Options For Outside Thermometer?

XJINTX

OK, I know maybe better place to ask but... I'm from TX and it very seldom gets below freezing. However we travel a lot and in mountains often. I have a Kestral for checking temps outside when I'm physically outside. If in cell service I can check what outside temps are with cell but... when we wake up we'd like to know what temp is outside while sipping morning coffee ;) What is a good outside thermometer that maybe sticks to window? If not what is a good wireless that I can install. I have a wireless at home but it's pretty bulky :(

Thanks and I'll delete from this post if to off topic.

You could always use a stick on window thermometer attached to the rear window of the truck where camper warmth would be minimized and observe it through front camper window. Lots of different kinds on Amazon.

Paul

[ski, I'm confused - is this the new topic? or should I find the post somewhere else in order to reply?]

XJINTX, I just use a cheap wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer from Amazon. I love seeing how cold it got overnight. It also provides a better indication of the inside temp.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-04-WHITE-Thermometer-Temperature/dp/B008NOHMVA/

I'll place the remote outside when I set up the camper. I'll chose a protected place that won't have the sun shining on it in the morning. If all else fails I'll set it on top of a rear tire. I don't put the inside unit away until I retrieve the remote. I've been doing this for years and haven't lost a remote yet - knock on wood.

I use this one from Oregon Scientific but they have tons to choose from. https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Scientific-THT328-Window-Thermometer/dp/B000WR87RE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486145137&sr=8-1&keywords=oregon+scientific+tht328

Acurite makes a bunch. I have a nicer one I got for christmas, from La Crosse that shows humidity and all but its kinda large, still debating if I want to mount it in the camper or leave it at home.

Thanks for the reminder, the one in room window needs new batteries!

THANKS GUYS!!! Now I have to decide ;) Craig I like the one you linked simple and inexpensive if I don't like.

I kinda liked PaulT's response...two relatively cheapo rubber cupped thermostats, one inside your rig and one attached to the rear window of the truck cab that you can see through the front window of the camper. No batteries to sort out and if you forget to remove the one on the truck window it will probably STAY there even on the ride home.

I had one of those cupped ones I turned the cup around the body of the thermo on and stuck it to the outside of the camper window when I set up camp. Then I could read it from inside the camper.

I use this one from AcuRite. Need to buy a new sensor (AcuRite does sell one) as I forgot to move inside from where I had it hanging. I you mount it outside it must be out of the rain. I like the high/low temps so I know how hot or cold it was. Note you can change the reset time for high low by removing and putting back the battery. I have mine reset at noon.

Have any of you that use wireless I/O thermometers mount the outdoor senders permanently? If so, where? And do they hold up on rough roads?

jim

They hold up on rough roads but need to be dry. I had one under the side so it was out of the rain. However it died driving in a downpour. I now have a new sensor mounted in side the propane door. Not sure how good the reading is but close to outside.

fwc.jpg
JaSAn said:
Have any of you that use wireless I/O thermometers mount the outdoor senders permanently? If so, where? And do they hold up on rough roads?

jim

I mounted an outside sensor on one of the lower rear tiedown access doors. Figured it would show an accurate temp not affected by sun. I carry the readout in the cab when driving so I can see how hot it is outside.

Back
Top Bottom