Patching the camper after fridge removal?

UglyScout

Contributors
What have you guys/gals done after you pulled out the factory fridge? I have 2 big holes in the outside and a mess on the inside. I figure I will build a new empty box/space/shelf for my edgestar on the inside and trim it all out so it looks nice and works.

On the outside I am not quite sure which direction to go - put the access panels back on and just seal them up? Find the correct aluminum siding and rivit in on and try and make clean patches? leave the black trash bag I have duct taped to the outside in place and just run it :D

Also - will I kick my self if I don't build slides for the cooler so I can pull it out in the walkway?

If it were mine, I'd probably install a couple of those locking hatch/access doors in place of the vents and be done with it.

I have always been the one to think about the resell. Custom jobs are great but might not be for the buyer. The outside get the panels (vent) and cover the inside of door for wx. Inside camper, can't go wrong with a shelf or two. And u might change your mind about a fridge down the road, and a little work its up an running.........

Off the get go I'd be inclined to thermally seal off the holes with foam board caulked into place, then put the vents back on the exterior to shed the weather and keep the cosmetics up.

In the long haul you could think about replacing the siding on that side, I don't think a patch job would look that good.

common in the marine applications we would use white starboard/UHMW cut to fit with routered edges. It looks good and seals well if you stainless self tapping screws and a good sealant (LifeSeal by Boatlife). Just a thought....

I took out the fridge and the furnace that was below it. Added some reflectix and some fiberglass insulation, put in a couple shelves on drawer slides and cover it with a net while traveling. Mt Wave 3 actually sits on the floor in that space and swing out for use. Here is a pic from the outside and the furnace cover, looks the same on the fridge vents.
912537545_ivht6-M.jpg

I am in the process of swaping out my 3-way for a AC/DC model at the moment and I am wondering why is it no longer ok to use outside ventilation with the existing vents, seems kind of odd to cut a vent hole on the inside when there is perfectly good air out.

Any thoughts or comments on this?

I took out the fridge and the furnace that was below it. Added some reflectix and some fiberglass insulation, put in a couple shelves on drawer slides and cover it with a net while traveling. Mt Wave 3 actually sits on the floor in that space and swing out for use. Here is a pic from the outside and the furnace cover, looks the same on the fridge vents.
912537545_ivht6-M.jpg

I ended up doing the same thing as the picture - put the vents back on and sealed the crap out of it with reflectix, aluminum tape and some silicone caulking for good measure. I then built a new back wall out of 1/4" birch plywood to cover up the wires and propane line going to the heater. Not the best looking solution but the easiest - and my camper is far from the best looking camper around.

My 12v cooler style fridge/freezer does not need to be vented to the outside so this worked for me.

My 12v cooler style fridge/freezer does not need to be vented to the outside so this worked for me.

Mine does not either but as it does needed to be vented / cooled, I am wondering if anyone is some how using the existing outdoor vents instead of patching outside and butching the inside in changing the path of airflow...

Mine does not either but as it does needed to be vented / cooled, I am wondering if anyone is some how using the existing outdoor vents instead of patching outside and butching the inside in changing the path of airflow...

I'm curious too, why can't you use the outside vents for ventilation? I just picked up my Nova Cool R2600 DC fridge to replace the 3-way Norcold. My plan was to use the outside vents. I was going to be a "divider" between the upper and lower vents to help force airflow.

Curious on thoughts too?

I don't see any reason you can't vent outside if you wanted the difference is now you don't have to if you don't want to. Most folks want to have less openings into the rig for weather and cold to enter in from.

I'm curious too, why can't you use the outside vents for ventilation? I just picked up my Nova Cool R2600 DC fridge to replace the 3-way Norcold. My plan was to use the outside vents. I was going to be a "divider" between the upper and lower vents to help force airflow.

Curious on thoughts too?

Have you pulled out the exisiting fridge yet? It leaves a huge hole with zero weather protection. With the standard fridge you have a barrier between the inside and outside and it is sealed from wind and rain.

I could see using the exisitng vents to get air out - but you'd need to seal it up much better and add some type of rain/water protection. I don't think you want to leave it open and allow air to come in on its own.

The Nova Cool fridge is an exact size replacement for the Norcold 3-way. It will be installed and sealed to the interior just like the existing fridge is. This fridge is not a portable unit (like a typical Engel/AR:cool:.

If the current Norcold fridge is vented outside using the factory covers/panels, are they not weather resistant already? Why would a 3-way fridge be any less sensitive to water/weather than a DC only version? The 3-way has DC too.

The Nova Cool fridge is an exact size replacement for the Norcold 3-way. It will be installed and sealed to the interior just like the existing fridge is. This fridge is not a portable unit (like a typical Engel/AR:cool:.

If the current Norcold fridge is vented outside using the factory covers/panels, are they not weather resistant already? Why would a 3-way fridge be any less sensitive to water/weather than a DC only version? The 3-way has DC too.

I missed that part - if it seals up the hole just like the other fridge - I'm sure you could just leave the vents the way they are.

I'd still cover about half the vents to reduce the amount of rain/spray that go into the compressor/electronics of the new fridge.

Have you pulled out the exisiting fridge yet? It leaves a huge hole with zero weather protection. With the standard fridge you have a barrier between the inside and outside and it is sealed from wind and rain.

I could see using the exisitng vents to get air out - but you'd need to seal it up much better and add some type of rain/water protection. I don't think you want to leave it open and allow air to come in on its own.

This just does not make sense to me unless after removing the factory unit, you are not filling the fridge area with anything and are doing one of those top loaders instead.
The 3-way fridge I have in no way prevents rain, wash water, dust, spiders, Burning Man playa silt, hot air, cold air or any other thing from getting in the compartment. I spent over 300 days in my pop-up on the road in the past two years, even have insulation around the existing fridge, stuff gets in there, period.

Not that I plan to sell my rig, but in case I do, I would rather adapt the existing vent system with all four seasons in mind than plug it up with some hokey crap and then cut a hole in the wood by the sink.

On my CR-1065 that I have on order, there is a provision in the height that accounts for a 1" intake at the bottom for cooling. That is going to be right next to the heater outlet. So I think I am going to use an outside air intake and exhaust system that still keeps me sealed from dust and drafts but cools the unit. I am going to try to do it in a manner in that I can also get to the back of the fridge and dust it off once and awhile, something you can not do when the thing is all sealed up.

I missed that part - if it seals up the hole just like the other fridge - I'm sure you could just leave the vents the way they are.

I'd still cover about half the vents to reduce the amount of rain/spray that go into the compressor/electronics of the new fridge.

OK, now we are all making sense. Glad I asked, I thought I was going crazy there for a mo...

Here is the Nova Kool (originally thought it was Cool with a C) fridge I bought.

cutout26_001.jpg
front19_002.jpg

r2600.jpg

Mine is all black on the front instead of the white. I do belive this panel can be changed too.

UglyScout,
I don't mean to dig up an old thread, but did you end up figuring out something to do with the interior/exterior after removing the fridge? I'm now in a similar situation with my stock norcold unit and am thinking about gutting it, and just building a simple cabinet to fill the space with lockable hatches on the outside so that my pantry can be accessed while cooking outside. Any thoughts or photos?

Cheers,
West

Even though this is an old thread thought I would ad to it.
Having had 4 FWC I have learned that 3 way frig set ups suck compared to an Engel/ARB w/solar.
It really is that simple no offense to the 3way fans. With a solar set up there is no running out,worrying,or additional issues.
If anything it increased the possibilities from storing our Engel in a campground bear box,
to moving it to a convenient location at camp.
If you set it to freeze you can make all the ice you like for a standard cooler , or get the 2 zone top for an Engel however I am not a fan of the latter. Because the upper portion of the lid is not tall enough for milk.
But the best thing....the sun powers it flawlessly even on rainy days.

Back to the topic's point.
You may consider a window in place of the vents if you go with an ac/dc portable.
Having purchased an Eagle with the propane door/container right behind the driver, I took it out and patched it with a window.
The more windows you install the bigger the camper feels inside, my Hawk has the big windows on both walls and it feels huge.
As far as venting, I redesigned the eye bolt access door so it's a removable yet adjustable vent/door .
With my Engel on the front floor it is right next to the vent/door which works well allowing access from the truck via rear window.
I hope this helps someone else that is researching a time tested solution that really works the best over all.

Switching to a compressor fridge And Solar is a lot of $$$$$$. Although I want this combo in the worst way, I don't think your average working stiff can justify the renovation for 30-50 days a year of camping (I only got 27 days in last year - ashamed) . I am still a working stiff. I can't look at that until I am in the camper at least 100 days a year. NOW ... if I was buying a camper new from FWC, It might be a serious consideration.

I would be interested to hear from those who live in the PNW or West Canada how their solar powers their compressor fridges?

How well does the solar work on overcast days - and I mean a week of over cast days?

It seems as though all the serious solar/compressor fridge fans live in the desert. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Back
Top Bottom