Out with the old and in with the new

Oryguntroutbum

After six years with a fully loaded Hawk, and a ton of great memories, I will be saying goodbye to my camper on Friday. It will be sad to part with it but I’m excited to start fresh with a new Hawk shell and do a build out specific to me. Having the well equipped Hawk has given me a great chance to recognize what options I really enjoy and use, and those I don’t utilize.

My new camper won’t be ready until this coming summer so I will have ample time (too much) to plan my build. My shell was ordered with rear wall steps, furnace/propane, extra power vent, and smooth aluminum siding. Other than that it will be a blank canvas.

I will be adding lithium power with a RedArc management system which will also give me shore power. I am planning on a 160-200 watt panel mounted on Rhino Rack tracks. Also a Rhino Rack Bat Wing awning.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has feedback on either of those two systems.

CTR

I recently purchased a camper & truck over 2000 miles away from home, which the day before I went to get, the seller discovered both alternator charging and solar charging were not working.
Long story, but a local dealer couldn't figure out the issue and didn't have a stand-alone solar charger in stock.. But did have the RedArc system. I had the person selling the camper get the RedArc for me, and deliver the camper to me at the airport.

So, not a lot went in to my decision to get it. But, I was able to replace the 3 factory charging systems w/ it while I was out camping in 1/2 a day. First time ever taking a camper apart. It's a simple, clean install. It works well. It's relatively expensive, but so is buying three new separate victron smart components (MPPT, DC/DC, AC/DC).

The one thing that almost had me replace the Redarc system.. actually still thinking about it. It cannot handle any voltages over 32. Even the solar MPPT input is 32v max. So solar panel choices are limited.

wicked1 said:
I recently purchased a camper & truck over 2000 miles away from home, which the day before I went to get, the seller discovered both alternator charging and solar charging were not working.
Long story, but a local dealer couldn't figure out the issue and didn't have a stand-alone solar charger in stock.. But did have the RedArc system. I had the person selling the camper get the RedArc for me, and deliver the camper to me at the airport.

So, not a lot went in to my decision to get it. But, I was able to replace the 3 factory charging systems w/ it while I was out camping in 1/2 a day. First time ever taking a camper apart. It's a simple, clean install. It works well. It's relatively expensive, but so is buying three new separate victron smart components (MPPT, DC/DC, AC/DC).

The one thing that almost had me replace the Redarc system.. actually still thinking about it. It cannot handle any voltages over 32. Even the solar MPPT input is 32v max. So solar panel choices are limited.
That’s good to know. If I remember right a 160 watt panel puts out about 18 volts so I think I would be fine with a 160-200, especially with the benefits of lithium over AGM and the limited items I would be running in a small camper. I could see how that could be an issue for a large RV or someone who has specializes equipment they needed to run.

Even the overland 160 panels will not work. Their VOC is 33, and max volts is listed as 40.

Sounds like a good plan. I rebuilt an old one to our liking. Its nice to have one exactly that way I want it. Only thing I would have done differently is add solar during the rebuild. For some reason it didn't occur to me and adding it after the fact was a pain, but it is one.

What are you plans?

wicked1 said:
Even the overland 160 panels will not work. Their VOC is 33, and max volts is listed as 40.
I’ll have to do some checking on that because the FWC dealer quoted me the whole system and that’s the panel they picked. They said they had just finished the same install. I’ll let you know what they say.

BBZ said:
Sounds like a good plan. I rebuilt an old one to our liking. Its nice to have one exactly that way I want it. Only thing I would have done differently is add solar during the rebuild. For some reason it didn't occur to me and adding it after the fact was a pain, but it is one.

What are you plans?
Still researching how the panel will be mounted. The newer campers have solar plugs pre-wired in the ceiling and rear so that’s nice. No need to drill through the roof for wiring.

Oryguntroutbum said:
I’ll have to do some checking on that because the FWC dealer quoted me the whole system and that’s the panel they picked. They said they had just finished the same install. I’ll let you know what they say.
Please do write back in this thread about what they say.

I wrote to RedArc w/ the specs of the overland 160 panels, and they said no, that will cause the system to shut down as soon as it goes over 32v.
But, maybe the voltage is exaggerated in the specs of the panel or something.. Malybe that 33v VOC is really less. Maybe that 40v "max voltage" is never reached. Maybe in the 'real world' it's fine.
It would sure make my life easier if I could just use the overland panels!!!

This is the response from them, when I asked:

"
Thank you for your reply and kind words.

Unfortunately my friend, the Manager30 limit on the MPPT Solar input is 32Volts VOC, it will not accept 33Volts not even for a second… and will cause an error to be displayed accordingly.

There are plenty of 12Volts panels available however these panel you have chosen will not be compatible…
"

I was thinking... W/ the 12 or 14 gauge wire they used in the 2015 campers, the voltage drop is probably enough to eliminate the issue for me.. But maybe not for the OP.
Not sure where they get that "max 40v" in their specs, as that is not a spec that most panels offer. It's usually just VMP and VOC.

The system will stop pulling current from the panels when the battery is full, though, so it will definitely jump up to VOC.

If it's not too late, you should ask the factory to put the Yakima tracks on top of the roof for you. You can figure out a way to mount your panels on them. Having the factory do it saves you from having to drill holes in your roof. You don't want to do that.

Seattle Mitch said:
If it's not too late, you should ask the factory to put the Yakima tracks on top of the roof for you. You can figure out a way to mount your panels on them. Having the factory do it saves you from having to drill holes in your roof. You don't want to do that.
It’s easy to install the tracks. I’m not too concerned with that. I’ve had poor luck with some Yakima products. I’m going to go with Rhino Rack for the track and awning.

Back
Top Bottom