Over Cab Storage For Privacy Tent

Yukon

When we travel we sometimes, but infrequently, would like to have small privacy tent for toilet or showering. I found a simple and inexpensive tent. When folded, it is about 2.5 inches thick, and 28 inches in round diameter. Where to put it? Very little space in truck or camper.

So I built an over-cab storage cabinet. It could be used for other things like ladders, etc. It is water proof and has weather stripping on the little door. It can be locked. The photos show the tent, the storage box with the door partially open and tent 1/2 pushed in.

I'm just sharing an idea for those seeking extra storage. Needless with only 3 inches of opening height, it won't hold a lot of different things. It works great for my tent.

Chris

Attachments

• Top view2.jpg
    Top view2.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 309
  • Mounted2.jpg
    Mounted2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 312
  • Mounted1.jpg
    Mounted1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 311
  • tent photo.jpg
    tent photo.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 263
Looks like a very useful storage cabinet. I wanted to build one for my prior Hawk and my new Hawk only has 2-3" of clearance to the top of my cab so there's not enough clearance. What kind of scews did you use to attach the cabinet? I'm thinking of putting a 6" PVC tube conduit carrier in the corner just above the front window but have been reluctant to just start putting holes in the walls.

We have the same tent for outside showers if privacy is needed off road; which it seldom is. But the tent also protects from wind!

That tent folds down into a very small thin package that fits nicely behind our front seats in the area of the Access Cab where the rear seats were entirely removed; along with several Rubbermaid boxes the 'tent' slips right in.

I made a "rack" using Yakima towers/bars and a thin piece of plywood using u-bolts to place the 'rack' 3/8" above the cab roof and we load dry bags, shovel, axe on it, but always keep a couple of inches of space between the load and the Hawk overhang...

Remember the FWC overhang can flex down toward the cab and contact would be very bad indeed..but again we are doing a load of rock crawling off roading.

Phil

Great minds think alike!! I did the same but use the space for my portable solar panel. I added a "V" shaped aluminum wind foil in front as well and it helps mileage as well as keeping rain from hitting the box.

Attachments

• IMG_9552.jpg
    IMG_9552.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 193
I used regular wood screws with some glue. I too was a bit concerned about the clearance issue. I don't do too much 'rock crawling' so we'll see. I used to have a solar panel in that same spot. I ended up putting solar on the roof because I wanted battery to be charging while driving. Thanks for feedback! Chris

buckland said:
Great minds think alike!! I did the same but use the space for my portable solar panel. I added a "V" shaped aluminum wind foil in front as well and it helps mileage as well as keeping rain from hitting the box.
Buckland, I'm building something similar right now, and curious about that locking mechanism. Have you got some detailed pics?

Actually it is a simple barrel lock.. Same as on the water fill door. My camper is tucked against the wall for winter so no other photos. The barrel must be long enough for the thickness of the door.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

I think a barrel lock keyed the same as your other locks would make the most sense.
It will keep honest people out and be the most convenient to yourself.
Easy to install, attain and affordable.

If you put anything stronger on there, all means is more repair to do if a true bad guy actually wants in.

I don't think I am hijacking this thread, but.... I did a test fit of my camper/truck combo today and the undercab storage box I made is too deep for the combo. The box just touches the roof :(

So, I either remove it or slide some plywood under the camper. What is the recommended amount of clearance between truck roof and the cabover? I will unlikely ever get into serious off-roading... moderate trails, maybe.

Also, if I raise the camper say two inches (leaving me about 1 3/4" gap) my Hawk will sit 5 1/2" higher than the truck's bed rails. That will look ugly! I will likely want to build some boxes to put into that space. I've seen some of those elsewhere. Any posts you find on that would be wonderful to add here!

Very cool storage ideas an uses. I have one of those tents too but just toss it in the camper. Even with my full load out it fits no problem. I could see storing a solar panel or my camp table there. Not sure about the clearance however and it seems every trip my stock turnbuckles loosen and there is movement of the camper. I would not want it hitting the cab of the truck.

My 2011 Eagle pictured above on a 2016 Colorado has the same height above cab as my 2001 Tacoma had....because ... I had to raise the camper for the side rails on the Colorado. When that was done they are the same over cab. I have taken both places that would scare the bejesus out of many....the roof clearance is 1"..... never a problem. IF I were you...and I am not.... don't raise a camper for storage space ...not worth it ... higher center of gravity so you can store a box of stuff is .... too much work.

buckland said:
My 2011 Eagle pictured above on a 2016 Colorado has the same height above cab as my 2001 Tacoma had....because ... I had to raise the camper for the side rails on the Colorado. When that was done they are the same over cab. I have taken both places that would scare the bejesus out of many....the roof clearance is 1"..... never a problem. IF I were you...and I am not.... don't raise a camper for storage space ...not worth it ... higher center of gravity so you can store a box of stuff is .... too much work.
Ditto on not raising the camper to gain a minimal amount of over the cab storage space... "Penny wise and pound ....."

thanks guys.... Centre of Gravity comes to mind as a good reason not to raise it. But, where to store two 60" x 24" x 2" solar panels becomes the question now...

Vic

Vic Harder said:
thanks guys.... Centre of Gravity comes to mind as a good reason not to raise it. But, where to store two 60" x 24" x 2" solar panels becomes the question now...

Vic
If you are running the truck in your signature, a 2500 GMC, That's a pretty stout truck for a Hawk shell. I don't think C/G will be a problem. But if you were wanting to raise the camper for storage, It would make more sense to put the weight between the bed and the camper after you raised it, rather than above the cab. Many hardside campers have a "basement" under the camper.

Vic Harder said:
I don't think I am hijacking this thread, but.... I did a test fit of my camper/truck combo today and the undercab storage box I made is too deep for the combo. The box just touches the roof :(

So, I either remove it or slide some plywood under the camper. What is the recommended amount of clearance between truck roof and the cabover? I will unlikely ever get into serious off-roading... moderate trails, maybe.

Also, if I raise the camper say two inches (leaving me about 1 3/4" gap) my Hawk will sit 5 1/2" higher than the truck's bed rails. That will look ugly! I will likely want to build some boxes to put into that space. I've seen some of those elsewhere. Any posts you find on that would be wonderful to add here!
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/14010-eyebolts-installation-video/

The installer in this video mentioned a good 1/2" clearance minimum above the bed rails.

He seemed content with the 3" clearance over the cab, but did not give a minimum figure.
I'm assuming when they built that camper, they knew what type of truck it was being made for.
I don't think I would be comfortable with less than 2". I think you'd be asking for trouble with anything less.

BTW, you can easily build something under the bed rail section. Grey water catch etc.

shellback said:
If you are running the truck in your signature, a 2500 GMC, That's a pretty stout truck for a Hawk shell. I don't think C/G will be a problem. But if you were wanting to raise the camper for storage, It would make more sense to put the weight between the bed and the camper after you raised it, rather than above the cab. Many hardside campers have a "basement" under the camper.
I am running that truck and camper combo. I like the thought of that basement too. Also don't want a huge windcatcher between truck cab and cabover, which is why I started down this path in the first place. Just miscalculated by 1"

I would not claim to be an expert on this subject, but I would not attempt to raise the whole camper off the bed of the truck. Building another box is not that hard to do and avoids other kinds of risks. Chris

3/4" clearance between cab roof and my hanging basket on slightly less than rock crawling trails it has never touched even with 30# of firewood up there. It's a great place if you can make things secure

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

hebegebe said:
3/4" clearance between cab roof and my hanging basket on slightly less than rock crawling trails it has never touched even with 30# of firewood up there. It's a great place if you can make things secure
Hmmm... that isn't much at all. What kind of truck? I bet torsional rigidity varies a bit between models/makes.

Hawk/ tundra combo. I had a 1ton Chevy with steel rack and it rode well with 1" clearance. Guess it depends on how twisted you need to get!

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom