Overnighter to the Capitans

highz

Retreaded
The nice thing about living in a National Forest is that getting away for the weekend can involve camping without having to drive too far.

On Saturday, I packed up the Eagle for an overnighter to the Capitan mountains in Lincoln county, NM. This is the old stomping grounds of Billy the Kid, and the center of the Lincoln County War.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_County_War

I aimed for Baca campground, at the base of the Capitan mountains. This was my first visit to this campsite, and I thought at first it must be a BLM campsite because of all the cow pies. The campsite is undeveloped and most sites just have fire rings. I bounced over a rocky access road to a site at the corner of the campground away from a couple of RVs and their generators. I was delighted to find that just behind my campsite was little Baca springs creek. This would be a nice campground if it weren't for all the garbage left by other campers, the tearing up of the ground by ATVs --- and the cow pies.

1) My campsite at Baca
2) Baca Springs creek
3) A view of the Capitans from Baca campground
4) What's left of an old ranch house at Bca camp

Attachments

• Baca_site.jpg
    Baca_site.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 275
  • BacaSpringsCreek.jpg
    BacaSpringsCreek.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 268
  • Capitans.jpg
    Capitans.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 282
  • fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 271
The next morning, after coffee and pancakes, I broke camp and headed for Capitan Gap, a gravel then dirt road through a pass in the Capitans. Near the pass, there were a couple of nice dispersed campsites. Next time, I'll avoid the cowpies and generators at Baca. There is a nice view of Sierra Blanca as you go down the south side of Capitan gap.

After hiking around a little at Capitan Gap, it was time to head back home. All in all, a nice little break from work.

1) Parked at Capitan Gap
2) View of Sierra Blanca from Capitan Gap

Attachments

• Cap_gap.jpg
    Cap_gap.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 274
  • SierraBlanca.jpg
    SierraBlanca.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 264
yeah, nice pictures. What were temperatures like?

Seasonal. Highs in the mid-sixties, lows in the mid-thirties, I think. To be honest, I never checked the thermometer.

I miss New Mexico

Did some work in Roswell and Hondo when I lived in Taos. The Capitans are a pretty range.

Love the drive from Vaughn to Roswell. 100 miles of road, fence and nothing else.

Thanks for the pics

S

Back
Top Bottom