Origins of pop ups

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
The pop up concept has been done by many manufactures. I wonder how many types have been built over the years. I saw this ad in a '67 Desert Magazine I was checking out on scribs.com

The camper looks more modern than the truck! Or maybe trucks have evolved more than campers?

gallery_2472_286_15595.jpg

Interesting find! A local retired school teacher stopped me at the Post Office the other day when I drove in with our rig. She told me the story that her father had developed a pop up camper - like ours - and was featured in a 1950's article in Popular Mechanics. That would be a fun one to find also.

A friend of mine has an early 1970's vintage hard sided popup made by a local company very similar to the one above. He loves it - he used to roll around with it in his vintage 1972 pickup. It now sits in his newer Dodge and just doesn't have the same charm :D

A friend of mine has an early 1970's vintage hard sided popup made by a local company very similar to the one above. He loves it - he used to roll around with it in his vintage 1972 pickup. It now sits in his newer Dodge and just doesn't have the same charm :D

When my Dad retired in 1970 he bought a new Alaskan popup camper and a Dodge truck and he and my mom traveled the country. I thought it was only fitting that I bought a popup for my upcoming retirement. I did put it on a new Dodge but I went for the FWC Raven because the Alskan is too heavy and expensive.

Back
Top Bottom