack on the left, if it doesn't interfere with the thing that holds the door open.

I bought a hitch mounted cargo carrier to haul this stuff, but I like the look when they're mounted to the camper! Live and learn....

well, i bought mine used so didn't really have any say in the options but i agree 100% with getting the wall reinforced...in my opinion that should be an option from the start. i would love to mount the hilift/jerry can etc. on the back out of the way. still trying to figure that out...was thinking about a roof rack but thinking twice because of the issues with added weight when popping the camper. i am also wishing i had a double battery hook up with solar panels too...so maybe i would order that as well. oh yea, and i really like fwc's new fold out bed/couch so i'd take on of those as well!

Option choices

Like DD, we don't use the slider much. The only time I use it is when I am hauling long pieces of wood from Home Depot and have to run it into the truck cab. We have never had a need to pass anything from the camper to the cab. Also, the force of the wind while driving in rain tends to push water through the weather seal between the solid glass and sliding section, i.e. - wet interior.

i really like the sliding window...good for listening to music in the camper and hollerin' at the dogs from the front of the truck:D !

The one thing I liked about the front slider was that it still allowed a little ventilation even when it was raining.

good point about the ventilation, also can help air the camper out while driving in the rain. with 2 dags and 2 people we get a little condensation when its cold at night...leaving the slidder open help aleviate that a bit too.

Wish we had gotten the extended bed for the extra mattress room and less hassel setting up/taking down. We have more hassel than most I suppose because wife needs extra padding or her hips get sore.

Haven't decided yet if I wish we had gotten the Granby instead of the Hawk, or ATC equivilent. Will need to get more time under the roof. Need to travel lighter!

I'm with Kilroy the extended bed would be a big advantage. Like Erod mine have all been used so its pretty much live with it. The last one had a sliding front window and we never used it. Oh yeah a screen door would be great.

I dont how many of you use the cook top. We have never used it but I guess if we were in a driving monsoon it would be nice. My feeling is we could live without it. And it seems to me the furnace is a little steep and a HeatBuddy with an open window would solve the heating problem for a lot less money.

Jay

we use the cook top and the heater a lot hear in MT. and they are nice! i need both for sure...used a portable buddy for ever and it did the job but the forced air heat is the way to go...for me at least!

I use my stove mostly for making coffee. I'll get the pot all ready the night before so all I have to do is light the burner. Then I can take care of my morning needs while the coffee is on. If I'm not solo then breafast is usually a big deal and I need another burner anyway.

I have a new regret. As much as I love my Hawk I'm really sorry I didn't opt for a new ATC. Ben and the guys not only produce a great product, their product knowledge and the help they've given me and others over the past year shows what kind of outfit they run. And don't even get me started on how they're going out of their way to get a new screen door assembly to me. When you come accross a company like this you just want to do business with them.

I just returned from a week in Moab with 105+ temperatures and would have gone sleepless if I didn't have the front vent / fan to keep a breeze on the bed. It also helps when you're just sitting on the couch.

I didn't order the front slider because I didn't have one in the truck but it was delivered with one anyway. It has come in handy for allowing window cleaning access. It can also be used for ventilation if the bugs aren't too bad.

I haven't used the awning, rear steps or water heater / shower very often but I think they'll get a good workout on next years Baja trip.

I like the refrigerator but it wasn't able to keep up with the Moab heat during the day.

CR,
Did you get a chance to get down to Bluff for a float trip to Mexican Hat? Well worth a detour and its not too far from Moab. We a were all over the area last summer. It had been 10 years since we'd been in Moab. Wow!!! Urban sprawl has taken over the town I remembered with just one paved road.

magic fan - thats what Stan called it - really works

Camelracer:
my unit has the "magic fan" ....the small fan out on the vent duct on the fridge. IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE!!!! wow.
on really hot days the cooling seems to diminish....flip on the fan and BOOM! its all frosty again!

Jeff,
Does it look like that fan can be retroed? Ben told me the fridge is supposed to be 40 degrees lower than ambient. So in 100+ it aint tooooo cool. Does the fan make a huge dif? Can you take a pic of it?
Thanks.

its inside the upper exterior grille.....tough to see without backing out all those square drive screws.....

40 below ambient? odd....i had the inside of the unit below 40...i keep a thermometer in it. in fact i have been testing it to see how it behaves as my gas runs out. i had thought that it was over with due to reduced gas pressure...but no way....it was over a 100....4th and 5th was hot....i flipped the fan on a got a good surprise.

the tank says empty but stove hot water and fridge are still good.

Jay,
I went throught Bluff and Mexican Hat on the way home but didn't stop. Couldn't wait to get back to the cool Santa Barbara mornings. I plan to go back and spend more time in the area but it will be in the spring or fall. The area is beautiful and there are great Jeep trails everywhere you look.

Jeff,
I have the refrigerator vent fan and it helped a little but not enough. The first couple of days I was in a park with shore power and tried the frig on both propane and 110v. The propane seemed to work better but not enough for an icy cerveza. I could freeze water bottles in the freezer over night when it cooled off a little but during the day the frig wouldn't stay cool enough to keep the food from spoiling. Maybe the box just isn't insulated well enough.

Back
Top Bottom