Overnight camping In Elko, NV

LT Traveler

Anyone have an overnight camping spot very close to Elko, NV? I need to be in Elko early in the morning and can't afford a longer drive in the morning? Sleeping in the camper, no hookups required but don't want to have to poach/pretend I'm not sleeping in my camper; prefer not to be in some parking lot.

Thanks.

Anyone have an overnight camping spot very close to Elko, NV? I need to be in Elko early in the morning and can't afford a longer drive in the morning? Sleeping in the camper, no hookups required but don't want to have to poach/pretend I'm not sleeping in my camper; prefer not to be in some parking lot.

Thanks.

LT there is supposed to be some sort of state park in that area.Don't know how close it is to Elko.You can search DD camping usa site and find some places in that area.
Frank

LT,

Only been there once, in July 2011, and wasn't truck camping to begin with, so this is "just a hunch":

NV 225 runs north out of Elko. You're away from town pretty quickly (no long stretch of suburbs, etc). It's a ways up to Wild Horse Reservoir (dunno--25-30 miles?) but there are campgrounds up there. I'd expect much of the entire distance from Elko to Wild Horse is BLM land (which I suppose a Benchmark Nevada Atlas would show).

NV 227 and 228 leave Elko to the south, and a sizable community exists along 228 at Spring Creek. NV 227, however, goes by South Fork State Recreation Area around 10 miles south of town. East and west of Elko you're along the Humboldt River, the transcontinental railroad, I-80, and a non-stop string of ranches. My guess is you'd need to venture north or south a few miles to get onto some public land.

Foy

It's not the best area as far as campgrounds go. Here's a map of them:

http://www.camping-usa.com/campgrounds/nevada/elko/

Looks like your best bet might be South Fork State Recreation Area. Note that the campgrounds in the nearby Ruby Mountains are all Summer only.

From publiclands.org

South Fork State Recreation Area, Nevada
Description: South Fork Reservoir covers 1,650 acres and is surrounded by 2,200 acres of wildlife-filled meadow lands and rolling hills. It is popular for hunting, camping, boating, picnicking, winter sports and wildlife viewing. The park is best known for its trophy-class trout and bass fishery. Facilities include a boat launch, campground, trailer dump station and picnic area.

Thomas Canyon Campground, Nevada
Description: Elevation 7,600 feet. 63 campsites; including 5 double sites (for up to 16 campers), 1 accessible site, and 10 RV only sites. The campground is shaded by cottonwoods in Lamoille Canyon at the mouth of Thomas Canyon. High towering scenic cliffs completely surround the campground.
Location: Approximately six miles southeast of Lamoille, along the Lamoille Scenic Byway (FR 660).

Maybe dispersed camping?
Lamoille Canyon Scenic Byway, Nevada
Description: 13.5 miles-long road winds up glacially-formed Lamoille Canyon, often called Nevada`s Yosemite. Waterfalls in spring, fall colors in autumn, trailhead access to Ruby Mountains Wilderness and Ruby Crest Natl. Recreation Trail. Wildlife viewing: watch for mountain goats and big horn sheep. Scenic driving in the heart of the Ruby Mountains.

Ok thanks all. I'll try to get out there early enough to find something suitable. Need to be in Elko early in the morning the following morning so don't want to be far from town.

Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom